Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 05:11   #31

Re: Usa to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Simon, sorry, incorrect. Friends sailed in a Kiwi boat, mega-difficult, huge charges. Best to evacuate system first. If legal.

Ann
Your right Ann if the gas is R22. The 2007 bendy we delivered from New Cal had R4?? In the AC and diferent gas again in the fridge freezer. Both got the ✓

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 05:13   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Usa to Australia

I'm saying one should never go on an ocean crossing with rations based on forecasted hull speed theories.. it took me 36 days Panama to Nuku Hiva in a 54ftr.. and I was one of the faster crossings.. others took up to 52 days for the same passage..
All it needs is something like a furler to screw up (and they do) and your down to main only.. there's a whole lot of things can go wrong and your heading through waters where there's no quick fix to get to safety/shelter..
Prepare for the worst.. celebrate the best.. you'll use the food anyway just stock up on fresh in the islands.. saving money seems a priority so make your stores part of the savings.. local fresh produce is cheap.. everything else is imported...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 05:17   #33

Boat: Duncanson 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm saying one should never go on an ocean crossing with rations based on forecasted hull speed theories.. it took me 36 days Panama to Nuku Hiva in a 54ftr.. and I was one of the faster crossings.. others took up to 52 days for the same passage..
All it needs is something like a furler to screw up (and they do) and your down to main only.. there's a whole lot of things can go wrong and your heading through waters where there's no quick fix to get to safety/shelter..
Prepare for the worst.. celebrate the best.. you'll use the food anyway just stock up on fresh in the islands.. saving money seems a priority so make your stores part of the savings.. local fresh produce is cheap.. everything else is imported...
Cheers for that boatman i see you did a similar passage in the past how was the weather and what time of year did you depart?
southace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 06:24   #34

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Re: USA to Australia

Check the rules, fill out a stat dec stating you have lived on the boat for more than a year and there is no need to remove the refrigerant gas.

This is 1st hand knowledge and our own experience. I helped a frog boat do their import the same way.

The authorities have to be directed to their own laws to ensure it goes thru.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 06:36   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: USA to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by southace View Post
Cheers for that boatman i see you did a similar passage in the past how was the weather and what time of year did you depart?
I set off from Panama in June if memory serves me well.. motor sailed till just past the Galapagos before we picked up halfway decent winds that took us faster than 3kts..
A watermaker would be a good idea as when we reached Nuku Hiva we found the water was unpotable.. green and gungey...
Best on offer was moving to the next bay and dinghying jerry cans from a standpipe there.. decided instead to buy 20x5L store water and then hoped for good winds and rain squalls..
Got the squalls and made it to US Samoa by hanging a bucket at the gooseneck and putting an angle on the boom so rain ran down the sail and boom into the bucket.. then syphon into the empty water jugs.. only time I was glad we had a boom furler.. makes a great catcher/funnel..
From Nuku Hiva through to Vanuatu winds were from the stern quarter mainly.. 4-5 with squalls taking it up to 7 occasionally.. sea's averaged 3metres.. cross sea's made for a rolling ride..
May find this thread I did of the delivery useful.. then again you may not.. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lan-78699.html

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 06:55   #36

Boat: Outremer 50S

For an alternate route to Boatie's, we did San Francisco-Kiribati-Tuvalu-Vanuatu-Oz. Pretty much a straight line from the California coast to Oz (with a little hook south at the start to get into the easterlies). Nice sailing, but don't count on too much in the way of provisions at any of those locations. Fresh foods, maybe. Not fresh foods, depends on when the last supply boat came by and which of the islands you decided to stop at vs. where the supplies went (see some of Atoll's posts on this section of the ocean).

If you're leaving from mainland USA west coast you want to avoid tropical storm season in both hemispheres, which means getting across the equator sometime between about April and June. Later then ~June you run the risk of northern hemisphere hurricanes, earlier than ~April you run increased risk of southern hemisphere tropical cyclones (although they seem to be less reliable as to "season" than the north Pacific). Take a look at the pilot charts and/or Jimmy Cornell.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 17:19   #37

Boat: Tayana 52

Did the trip from Florida to Townsville in 2006/2007. Took 12 months on a 1991 a Hunter 43. For detail see www.orpailleur.blogspot.com.
We came through Panama in April, took 10 days to get to the Galapagos and then 21 days to get to Nuku Hiva. Some guys headed south out of the Galapagos to pick up stronger winds and then ran dead square. We opted to keep high and tried to stay In the southern equatorial current which for us was marginally quicker.
The free trade agreement with the US kicked in for boats manufactured after 2000 I think so you should be ok. We had an agent value the boat for duty etc so didn't use the amount paid method.
One thing we had to do which may not apply now is keep the receipts for the anti fouling paint used on a haul out within 12 months of arrival. At the time you could still get TBT in the Caribbean so AQIS wanted to make sure it wasn't coming in.
Another issue will be if the boat is a Hunter and then built in Florida it's a bug high risk area. Same with most stopping places on the way to Oz. AQIS will probably insist on an entomologist look over the boat for bugs. Any issue and they may have to get the 'sniffer dog' to visit. You may have to pay transport for dog and handler.
Ad I said, this was in 2007 so things may have changed.
Good luck.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 18:43   #38

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by southace View Post
Yes I would carry what ever food I will need that will last me till the first port of call on my passage. I will not shop for the entire passage to Australia . Are you saying the first only port of call is more that 2880 nm over 20 days sail?

