Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2020, 13:51   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Trying to sell or otherwise dispose of Caliber 33

How will you recoup 20 years of yard bills ??? Seriously ?

I'm estimating $200/month yard fees here x 12 x 20 = $48,000. That yard must have you as their favorite customer.

Even if the boat was shipshape, clean, in the water, engine running, etc, etc, you'd be lucky to clear $30k for it, you'd be on the hook for marina dockage fees, sales commission, getting it back in the water, etc....you'd still be $12,000 in the hole. Your boat is none of these things.

As it is, you'd have to pay someone to dismantle it, sell the parts, get rid of the hull, etc, just paying someone to do all this will outweigh any profit you might receive.

Your only hope...slight as it is, would be to donate the boat to a boys home or other similar institution, where it could be taken on as a "project" boat. Failing that, I'd tell the yard "it's yours now"....

But to recoup any $$$ is dreaming in your part !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 14:37   #32

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tr-230435.html .this is exactly what you want
Old 30-10-2020, 07:49   #33

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Contact George McCreary. He will help you sell it. He is the owner of Caliber Yachts and now runs a brokerage for them.

Caliber Yachts Official Home Page

Tim
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 08:17   #34

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

I'm estimating $200/month yard fees here x 12 x 20 = $48,000. That yard must have you as their favorite customer.

Even if the boat was shipshape, clean, in the water, engine running, etc, etc, you'd be lucky to clear $30k for it, you'd be on the hook for marina dockage fees, sales commission, getting it back in the water, etc....you'd still be $12,000 in the hole. Your boat is none of these things.

As it is, you'd have to pay someone to dismantle it, sell the parts, get rid of the hull, etc, just paying someone to do all this will outweigh any profit you might receive.

Your only hope...slight as it is, would be to donate the boat to a boys home or other similar institution, where it could be taken on as a "project" boat. Failing that, I'd tell the yard "it's yours now"....

But to recoup any $$$ is dreaming in your part !!

Yeah I have worked in boatyards and it's rare but it does happen. Most stop paying (although to be fair sometimes that happens due to illness or death) In fact I have a family member who does this. He has multiple boats in paid storage that haven't been used in 5 years and one that hasn't been used in 21. He's just bad at getting rid of things he likes,
Old 30-10-2020, 08:21   #35

I hope someone goes and sees the boat and posts photos. My instincts is that after 20 years the boat will be mostly worthless. an engine that hasn't run in 20 yrs will need a lot more than an oil change and battery. etc. I would be shocked if the inside of the boat is even remotely decent.
sorry but 20 yrs is a long time in the best of situations.
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 15:36   #36
GS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailing_gal View Post
There is a used boat lot that specializes in selling sailboats under $30,000 with reasonable commissions. It is called backyardboats.

Backyard Boats

I purchased and then resold my first sailboat there. They are in Shady Side, just south of Annapolis. Give them a call and tell them of your situation. They will put the boat on the hard while they try to sell it. It has been quite awhile, but I recall they did not charge storage when they were selling the boat.
Thanks for the tip but it did not work out. I emailed them and got no response. I called them on the phone and they said they were not interested.

I would think it is basic good manners to respond to the email even if it is to say "sorry but this is not in our line".

Oh well. I'll keep trying a bit more.
GS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 15:39   #37
GS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Contact George McCreary. He will help you sell it. He is the owner of Caliber Yachts and now runs a brokerage for them.

Tim
Thanks for the tip. I emailed them but I don't hold much hope because their last brokerage list is dated 2015.
Old 30-10-2020, 15:42   #38
GS3

Quote:

Tim
Thanks for the tip. I emailed them but I don't hold much hope because their last brokerage list is dated 2015 and, frankly, the site looks like it has been frozen in time for a long time.
Old 30-10-2020, 15:54   #39
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

I'm estimating $200/month yard fees here x 12 x 20 = $48,000. That yard must have you as their favorite customer....

Plus the time value of money. Twice that figure.

