Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 16:34   #16

Re: Transportation from pacific coast Mexico- East coast US/Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
It could be a steal, if those pictures are current and if there is nothing being unsaid. You can assume it needs complete rerigging and when the age and condition of the sails are not mentioned, it probably needs new sails as well. Probably batteries and fuel polishing.

But if that's all it needs, it might be worth getting on a plan *now* and going down to be present for a survey with an immediate offer.

With that keel depth and beam, road transport becomes expensive. It becomes an oversize convoy, usually highly restricted in when and where it can travel, with a "follow me" car and a lead car in some places. And transferring the boat to a second trailer in Tucson (which doesn't seem like the right route to our east coast) is just two more expensive opportunities to drop the boat.

I'd say tell the dog you may be gone for a month, go down and see if the boat can be put in safe sailing condition without too many issues, and then look for a sailing crew to deliver it to the US east coast, or the US Gulf coast, for the longer refitting for the trip home. You have a narrow window right now. June begins hurricane season, and you could have problems sailing it to the US. (And insurance restrictions.)

But putting that boat on two, not just one but two, oversize trailer convoys....doesn't seem very economical. The logistics problems may be part of the reason why the owner has dropped the price. Or, more commonly, there are issues like a teak deck leaking badly but not seen because the photos of the interior are old. Or an engine in need of major repairs. An honest ad with nothing hidden is a treasure. If you are very lucky--the boat is too, and if so it won't be around for long.
Rerigging i will do anyway, since i dont want rodrigg on a boat crossing the Atlantic. Id even want wire for more diy possibilities later in the future.
Without really knowing the condition of the sails ive been looking into buying new sails, mainly a main and a jib. But it depends, there might even be some good sails aboard. Atleast they are stored below it seems.

What i would not like to find on the boat is mainly broken engine, cracks in the hull or other structural damage, and the interior being rotten or damaged to the point i need to make new wood. If all that is in good condition i could fix and upgrade the boat over time without a problem.

Thats the thing tho, there is no way i would have time to fix the boat, send it off with a professional crew and expect it to make it to the east coast before the atlantic's hurricane season starts.

Ive got 2000nm sailing under my belt, mainly singlehanded and nothing but youtube videos to show for my experience, so i would not like to cross the Atlantic off season.

The other problem with a crew is if things happen, i probably have to go down there and fix it for them or have someone local fix it, which will in turn be very expensive having a crew waiting and so on.

I was really hoping someone had some good experience with this and knew how to do it on the cheap side. People tell me im insane for thinking about this, and im slowly starting to see that i might be just that.
Norsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 16:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
First, what follows is written in a friendly tone of voice, with the sole intent to help you.

Second, I like Wauquiez boats. Nice designs, finish and details.

Third, That is a LOT of Boat for the price.

But as I looked over the ad I noticed this key Red Flag statement posted by the broker:

"this boat needs work, how much work, I really don't know."

I say Red Flag as caution, because that kind of statement is very rare or odd for the selling broker to make public in an ad on yachtworld. Because of this, I suspect there may be some serious issues with the boat. The brokers want to sell, but that phrase sounds more like a big disclaimer of unidentified potential problems.

Caveat Emptor!

I looked at every photo.and read the ad listing of gear.

As I looked at the photos, my mind kept calculating cost to Refit, noticing the condition and size of gear, and the teak deck, etc

Given the unknown faults ("needs work") that need repair, the distance you are thinking of moving the boat, the age, the price, and the estimated cost of boat transport or delivery, this could prove to be an expensive boat.

My thoughts then turned to comparable boats already in Europe.

If I were in your boat shoes, I would look closer to home, perhaps France.

Good luck on your decision.

If you do purchase this and sail it or move it to Norway, please let us know with a follow up report on costs and experience doing so. I am curious and that info would help others in the future.
Im sure the finished boat will be costly, but on the other hand the boat will be completly new in terms of rig and equipment. But as people tell me, and the estimates i get on prices for transport it might come over my budget, and the price of the boat might not have been as good as if i lived in the states and could do all the work there. I think i might be able to spend like 120,000 for the boat, transport and refitting. Saving 20-40,000 for things that break in the future.
Sucks its so hard for us Europeans to move to the US, i would love to sail and live over there.

I stumbled upon Centurion 47 through the European market, and found a very nice one in the Netherlands, but it got sold before i could make a move on it.
Ive been looking since last summer for a boat, and ive only found a couple that i like. mosty rare boats. And i do love the Centurions look and layout, so ive been kinda stuck on it.

But i did just realised that yachtworld only publish boats from brokers or agents. Does anyone know of boat selling sites in Europe which is more private seller based? i might be lucky and find one there in my budget.
Old 19-03-2018, 16:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsken View Post
Sucks its so hard for us Europeans to move to the US, i would love to sail and live over there.

Trust me...staying in Mexico to fix & sail the boat would be much easier,cheaper & much more fun as opposed to doing it in the USA these days.
Eder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 17:00   #19
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Personally I see that "red flag" as refreshing honesty on the part of the broker/agent, maybe even a sign he's an amateur, employee of the marina, friend of the owner rather than experienced pro?

I agree it it really does turn out to be in reasonable shape and therefore a real bargain it won't last long.

