Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2010, 08:24   #1

Boat: vagabond 41
Send a message via AIM to vagrant
Vagabond 41

Hello all. I have a vagabond 41 which I purchased from the customs in the uk 13 years ago. She had been caught with more than her fair share of drugs on board.
I know she was built in Italy and is a completely different boat to the 42's and 47's. I believe they are Taiwan built boats. However apart from that I know nothing about her. Her previous owners were residing in prison when I purchased her.
She is a lovely blue water cruiser in which I have crossed the Atlantic four times. Also around Britain five times.
Can anybody give me any information about her ie. designer and or builders?
vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 05:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, vagrant.

According to this advert', the Vagabond 41 was a 12.70 meter ketch designed by Sciomachen, and launched in the mid 70's, by the yard interyacht Desenzano sul Garda (BS).

Vagabond 41, Occasion de 1978 - 40239

http://sciomachen.com/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 10:27   #3

Thanks

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for your reply. I just hope that I come across somebody that has a boat like mine. Most of the info I get is in Italian, (well it would be wouldn't it)? I am trying to contact the designers who are still in business. Which is more than the boat builders are.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:08   #4

Boat: Vagabond 41
Re: Vagabond 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrant View Post
Hello all. I have a vagabond 41 which I purchased from the customs in the uk 13 years ago. She had been caught with more than her fair share of drugs on board.
I know she was built in Italy and is a completely different boat to the 42's and 47's. I believe they are Taiwan built boats. However apart from that I know nothing about her. Her previous owners were residing in prison when I purchased her.
She is a lovely blue water cruiser in which I have crossed the Atlantic four times. Also around Britain five times.
Can anybody give me any information about her ie. designer and or builders?
What you want to know? We have a Vagabond too (BABA II), it's a heavy and strong bluewater cruiser. It wasn't a cheap boat, Sciomachen goal was to build a heavy weather boat for real sailor (in his mind a 25 Hp would have been enough). There are mainly 2 interiors: three cabins or four, some have a pilot house with double steering (you loose storage in cockpit). They have been build near Garda or in Fano (le Marche), the second builder made the outfit and interiors for the Wally's. You know that it's really heavy and not made for light winds with her 16 tons, on the otherside you can go near confortably with 30/40 knots without reducing sails. No osmisis have been noticed on this hulls. Maximum care of masts compression plates and unfortunatly, due to rudder ending at stern a wind pilot is hard to fit
momom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, momom.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:50   #6

Thank you for your reply. I found it very interesting. I have a wind pilot on mine which I have had to set well aft of the stern to avoid the back wash from the rudder.You are the only people that I have come across in my travels with one of these boats. I live on mine. I love the bpoat and agree with your comments about her. I would like to see some more info on yours if you have it please.
Cheers,
Peter
Old 13-06-2011, 00:00   #7

You can find several units here in Italy. We also tried to put the Mustafa (wind pilot designed by Malingri) but to many problems and we renunced - now I'm trying to fix a wind sensor for the Neco autopilot,still the original, heavy duty stuff :-). You can see some pictures on our site (have to update it) on BABA II - this season my goal is to fix the Onan genset. We lived 8 month on it and it was confortable - all italian vagabond owner I know make charters. As the mooring is expensive here in Italy and our project of world circumnavigation failed for health problems of my friend we are makeking some charters too and boat is on sale. This week we will cruise to Ponza (Lazium Island) and then to Siracusa (Sicily) and maybe to Greece. Do you have picture of yours?
Old 13-06-2011, 02:01   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Very interesting looking boat.
Did you add that swim platform?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 02:26   #9

Yes, designed, builded and mounted by us. Very confortable and you don't have to pay the extra meters when mooring in italian marinas :-)
You can find some pictures on the website in signature
Old 13-06-2011, 02:35   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Cool.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 03:03   #11

Biggest pro: it's only 30/40 cm above water and its an additional stern protection. Cons: can't sail with it and it's not the best with bigger waves (but who mkes a bath or immersion with heavier weather?) when it's down. It's a summer comfort :-)
Old 13-06-2011, 03:46   #12

Have been on your website. Interesting. I have sent you an email. We could swop photos etc. My vagabond I have lived on for 14 years. We are setting off from the UK in August to NW Spain and hope to cross the Atlantic for the fourth time in her in late December.
It's strange getting info about others of the ilk having got her from the customs and excise with the previous owners residing in a British prison. Hence no information. I hasten to add that the customs had overlooked nothing so no goodies for the new owner. i.e. me
It was rather butchered when I got her and also she had been partially sunk by the smugglers to avoid detection. So renewed engine and all electrics and umpteen other things over the years. However it is such a massively built hull and a reassuring sail in heavy weather that it's been worth it.