Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2020, 06:42   #1

Boat: Contessa 32
Transportation of boat on cradle and flatbed

I really don’t know where to post this in the forum choices. My question is related to a 25’ monohull boat that i need to relocate 1350 miles from Lk Superior to the Gulf of Mexico (mostly on interstate).

The boat purchase includes what looks like a well built cradle. I plan to rent a 24’ goose neck flat bed trailer for the cradle/boat and will pull it with my 1 ton pickup.

My primary concern is securing the cradle to the trailer and then securing the boat to the cradle/trailer. I’ve searched the computer assets for help with this and found mostly information on hauling motorboats on boat trailers. This is helpful but doesn’t address the taller profile of the sailboat and most of those boats come with stern mounted hardware already installed and designed for the boat.

My 25’ boat with 5500# displacement doesn’t come equipped with anything fore or aft designed for secure hauling. It’s a full keel boat with only 3.5’ draft so that helps but i still have the cradle to flatbed and boat to the trailer/cradle to secure.

I would greatly appreciate some direction on where to go from here.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:27   #2

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate
Re: Transportation of boat on cradle and flatbed

I sent my fully refurbished and beloved C&C 27 from WI to south FL in the same manner with complete success.

After balancing the cradle with boat on the trailer to the correct tongue weight (done with a loading scale). We generously screwed down 2x10 sections across the port/starboard of the trailer before and after the cradle to prevent movement and then did the same thing on the inside of the cradle. We then strapped the cradle down under lots of pre-tension and then strapped the boat to the trailer as well, but in a softer manner.

We did find a couple of bolts long enough- but they could only hit one small cross beam of the trailer and did not give us any feeling of success. We decided to carefully balanced the trailer for good hauling instead of trying to place it for bolting and relied on the wooden beams set down with 3" heavy screws to prevent sliding.

We also purchased a load leveling hitch assembly with anti sway clamp bar to protect the trailer/truck in a cross wind.

The cradle we had was specifically built for the C&C 27 MkII and all the cradle stations were directly on structural bulkheads of the boat. It was a very strong cradle.
The mast of my boat did not fit on the trailer and so we secured it to the deck of the boat- overhanging mostly forward toward the truck. We wrapped the mast in old carpet to protect the deck coatings and the aluminum spar. The rigging was completely labeled and removed so it could be stored below. The furler extrusion stayed with the mast as it was the same length essentially, but we did remove the drum and put it below as well.

My father did the towing with a HD F-150 and had zero issues. He did say the load leveling hitch was worth every penny. The truck was rated at 9,800lbs towing and the boat at 5,500lbs, trailer at 3,300lbs, cradle at 500lbs, + gear, it was certainly close to that limit, but the trailer brakes were 100% brand new and we had a quality controller that kept everything safe.

I encourage you to go for it! But be very mindful of stopping that load, that is always the part that is hardest and requires the most thought. Braking also puts WAY more load on the trailer and truck than anything else.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
I sent my fully refurbished and beloved C&C 27 from WI to south FL in the same manner with complete success.

After balancing the cradle with boat on the trailer to the correct tongue weight (done with a loading scale). We generously screwed down 2x10 sections across the port/starboard of the trailer before and after the cradle to prevent movement and then did the same thing on the inside of the cradle. We then strapped the cradle down under lots of pre-tension and then strapped the boat to the trailer as well, but in a softer manner.

We did find a couple of bolts long enough- but they could only hit one small cross beam of the trailer and did not give us any feeling of success. We decided to carefully balanced the trailer for good hauling instead of trying to place it for bolting and relied on the wooden beams set down with 3" heavy screws to prevent sliding.

We also purchased a load leveling hitch assembly with anti sway clamp bar to protect the trailer/truck in a cross wind.

The cradle we had was specifically built for the C&C 27 MkII and all the cradle stations were directly on structural bulkheads of the boat. It was a very strong cradle.
The mast of my boat did not fit on the trailer and so we secured it to the deck of the boat- overhanging mostly forward toward the truck. We wrapped the mast in old carpet to protect the deck coatings and the aluminum spar. The rigging was completely labeled and removed so it could be stored below. The furler extrusion stayed with the mast as it was the same length essentially, but we did remove the drum and put it below as well.

My father did the towing with a HD F-150 and had zero issues. He did say the load leveling hitch was worth every penny. The truck was rated at 9,800lbs towing and the boat at 5,500lbs, trailer at 3,300lbs, cradle at 500lbs, + gear, it was certainly close to that limit, but the trailer brakes were 100% brand new and we had a quality controller that kept everything safe.

I encourage you to go for it! But be very mindful of stopping that load, that is always the part that is hardest and requires the most thought. Braking also puts WAY more load on the trailer and truck than anything else.

Bingo BenBow!!!!
That’s exactly what I needed!

My situation is a bit different because I’m hauling with a 1 ton truck and goose neck trailer. Tongue weight won’t be a issue but balance is a concern. The stops securing the cradle to the trailer deck is a great idea to keep it from sliding around.

I’ll have to find some industrial strength straps that are long enough to go over the whole enchilada and will probably go overkill on the number of straps used. The last thing I need is to have the boat getting loose and passing me if a emergency stop was necessary😬.

My boat weighs about the same as yours (about 5500#) but really don’t know what the cradle weight might be. It’s made out of I beam and channel cross members so is fairly heavy. It uses 3 sets of braces and I just hope they are located in the right place to properly support this CD25D.

The trailer is rated for 8 tons so that shouldn’t be a issue. Since the load is much lighter than the trailer capacity, a CDL might not be necessary to rent the trailer.

I really appreciate the great information!
Tom
Old 10-09-2020, 10:40   #4

Shipping strap and or chains and binders. You could bolt the cradle to the flatbed trailer. But why not just buy a double axle sailboat trailer if you are buying? You are shallow draft so either would work fine with a 3/4 ton truck or larger.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Shipping strap and or chains and binders. You could bolt the cradle to the flatbed trailer. But why not just buy a double axle sailboat trailer if you are buying? You are shallow draft so either would work fine with a 3/4 ton truck or larger.
That was one of the options I first considered. The problem is most of the trailer makers are out 10-12 weeks delivery after the order is placed. This puts it 3 weeks after I need the boat moved.

I looked into a shipper moving the boat but it was more expensive than to have a trailer made.

The other factor is the boat’s cradle is with the boat and that just seemed to be a better choice since I can store the cradle at home and for one day flatbed trailer rental, I can move the boat in the event of a storm. No extra out of pocket cost except the week trailer rental and fuel for the trip. Also, I would have to dispose of the cradle from the boats current location.

So far this appears to be my best option. Of course there is plenty of time for stuff to “hit the fan”☹️

Thanks!
Tom
Old 10-09-2020, 12:36   #6

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

I routinely haul my Catalina 22 and once hauled my Catalina 27.

Secure the cradle to the trailer with straps or chains an binders. Strap the boat to the trailer mid front and back.

A 3/4 ton truck should handle it easily.

I'll try to post pics later.

Thx-Ace
Old 10-09-2020, 12:56   #7

Thanks Ace!
If a CD27 can be trailered, this little 25D should be a cake walk.��������

I’ll be looking forward to see what worked for you.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2020, 13:29   #8

Boat: Catalina 18, Looking for Larger!

Just curious, but how do you get the boat on and off the cradle? How do you get the cradle on the flatbed?
jmc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 14:46   #9

The boat is at a marina that has a lift. The lift will be used to place the cradle on the flatbed, then used to put the boat in the cradle. (If all goes well)��

Tags
bed, boat, cradle