Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2015, 20:11   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Van de Stadt Seal

The Seal design is a nice one. I recall seeing one (online) that looked VERY nice (round hull, made in Netherlands in Steel).

Post some photos. This thread needs more photos!

Ark! Ark! Calling all Seals!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 16:52   #17

Boat: Van Der Stadt Seal 36

Update

Well now into September, and a few developments... Yes the engine needs to be replaced as previous owner did cook it... the cylinder head was cracked and the block bores scoured so it's a major rebuilt, almost uneconomical at USD5000 upwards and 1 month warranty on new parts only..

Repowering is not easy trying to find the correct unit for our budget and local support (Sth East Asia). Been looking at Beta 38HP, Craft Marine 42HP as they seem to be the most reliable down here. Cost varies from USD10000 to USD15,000 fitted... No second hand engines available

Next is replacing the fried autopilot, an older Raymarine 300 series; almost USD900 to have an exchange unit wow

Here is a photo current condition of Crimson Tide

Rgds
Will
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CT side view July15.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	108404  
CaptWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 01:23   #18

Hi everyone,
I'm considering converting a Seal 36 (extended to 38'6") from sloop to ketch. I'm unable to buy the sail plans anymore from VDS, so maybe someone here can help?
Thanks,
Philip
stilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 02:27   #19

Hi Philip

The VDS website sells a book that has over 176 designs inside and a CD with plans. Euro 49 plus shipping

Did they not offer you that option?

http://www.stadtdesign.com/pages/book_eg

Rgds
Will
Old 29-11-2015, 03:53   #20
cws

Boat: None at the moment :(

I have a copy of the plans but not sure if there is a ketch sailpan in there, I'll have a look.
cws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 06:28   #21

Hi CWS, just wondering did you ever finish your Seal 38?, I have one that I bought 3 years ago and it looks a lot like yours!!

Tom
TomBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 02:36   #22

Boat: Nicholson 31 1982

Hi Capt Wil, how is Crimson tide traveling now?, new engine going well?
I'm considering buying an '1989 Seal, any helpful info on
them you could share would be appreciated, do you find the flush deck
alittle hot & dark down below? What condition was Crimson tide in when you bought her & where was that, in Australia?, any photos? do you mind telling what you paid for her so have an idea what their going for. Btw, I started a thread on Seals in Mono Hull section.
Regards Jeff.
Boxertwinjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 06:55   #23

Hi Jeff
Out sailing at the moment, will drop you a line in a few days
Cheers
Will
Old 17-04-2016, 15:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by st anna View Post
Anybody have a van de stadt seal ? Love to hear from you.
I have one on the Gold Coast, Mintinta. Bought her a few years ago in Townsville. Built in WA, classic interior west Australian she oak. She is steel 4mm plate, multi chine and goes really well. I have noticed that when a furler is installed they lose the second forestay and also many seem to lose the inner forestay. I don't have a furler I think they are useless and hanking a sail onto a forestay isn't that difficult on a Seal. They are extremely weatherly craft with the mast set back in the style used before builders began thinking it was important to not hit passengers on the head with the boom. The inner forestay carries a staysail and she points amazingly well with this sail. She looks a bit forlorn at the moment as i'm working on the deck. She has a draft of 2.2 metres which is a problem on the Gold Coast. We no longer panic when we run aground which is always on the cards around here. Hope your enjoying your Seal, they are great boats.
Gold Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 16:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWil View Post
Update

Well now into September, and a few developments... Yes the engine needs to be replaced as previous owner did cook it... the cylinder head was cracked and the block bores scoured so it's a major rebuilt, almost uneconomical at USD5000 upwards and 1 month warranty on new parts only..

Repowering is not easy trying to find the correct unit for our budget and local support (Sth East Asia). Been looking at Beta 38HP, Craft Marine 42HP as they seem to be the most reliable down here. Cost varies from USD10000 to USD15,000 fitted... No second hand engines available

Next is replacing the fried autopilot, an older Raymarine 300 series; almost USD900 to have an exchange unit wow

Here is a photo current condition of Crimson Tide

Rgds
Will
I have Seal with 57 HP Yanmar which is about right for the boat. I think you might find 38 HP under powered. I think they are about 14,000 Aus $ in Brisbane but might be a rebuilt engine.
Gold Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 19:48   #26

Hi Goldcoast

Good to hear from other Seal's owners; Thanks for the engine info; I finally had the existing MD2040 totally rebuilt and reinstalled in Feb this year; could not be any happier, it purrs beautifully and so frugal on diesel. Installed twin fuel filters as well between the tanks and 1 final unit before the engine built in fuel filter. That should fix any sludge or other unwanted stuff in the fuel distribution
Rebuilding cost (6 months warranty) and installation came to USD5K so quite happy with that..
Power wise, I get 6 knots at 2400rpm and 8 kts at 3200rpm, Crimson Tide weight is around 12T

Cheers
Will
Old 20-04-2016, 18:32   #27

My thanks are sent to CaptWil and CWS for their responses. It seems the info was available but failed to be offerred.
Continue on...
stilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 08:15   #28

Just crossed the Atlantic in my Seal. 16 days from Cabo Verde. Amazing safe boat. Felt safe as houses in her despite 40 kt winds and very big seas with some breakers.
Paint the deck white in hot climates I'd advise.
I have a wooden mast which is a bit of a challenge but found wood stain not varnish is the way to go.
PirateBarnabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 17:43   #29

Hi PirateBarnabus

Well done mate and reassuring to know we have a great design vessel. Any pictures would be much appreciated
Rgds
Will
Old 03-06-2016, 09:07   #30

Hi all,

I fitting out a seal 38 from bare hull, here is a link to facebook page about the build.

Might interst some of you

https://www.facebook.com/Intrepid-206407202855586/

Tom
TomBrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seals