If not hopping on a plane to get right there in person, spending the money and hiring a good surveyor who can may well be worth it, even you don't have all the i's dotted and t's crossed beforehand.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 17:03   #20
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
Trust me...staying in Mexico to fix & sail the boat would be much easier,cheaper & much more fun as opposed to doing it in the USA these days.
Yes I was going to say that too. And slowly working your way around the region's islands before heading up for the Atlantic dash, may end up being the high point of your ownership of the boat if not a lifetime.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 18:17   #21

Talking Re: Transportation from pacific coast Mexico- East coast US/Europe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
I see how Mexico can be nice for some people, but for me i have no interest in Mexico or Central America what so ever, atleast not at this time in my life. My focus is to get the boat to Norway as cheap, fast and safe as possible.

Most of the work i plan on doing myself anyway, so i dont think the price overall would change that much, and i can have most of the parts i need shipped to me without it having to cross a customs border.

The boat has been for sale for a long time i believe, so im not sure people are to keen on buying a project in Mexico. Lets hope i didnt tip off anyone before i decide myself
Old 19-03-2018, 20:49   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The thing is, Norsken, if it were a great deal, why is it still there, why didn't someone snaffle it up already. Mazatlan is close to San Diego, where any number of people might be interested in it, a boat they can buy offshore, leave in Mexico a year, then bring in to the US. Maybe even sail it to Ensenada so they could drive down and go sailing.

Beware!

Generally speaking, it is easier all 'round to buy a boat close to home.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 19-03-2018, 21:17   #23

I see what you mean. I dont think the boat is cheap for 35,000 tho. There was a Centurion 47 which asking price was around 60-70,000 in good shape on the east coast, up close to NY or something. So if the boat needs some work and the potential buyer know the market, i dont think people would be interested for 35,000. So might be a stubborn seller?

I honestly think the boat not being cleaned is a huge turnoff for buyers, if it was cleaned, i think it would already have been sold.
Old 19-03-2018, 21:35   #24

Boat: Volkscruiser

The best bargains I usually survey have been sold via word of mouth and not through a broker. If it was such a good deal surely the broker or someone at the marina would have told someone about it already?
Reading that ad just made me realise I am a shallow draft sailor. 8 feet draft where I am going to sail with that?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 21:43   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
The best bargains I usually survey have been sold via word of mouth and not through a broker. If it was such a good deal surely the broker or someone at the marina would have told someone about it already?
Reading that ad just made me realise I am a shallow draft sailor. 8 feet draft where I am going to sail with that?
Cheers
Good point. I was planning on giving a low offer and if the seller dont want it, ill look for another boat. 35,000 for boat + shipping and repair is to much.

You can sail wherever there is 8 feet of water.... and if you push it and heel you can even cover more ground
Old 19-03-2018, 21:57   #26

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

$35,000 is an attractive price point, given the equipment list. If the broker pictures are the whole story the deal is not going to last long.

I have a sailing mate who is living in Mazatlan until April 5 or so who could run over and take a look and a sniff and some more pictures-- things the broker didn't show.

If it were my boat, I'd measure the rig and get Riggingonly to make up a replacement wire rigging kit and ship it down. You can use mechanical terminals on both ends, or have them swage on upper terminals.

If its seaworthy, I can deliver it to Panama, Trinidad, or the East Coast US where you can store it for hurricane season, or come over to work/sail on it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 23:02   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
$35,000 is an attractive price point, given the equipment list. If the broker pictures are the whole story the deal is not going to last long.

I have a sailing mate who is living in Mazatlan until April 5 or so who could run over and take a look and a sniff and some more pictures-- things the broker didn't show.

If it were my boat, I'd measure the rig and get Riggingonly to make up a replacement wire rigging kit and ship it down. You can use mechanical terminals on both ends, or have them swage on upper terminals.

If its seaworthy, I can deliver it to Panama, Trinidad, or the East Coast US where you can store it for hurricane season, or come over to work/sail on it.
35,000 isnt that bad, it sure attracts. But considering my other expenses i cant afford risking to much on it. Ive had my eye on it for 2 weeks maybe, no idea how long its been on the market before that.

If your friend would take his time to do that i would be very grateful. Would be very interesting to hear someones first impression and opinion on the boat, aswell as some extra pictures.
Im curious about the deck and general look of things.
If he has a nice camera, i would love some pictures of the mast and general rigging, to see what might have to be done to convert it to wire.

Rigging will be changed if i buy the boat, first thing on the list even if the rod is good. I need something i can fix myself, so ive been looking into norseman and sta-lok. Why would you recommend swaged at the top? Because of cost or is there an pro with it im missing?

You taking it through Panama could be something. Have you done the route before? How would anyone go about lending the boat like that? Unless you are a professional delivery skipper there would have to be some arrangement with insurer and so on i guess?
Old 20-03-2018, 00:45   #28

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Sending you a Private Message
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 01:34   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sorry to say it, guys, but I am not sure this is a serious enquiry.

Ann
Old 20-03-2018, 02:16   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Sorry to say it, guys, but I am not sure this is a serious enquiry.

Ann
So you don't think shipping a "fixer-upper" half way around the world to rebuild it in a country with a short summers and long cold winters plus very high prices for spares etc is a good or even serious idea.

The words "barking mad" spring to my mind.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, Europe, Mexico, rope