Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 16:51   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Used Charter Company Boats

5 y/o charter boats will have lots of sail wear and lots of engine time. The batteries may be at end of life. However the systems on the boat will be in good working order - electrical, charging, autopilot, propane, head and plumbing.

SunSail put a new engine in my friend's boat prior to delivery and threw in a RIB with outboard.

He put new sails on and maybe new batteries. He knew exactly what he was getting and there were no surprises leaving him ample planned refit kitty to put the electronics on board that he wanted - Chart Plotter etc.

He thought he had some issues with his Raymarine wind speed and boat log but it turned out that in 5 years of chartering they had never been calibrated - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 17:22   #32

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Theres been lots of threads where people who have never bought an ex-charter boat slag them off, but I don't think I can remember any thread where someone says they were sold a lemon.

Certainly I've never met anyone who has complained about Moorings/Sunsail.
Mark
First to admit my experience is localized and therefore limited. Were I to charter a boat in the BVI from Sunsail I might have a very different opinion. I visited their web site and they appear to have nice boats at reasonable prices.

I think many owners (not all) who place their boats in charter domestically reach a point where as long as the boat is safe and getting chartered on a regular basis they are less inclined to effect meaningful repairs unless they have to and cosmetics/aesthetics get very little attention at all. Perhaps it's different if the charter company owns the boats and/or is domiciled in an exotic location where customers demand more for their 1-2 week vacation dollars.

I doubt there are many (if any) posters on CF sharing that they bought a lemon regardless of the source. Most appear to do their homework and buy something they are happy with.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:12   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Old frog, I think you may well be right. They are two completely different industries and markets. The US boats are more likely to be chartered for daysails or short charters, or for instruction, whereas the charter boats in the BVI (and, no doubt, other prime charter destinations) usually go out on week long liveaboard charters, and are so equipped and maintained.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 16:03   #34

What a great and diverse conversation. Thank you all. We did a Sunsail week charter ot going about six years ago and had a grand time. Freshly minted ex charter boats from Sunsail or equal will surely get my attention.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Glacial erratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 16:23   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial erratic View Post
What a great and diverse conversation. Thank you all. We did a Sunsail week charter ot going about six years ago and had a grand time. Freshly minted ex charter boats from Sunsail or equal will surely get my attention.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
If you are serious you need to get on their list. When my friend got his there were 6 boats coming off charter. He got his 5th choice...

Sunsail and Moorings absolutely know how to move their boats off the lot. It is part of their business model to do so and they keep a list of interested buyers...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter