Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 16:41   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Underpowered, which propeller to install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquestof View Post
I was sold on the Kiwi prop at first... but then did more research and found a few folks that had issues with them breaking. Kiwi recommends buying extra blades... Over the years I have hit logs and other sunken debris and do not want the prop to break off while away from port. My boat is heavy... reason for the sluggishness but is a fin keel and the rudder is huge... and sometimes the prop walk does help... but more often not. Thank you for the reply...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I think I would rather have the prop blades break than the gearbox from hitting something solid.
Kiwi Prop blades are designed to break under impact and are easily replaceable for this reason.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 19:56   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

I did over 2000 hours with a kiwi prop. Yes the blades can break but they are more likely to chip etc, I sailed Asia, did the the Mallacca straits four times etc where there is lots of stuff in the water. If your prop hits something harder enough to break a blade then I think this is a good thing rather diverting that stress somewhere else and as mentioned they are extremely easy to replace in the water. The blades are alot more durable than some think.
The biggest problem with the kiwi props is they need regular greasing if not they overload smaller engines in reverse. Once again easy enough to lube underwater with dive equip.
Overall they aren't a bad prop considering the price. Did the job for me for many years, good thrust forward and reverse.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 20:17   #18
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Prop walk makes me look good while docking.
Learn it and love it.
3 blade wide is pretty darn efficient but it cost me 1/2 knot of sailing speed.
Crossing oceans with only occasional docking and maneuvering it may be worth it.
Old 22-03-2017, 01:27   #19

If you need more power, you need a bigger engine.

If it's an improperly sized prop, get the proper size (fixed 3 blade will be the most effective). Assuming it's the original size engine, the manufacture (of the boat) should be able to tell you the correct size.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 01:53   #20

Boat: Catalina 470

I currently have a max prop, haven't used the boat enough yet to give a real opinion. What I can say is it has alot of prop walk which takes some getting used to.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 10:33   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I have a 326 Hunter sailboat. It is sluggish at best while motoring. I have read tons of info about folding and feathering props... almost to much info. I have read the pro's on con's on them all... however cannot come up with anything that convinces me to make that choice. Does anybody have experience with the Gori folding props? Maxi-props? EWOL props? My goal is to reduce the prop-walk in reverse and get more forward bit from the propeller. All of them reduce drag under sail, which is not that big of an issue being my boat sails amazing in all conditions. As info... Not interested in the Kiwi prop...
I'm not sure your definition of under powered. If your engine won't reach rated RPM reduce Prop. pitch. It will also reduce walk. More bite to me means more pitch which sounds like what you don't want. If you sail well with a standard prop. why go with the expense of a folding prop.?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 10:54   #22

Boat: Pearson 36-2

just to clarify my own post above, I misspoke and said underpowered. I meant under propped. I had an old three blade indigo off my original A-4 put on a yanmar 2qm15. It spun like a pinwheel. would go 2.5 kts at max rpms. and reverse was horrible. I went backwards like a wiffle ball.

Personally, did not like the reverse of a folding prop I tried. Went with the michigan MP3 12x14pitch based on advice of prop shop who also consulted with michigan prop. Couldn't be happier with the performance now. Hope that description helps. Settling on these decisions can be agony!
JPS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 11:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS27 View Post
just to clarify my own post above, I misspoke and said underpowered. I meant under propped. I had an old three blade indigo off my original A-4 put on a yanmar 2qm15. It spun like a pinwheel. would go 2.5 kts at max rpms. and reverse was horrible. I went backwards like a wiffle ball.

Personally, did not like the reverse of a folding prop I tried. Went with the michigan MP3 12x14pitch based on advice of prop shop who also consulted with michigan prop. Couldn't be happier with the performance now. Hope that description helps. Settling on these decisions can be agony!
A good prop shop can nail it. Not a bunch of people with limited knowledge.
Old 22-03-2017, 13:30   #24

Boat: Hunter 326, 32 ft.

Thanks again for the info... I am going to reach out to Michigan Props... see what they have to say. And yes making the decision is agonizing being they cost so much and you do not really know how it will perform until it is in place. If they were only a few hundred bucks I would try them and find out for myself... I do not have that kind of budget...
inquestof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 13:38   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Underpowered, which propeller to install?

If you can get to a yard that recycles boats and or has used parts, it's my understanding that props don't bring much, and since they have no moving parts, they don't usually wear out. I guess rarely one does get de-zincified if that is even a word
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 14:09   #26

Quote:
Thanks again for the info... I am going to reach out to Michigan Props... see what they have to say. And yes making the decision is agonizing being they cost so much and you do not really know how it will perform until it is in place. If they were only a few hundred bucks I would try them and find out for myself... I do not have that kind of budget...
See if you don't have a local shop that works on props.
Old 22-03-2017, 14:59   #27

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

All these guesses on what is the correct prop for your boat. You need to know the max recommended RMP for your engine, the gear ratio for forward gear, the boats weight, waterline length and finallyy the hull clearance for your prop. With this information a good prop shop can run computer program that will give the correct diameter and pitch for your power and transmission combo. BTW, with a new correctly sized prop you should be able to reach 80% of max red line of engine at fire wall setting.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 16:19   #28

Boat: Jeanneau 371

I fitted a Kiwi prop about six years ago on my Jeanneau s/o 371. No real difference in speed under power (Yanmar 50hp) but so much smoother with hardly any vibrations. The pitch is adjustable even in the water and not much prop walk. Go for it, and the composite is not effected by electrolysis. As for loosing a blade, I've lost a blade on a bronze prop. So it can happen.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 17:17   #29

Boat: Paceship 29

If you really are underpowered the best prop is Autoprop.
It self adjusts to your torque.
sony2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 17:45   #30

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Michigan wheel will probably be your best cheapest option. They are local for me and used to use them for my speed boats. If you don't care about loss of speed under sail a fixed 3 blade will motor the best in my experience. I go the opposite, pull off the fixed and put on a folding or feathering. Michigan wheel also repair/re-pitch. No connection to the company, just a satisfied customer.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propeller, rope