Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 16:53   #1

Boat: Tartan 33
Union Polaris 36 and Tayana 37

Good evening.

A few weeks ago, I posted about a Catalina 36. We saw her, but at the end we decided to continue searching for a more “blue water boat”. We are about two see two boats this weekend. One is a Tayana 37 (1977) and the other one a Union Polaris 36 (1986). Both seems similar boat philosophy. I spoke with the broker before doing the 3 hours trip and they seems both in good condition (Survey will tell if we decide to make an offer). Asking price is 49500 and 54500 USD (we are in WA state)

The only problem reported is a small leak in the fuel tank of the Polaris. It will need to be changed. The Tayana does not seems to have any problem reported but it is still the original deck. I read that leaks were not unusual on this boat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...utter-3605036/
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...na-37-3201679/

We will see them tomorrow.

Any specific advices or comments about these 2 boats? I read a post but it is relatively old. We will anyway look for the usual thing leak, standing rigs, engine...and if we are satisfied the survey will tell the rest of the story.

C.
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 17:36   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Union Polaris 36 and Tayana 37

All things being equal I'd take the Tayana 37. It's a boat with a pedigree. The Union Cutter is a bastardized Bob Perry design while the Tayana is an actual Bob Perry design.

Does it matter if the boat is available locally? Your profile lists your location as Florida. There are quite a few Tayana 37s available without the teak deaks or they have been removed and glassed over for the same price range. That's a big job and adds quite a bit of value.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 17:38   #3

Thx. I am in WA. I moved a few months ago we sold our Tartan 33. Will update my profile.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:31   #4

Boat: Tayana 37 PH

Besides the teak deck... Make sure Tayana has fiberglass tank (as it listed) - normally it is black iron. Replacement is pain in the butt. I would steer away from Volvo (parts cost). For me Tayana is the winner.
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:50   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The Union 36es, had problems with the butterfly mid-hatch. It does not seal well. In some cases leading to loss of boat.

I would consider the Tayana, but look (try to find out) if the black iron tanks have been replaced.

Also, over time, the teak decks do leak, and are a not easily solveable problem, short of removing the teak decks. It is a huge job. Not to be undertaken by the faint of heart. Some of our good friends have been at this job over a year. Not finished yet, but, or maybe I should say AND they love their boat.

Ann
Old 09-05-2020, 07:54   #6

Thx guys. The Tayana is our favorite one also. We will see today. Negotiation on the price will be a factor too since we potentially have 2 candidates.

Any idea how much replacing the deck cost when done by a professional? This is something I want to include in the price discussion.

C.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:07   #7
rbk

Boat: T37

Even if the original iron tanks are still in, inspect carefully but don’t write it off. Ours is original and in excellent shape still. Previous owner pulled and painted twenty years ago. Will probably do it again in a few years. Point is like most everything else l, if they’re taken care of they can last a long time. Check the rigging, if original toggles inspect thoroughly. As with many other boats in that era they were constructed from two pieces, with one threading into the other and easily corrode. The Tayana is faster than most think (willing to admit) they are
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:10   #8
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maijipo View Post
Thx guys. The Tayana is our favorite one also. We will see today. Negotiation on the price will be a factor too since we potentially have 2 candidates.

Any idea how much replacing the deck cost when done by a professional? This is something I want to include in the price discussion.

C.
Welcome to Washington. You can spend the rest of your life cruising these waters all the way to Alaska and not see it all.

Go to the Tayana Owners Group tognews@googlegroups.com and ask your questions from the owners themselves.

As for a quote to remove the decking, you can try any number of businesses in Port Townsend. Go to the Port of Port Townsend website, www.portofpt.com for a list of many marine trades...it is a small boat heaven of tradesmen.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:26   #9

Boat: Union 36

1987 Union 36
We’ve just finished removing the teak and recording the decks. Did it ourselves so no idea what cost would be by a professional. Depends on who/where you go. Taiwanese built boats of the era that I’ve seen pictures of the core seem to have pretty consistently used small pieces of plywood scraps. Guessing labor way cheaper than materials so nothing wasted. I’ve attached a couple of pictures to show what we opened up and end result.

Assuming it’s original the leaking black iron fuel tank will likely not come out in one piece without major interior disassembly. Anyone I’ve talked to who has done theirs cut it out in 5 or more pieces. Then replaced with one that’s a bit smaller or a couple of tanks in the space if original capacity is desired.

Good luck in your search. You’ll love our cruising grounds when you get back on the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2CDF1C34-28A9-4BD2-BD4A-427FCE06E867.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	444.4 KB
ID:	214690   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F183B12-0090-4A7D-8B5B-A982624149DE.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	214691  

Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:42   #10

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hi

Would a bladder tank be a relatively cheap and easy solution; kept in shape by some of the black tank?

John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:03   #11

Boat: Union 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnn33 View Post
Would a bladder tank be a relatively cheap and easy solution; kept in shape by some of the black tank?
I’ve considered that but you would still have to cut out the baffle(s) and ensure that the inside is smooth enough. I’m cutting our out to help ensure it’s only done once.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:06   #12

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

the tayana no question...

besides the perry pedigree...

- no weird steering shaft through the helm position
- hard top with solar already
- wind vane already on it
- better design choices inside mean a better layout, better use of space etc.
- generally looks like it's better taken care of

my .02

be sure to check:
- chain plates
- tanks
- condition of decks (these are likely end of life... assume you'll end up taking them up at some point (i had a 1980 passport 42 and did this job)..

good looking little boat.

Cheers,
-Justin
Mag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:09   #13

I would lean toward the Tayana for sure. The Union 36 does not have a great reputation. And definitely not at that price.
If you like those boats look at something like a Tashiba or Baba for a much better boat. (Ta Shing)
Avoid as much exterior wood as possible in WA.
If not leaving the PNW, get a lighter better sailing boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:22   #14

Boat: J/42

I took a look at a Polaris 36 that has been kicking around the area "for sale" lists for a few years. One striking issue was that the interior woodwork was beautiful and extensive - but when I opened the lockers there were water stains and rotten wood inside every one of them. Looked like the deck had been leaking like a sieve and seemed possible that all that joinery would have to come out for repairs.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I took a look at a Polaris 36 that has been kicking around the area "for sale" lists for a few years. One striking issue was that the interior woodwork was beautiful and extensive - but when I opened the lockers there were water stains and rotten wood inside every one of them. Looked like the deck had been leaking like a sieve and seemed possible that all that joinery would have to come out for repairs.
Yep, the very poor non marine plywood is an issue in those boats.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tayana 37