Do you understand how expensive groceries are in faraway places, even a big town like Honolulu ? Groceries in USA are dirt cheap by comparison and cheaper than Australia too.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 21:57   #39

Boat: Halberg-Rassy
Send a message via Skype™ to sailordon

Hi, we have recently done that trip, purchased in Annapolis and sailed home arriving in Dec 2011. Great trip, suggest you arrive in Bundaberg, customs are good there, know what they are doing. If you want a blow by blow, let me know.
sailordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 03:45   #40

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Hang Around in Bundaberg till someone arrives and wants to sell their boat. I've got a great 2003 Hunter 44 DS in Bundaberg last year. The seller has to pay for quarantining inspection and the GST. I was lucky too as the dollar was up around $1.09US at the time
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 04:55   #41

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

We'd probably be the most recent arrival here, December 2013, and we decided to come in through Brisbane.
We'd heard all the horror stories about cost of transporting sniffer dogs etc so wanted to make the trip short. We have more timber than the Amazon.
AQUIS did their initial inspection, and a separate timber inspection with 2 guys going over the boat for a couple of hours, all for the standard original fee of $330. We were pretty certain we had no bugs but you never know for sure. We got a clean bill of health, but had we needed dogs it would have cost extra, and fumigation they told us would have cost around $8k!
They also said Florida, Caribbean and SE Asia were worry areas for them.

Sandy had the boat spotless and coffee and cookies on the go. These guys are human and respond like we all do when made to feel welcome, and their job made as simple as possible. Works every time.

We left the top of Chesapeake Bay in April and sailed via Bermuda, St Martin, Panama, Ecuador, Nuku Hiva, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Fiji, New Caledonia, Brisbane. Longest hop was Ecuador to Nuku Hiva... 31 days.

We weren't asked about last antifouling or refrigerant, so I guess different ports of entry may handle things differently.

You will need to spend money getting cruise ready. We bought from a couple who were already cruising so thought our cost would be negligible. HA! They had been trying to sell for a year, so they'd spent as little on the boat they could get away with.
You will spend money on repairs as you go. Probably something at virtually every stop. Everyone does. It's a harsh environment out there and the forces are massive. Stuff breaks, and it doesn't matter if it's a 30 year old boat like ours, or a 5 year old boat. They ALL sustain damage.
I wouldn't set out on a trip without $10k available, cash or card, over and above budgeted costs.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 04:59   #42

Boat: Tayana 52

Whereabouts in Ecuador did you go and was it worth it? We did Panama to Galapagos but might give Ecuador a go next time
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 04:59   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
Hang Around in Bundaberg till someone arrives and wants to sell their boat. I've got a great 2003 Hunter 44 DS in Bundaberg last year. The seller has to pay for quarantining inspection and the GST. I was lucky too as the dollar was up around $1.09US at the time
Hunter 44 DS are rare in Australia what price would you say yours might be worth as is?
Old 17-02-2014, 05:15   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
We'd probably be the most recent arrival here, December 2013, and we decided to come in through Brisbane.
We'd heard all the horror stories about cost of transporting sniffer dogs etc so wanted to make the trip short. We have more timber than the Amazon.
AQUIS did their initial inspection, and a separate timber inspection with 2 guys going over the boat for a couple of hours, all for the standard original fee of $330. We were pretty certain we had no bugs but you never know for sure. We got a clean bill of health, but had we needed dogs it would have cost extra, and fumigation they told us would have cost around $8k!
They also said Florida, Caribbean and SE Asia were worry areas for them.

Sandy had the boat spotless and coffee and cookies on the go. These guys are human and respond like we all do when made to feel welcome, and their job made as simple as possible. Works every time.

We left the top of Chesapeake Bay in April and sailed via Bermuda, St Martin, Panama, Ecuador, Nuku Hiva, Tahiti, Bora Bora, Fiji, New Caledonia, Brisbane. Longest hop was Ecuador to Nuku Hiva... 31 days.

We weren't asked about last antifouling or refrigerant, so I guess different ports of entry may handle things differently.

You will need to spend money getting cruise ready. We bought from a couple who were already cruising so thought our cost would be negligible. HA! They had been trying to sell for a year, so they'd spent as little on the boat they could get away with.
You will spend money on repairs as you go. Probably something at virtually every stop. Everyone does. It's a harsh environment out there and the forces are massive. Stuff breaks, and it doesn't matter if it's a 30 year old boat like ours, or a 5 year old boat. They ALL sustain damage.
I wouldn't set out on a trip without $10k available, cash or card, over and above budgeted costs.

Vic
The boats I was looking at is selling for around $200k AU in the states I would have to pay $20k GST and then I guess 20k for the rest of costs including spares,flights,survey,fuel and supplies. The way I'm thinking now is that I can get a well set up Australian registered Jeanneau 43 DS with 20 k still in my kitty for some cruising perhaps over to Fiji or New Caledonia ! Sail Airbus rather than Boeing!
Old 17-02-2014, 05:26   #45

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
Whereabouts in Ecuador did you go and was it worth it? We did Panama to Galapagos but might give Ecuador a go next time
Puerto Amistad. The marina has been set up by an American national. Really good guy. It's up a river and they will send out a pilot to guide you in. He's a local fisherman. There are sand bars all over the place so you do need him, but it's no drama. We draw 6'6" so needed a high tide.
If you draw more email them and see what they say.

The marina has no slips, just front and back moorings in the river. It is cheap, totally safe and secure. Cruisers leave their boats there and go off to explore South America for a month or two at a time.

The locals are friendly happy people. We provisioned at the market with excellent quality fruit and veg, for $20! I got the bottom cleaned by 2 scuba divers for $40, and had diesel delivered into my tanks for $1.25/gal.

We would go back there in a flash.

Puerto Amistad Restarurant and Marina

We had battled to make headway from Panama to Galapagos, so decided to go to Ecuador. It meant we were closer to the trades when we got going again. We picked them up at abut 10* south and passed well below Galapagos.

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia