Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2009, 12:49   #16

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
This is my home port. It was like this again last week and there's another one on the way. The boat is in the middle of the channel in this photo, famous photo.
Google Image Result for http://www.mv-dreamer.com/images/Mojo1.jpg
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 13:38   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Great photo! Then, once you get a little north of there, you get to see things like this: OnBlueSky Columbia River Pilot Boat Chinook (Do check out the description of their pilot boats, at the bottom.)

For those who should ever be in Astoria, OR, do check out the Columbia River Maritime Museum. Welcome to the Columbia River Maritime Museum I knew those guys were good, really good. But a visit there left me with a deep, abiding respect. True pros!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 13:40   #18

Boat: Maine Cat 41
I actually would counsel the same as the other posters but an aquaintance of mine brought a 30' Mainecat up the coast in Jan/Feb a couple years ago. I can't remember whether it took him 18 or 30 days but he mostly motored. Just 'shows to go ya' that it can be done if you have time and patience AND very good luck.

Oftentimes what Can be done isn't the same as what Should be done and given that this is a vessel new to you, old-ish and 'needs work', not really a great idea. April would be my month of choice for the trip if everything else was ok.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 05:23   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
... Oftentimes what Can be done isn't the same as what Should be done and given that this is a vessel new to you, old-ish and 'needs work', not really a great idea. April would be my month of choice for the trip if everything else was ok.
Wise counsel !!!

Which is you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CChesley-SJIFD_Class_08-1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	12074  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 08:37   #20

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
If you purchased vessel now,got refit done by Feb.,you could sail to Cabo San Lucas in March,(best departure point)
leave for Hawaii in May,arrive in PNW in July.That is a practical plan I would think.Or if boat could make it to Lapaz,or San Carlos ,do your refit there.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 09:05   #21

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Wise counsel !!!

Which is you?
Being the new guy, I got the new black gear. Lot's of fun!
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 13:01   #22

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
I have lived on the Oregon Coast for 35 years. Surfing and fishing for a living. I prefer the Aleutians over the Oregon coast to work in the winter. I quite working here in Oregon 30 years ago because I hated the Bars so bad. Bering Sea and the Aleutian Islands are more friendly. The "Ports" in Oregon are 60 miles apart on average. They are all river bars. The suck bad on an ebb tide. I mean really suck. You can have calm conditions and a big lumpy swell that will do you in if you cross those bars at the wrong time.
April I brought 37 Trimaran up the coast (with useless 10 H.P. outboard) Had a fine trip, light southerlies, no stopping along the way. I could not make it in Sept. Gale NW day and night. Oct. became Gale SW.
The danger is in the crossing of the bar, the rest of it you can figure out. DO NOT CROSS A BAR ON THE EBB.....EVER. Even if it is flat. You will spend twice the amount of time on the bar fighting the current, just waiting for a bad one to swing you around. No fun.
I Do not know your situation. But try to price in the cost of trucking your boat up with the sales price. Try to negotiate that in. You could easily spend MONTHS picking your way in and out of these lousy river bar ports, and get a good whacking along the way.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 20:18   #23

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
The advice is very clear. Don't do it. I have been DOWN the coast several times. From So Cal take two tacks - one to Hawaii, one home. You can sail TO Hawaii in almost anything that floats. From Hawaii to the PNW separates the tubs from the sailboats.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 20:33   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
What about May- JUne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
The advice is very clear. Don't do it. I have been DOWN the coast several times. From So Cal take two tacks - one to Hawaii, one home. You can sail TO Hawaii in almost anything that floats. From Hawaii to the PNW separates the tubs from the sailboats.
From what the best advice says, stay out of the area in the winter. What about doing San Francisco-Seattle in early May to mid- June? Does the same advice hold, tack Hawaii, and the back?
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 21:14   #25

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
It depends.
The best time for sailing / visiting the Northren California, Oregon and Washington coast is September thru October. Where the Pacific High is positioned contols how the jet stream approches the left side of the US and ALL storms use the jet stream as a means to travel from the Alaskian Gulf. The Jet Stream sometimes approches the mouth of the Columbia river from the south or north and all points of the compass between, sometimes there is even an off-shore wind. Add to this the Ocean current that circles the North Pacific clockwise and travels from north to south thru this area. You will always have to contend with a large ocean swell that shoals on a Lee shore as the fetch accrossed the Pacific ocean is quite a distance.
Be aware that the US Coast Guard uses this area to train for heavy weather sea rescues. Including what to do when the boat turns turtle.

Last year the temps in July were in the hundred degree range, this year they're in the seventy and eighty range. So I stress again - it depends. No two years are the same.

May - June? Sure you can. I've even heard of 16 year old girls sailing non-stop around the world!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 23:41   #26

Last year we brought a 54 foot commercial fisher north from Mexico to Van Island in mid Dec. I don't recall it ever blowing less than 25 knots Westerly after we left San Diego and by the time we were off Oregon it really started to blow. We rounded Cape Flattery in a 50 knt storm. The boat could take the punishment but it was a heck of a passage. The only reasons we kept going were bull-headed stupidity and we had promised our wives we would be home for Xmas.
sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 11:40   #27

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
May and June are the best months to go north. You have a great chance for low overcast and less wind. Later the summer gets, the more you get gale NW winds. These are a real drag and blow harder the warmer it gets inland. I made a passage (among a lot of them) in an enginless (10HP Out board) trimaran in April May and had a fine time of it. April May and June. GO!
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 11:56   #28

Quote:
Really, I hope the OP has gotten the point.
I'm about ready to trade my boat for a badminton racquet just reading this stuff...
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote