Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 10:52   #1

trying to keep the dream alive

Ok I've wanted a sailboat for ten years now and I finally have one! And just as I have it. I found out I'm going to be a father.. the boat is paid for and I have a place to store it but I have no way of getting it from point a to point b. No truck no trailer no cribbing no anything and with the baby on the way I can't really afford to pay some one to move it. Its a 28 ft irwin I beleive it has a half keel and it currently in the savannah river in augusta ga. They are charging me 200 a month to keep it in the water and I can't afford it any longer. I need to work on the boat and would like it at the house.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've contacted my local sailing club and may be able to rent or borrow a trailer for a weekend and I may be able to borrow a truck from my boss but I still dunno how to get it on the ground in my yard.. :/ idk how heavy this thing is, idk exactly how to support it .
I feel like I finally have my dream in my hands and its slipping through my fingers. :/
If I don't get the boat out of the water soon, I will lose it. I don't know what to do
tortuga22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:03   #2

Re: trying to keep the dream alive

Unless it has a retractable keel, I'm not sure how you are going to get it to your house and in the yard. You would need equipment. You may want to go talk to a boat yard, see what they would charge to pull it and it store it in their yard while you work on it.. Otherwise, as for avoiding $200/month have you thought about mooring it; not sure if that's an option where you are, but just a thought. My husband and I have raised two children while sailing. We bought our first boat when our oldest was 3 and had another one several year later and he runs around the boat like its a play ground.. I only tell you this to give you hope that the dream doesn't have to die just because you are becoming a father. We have had the best times with our children on our weekend sailing adventures. Good luck, I hope you find a solution.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cljahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cljahn.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 23:36   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga22 View Post

I've contacted my local sailing club and may be able to rent or borrow a trailer for a weekend and I may be able to borrow a truck from my boss but I still dunno how to get it on the ground in my yard.. :/ idk how heavy this thing is, idk exactly how to support it .
I feel like I finally have my dream in my hands and its slipping through my fingers. :/
If I don't get the boat out of the water soon, I will lose it. I don't know what to do
If you can get a trailer and a truck you have half the battle won.

How far does it have to go?

The boat weighs roughly 8,000 pounds so suitable trailer and truck needed.

At the yard though is the easy part. You just get boat stands (google sailboat stands) They are basically pads with jackscrews on a tripod base.

Two on each side and on for the bow for good measure and you are good to go. I know funds are limited but you could actually make these things if youa re handy with a welding rig.

(Preachie part coming - Not for nothing but a baby takes 9 months to arrive last I checked. You shouldn't seem so "surprised." Do some soul searching and decide if you can afford all this or maybe sell the boat and try again later.)
Attached Images

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:40   #5

Boat: Beneteau 393

Check with the local sailing club on how they transport boats. May have a local huller with hydraulic trailer that can deliver it.

May need to rent a crane to get it off the trailer onto the ground/concrete pad. Again local sailors maybe able to advise.

Final thought, where do you plan to keep it long term? If you can't afford $200/month slip fee now, will you be able to afford it a year from now? 2 years?
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:34   #6

If money is an issue, why not try a partnership. I have 6 partners with our 30' newport. We each pay $100/mo for everything. Send me an email for more info fungod at gmail.com
fungod is offline   Reply With Quote