This is why you sell a boat you are not using as soon as possible. I downsized to a sport boat when I realized I was probably not going to cruise for a while. If my interest returns I will buy a cruising boat, but will have saved 15 years of maintenance and deterioration, to say nothing of potential for changes in my taste or needs.
Old 30-10-2020, 19:03   #40

What does the marina charge & is the storage agreement transferable?
OR if the rate is low there are other options..
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 08:04   #41

Boat: Looking

Sorry, I didn't have time to read every post. Here is what my friend did with a Bayliner M/V. He got a marine tech to go over the boat and make a list of what is required to put the boat in the water and use it safely. Then make a list of other things that were needed to put the boat in reasonable condition. He then listed the boat for $999.99 on Ebay. The boat sold for just over $10,000 which was the used value. He hid nothing and made it known he didn't know more than what the tech told him. You can list on Ebay US as a resident of another country. I used to list on ebay.uk.co
Old 31-10-2020, 08:28   #42

Boat: Spindrift 22

I'm intrigued by this discussion and am reminded by some of the suggestions of a related question I've often wondered about:

Could a nonprofit organization with sufficient volunteer labor ever break even by restoring to ready-to-sail condition and then reselling lower-value old boats like OP's Caliber 33? Or would the cost of materials alone be so high that the investment would never be recovered through re-sale?

And if the answer is "It depends," what would be the key factors in developing a financially sustainable strategy for such an organization?

In a coastal region with inadequate opportunities for youth and/or labor shortages in carpentry and other skilled trades, perhaps this would be a worthwhile enterprise to undertake.
dalepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 16:05   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalepo View Post
I'm intrigued by this discussion and am reminded by some of the suggestions of a related question I've often wondered about:
Could a nonprofit organization with sufficient volunteer labor ever break even by restoring to ready-to-sail condition and then reselling lower-value old boats like OP's Caliber 33? Or would the cost of materials alone be so high that the investment would never be recovered through re-sale?
And if the answer is "It depends," what would be the key factors in developing a financially sustainable strategy for such an organization?
In a coastal region with inadequate opportunities for youth and/or labor shortages in carpentry and other skilled trades, perhaps this would be a worthwhile enterprise to undertake.
Yes,It can be done.Even on the Great Lakes.
Just over a year ago. I launched my idea;"The Junior Mechanics Club".Bought 2 insulated tractor trailers (for workshop, storage & clubhouse) and put forth some of my surplus tools equipment & projects. I was hoping for 8-12 kids from within a 15-20 mile radius. In 36 hours had 22 kids.. Then along came COVID 19.. Since then all is in a state of suspended animation. Definitely the way to do it is as a registered corp/charity. Especially for larger items such as boats. Ever since I have been buying more potential projects.. I was/am planning to start with 22 bicycles, then 9 gas powered-air compressors then 14 minibikes in that order for projects. However.. Recently..Since then..
An acquaintance told me he had tried to do the same on his time, his tools , his $$ & his shop. Then a "parent" was asking (forcefully) when "his kid" was going to get paid?? So much for benevolent intentions. I'm not sure how interested kids would be in boats. Not sure how much I would want to get stuck holding 5-6 boats.
What would you do for Insurance? Because that came up too...
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:15   #44

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Hi GS3, I used to own a 1992 Caliber 35. Basically a 33' with the "sugar scoop" added as swim platform. Loved the boat but needed more room to live aboard.
I am on Kent Island across from Annapolis and if the other 2 guys cannot take a look at it I may help you. I am sailing south soon and time available is limited.
12 years ago I sold my Caliber for about 62K. With original sails, In-mast roller furling, etc. I also installed refrigeration and had a heat pump AC.
Older Caliber had problems with leaking ports (I can get you in touch with a friend who replaced his ports,.He also sold Calibers. Still has his 33') and also a flex problem in the hull before the keel. Cracks showed up. McCreary sent a technician to all the Calibers to fix the problem, Installed small bulkhead under the v-berth. Problem solved. There is also a fair amount of teak in the cockpit waiting to be restored. I hope the sails are stored inside.
I still have several pictures of the inside of my boat. I am happy to email them to you if you like to include them in your add.
Also if you can come for a bout 2-3 weeks you can sell the boat AS IS and get some $$.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:49   #45
GS3

Quote:
Well, that didn't work out. Caliber went out of business some years ago and it seems the owner has done (or tried to do) some brokerage in the past but not now.

I might try to contact repair shops in the area (motors, rigging, etc.) and ask if they can help.

I saw there is another thread about free or low cost boats which I cannot find now. Maybe I should have put it there.

Just out of curiosity, what might it cost to unstep the mast, put the boat on a cradle and transport by road it to, say, TX or FL?

Tags
cal