Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2020, 17:28   #211

Boat: Sabre 34
Re: Vendee 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomPerignon View Post
I would like to see pictures of that broken rudder.
We got good video and description of the structural damage in the front of the boat last week. I think we deserve the same about the rudder.
I am not sure I would use the word deserve right now - he must be going through hell + has to make it to Cape Town with only the port rudder. I am sure more info will come out in due time, I would have some patience.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 20:06   #212

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think Alex would agree that Jean Le Cam is the best sailor.

It will be interesting to see how many of the Foilers end up compromised or DNF by the end of the Race.

The next evolution in design will have learned a lot from this one.
I am guessing structural failure of composites, due to high frequency harmonics, will be part of the data

Foilers were in the previous edition of the VG and took the four top spots. This is new technology, but not unknown.

Every VG has a high proportion of starters that do not complete the race, and in most cases it’s due to structural issues with their boats. This is not new for VG 20/21 and will surely continue in future editions. In top-tier racing you have to finish to win, but you can’t win with a slow boat. Balancing those two is the risk that every skipper and team take.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 06:07   #213
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I did an interesting project some years ago.....it was a simple yet intriguing project, as I had to replace a very long aluminum handrail on a pilot boat dock structure, that stretched way out over open water..

That handrail was starting to tear loose at the welded joints along it's length and nobody could figure out why.

It turned out that the culprit was the wind. Under certain wind conditions, the handrail was like a tuning fork and picking up harmonics, much like twanging a tuning fork. Placing your hand on the handrail in those wind conditions, you could feel the the thrum of the wind generated vibration. That handrail was literally shaking itself apart.

In the same regard, I believe these Vendee boats also have their own harmonic conditions. It could start in the rigging wire and be transferred to other parts of the boat.

I'm told the noise inside these boats at speed is horrific. That noise is telling a story.
These boats are all light weight kevlar shells, and much like the skin over a drum, can pick up vibrations, which can spread to who knows where.

Alex also chose to go with a completely enclosed cockpit, and while I can see the sense in doing this, it also removes one from being in tune with the boat so to speak......just my opinion off course....but he first had to repair the bow and now deal with the rudder.
I'm sure the designers are fully aware of how exposed and vulnerable those rudders are..and have taken all necessary (one would think) steps to avoid a structural problem here.

Alex has had problems with this boat before, but if there is any silver lining to this dark cloud, it is better to have problems in the south Atlantic, than the south Pacific.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 06:10   #214

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I did an interesting project some years ago.....it was a simple yet intriguing project, as I had to replace a very long aluminum handrail on a pilot boat dock structure, that stretched way out over open water..

That handrail was starting to tear loose at the welded joints along it's length and nobody could figure out why.

It turned out that the culprit was the wind. Under certain wind conditions, the handrail was like a tuning fork and picking up harmonics, much like twanging a tuning fork. Placing your hand on the handrail in those wind conditions, you could feel the the thrum of the wind generated vibration. That handrail was literally shaking itself apart.

In the same regard, I believe these Vendee boats also have their own harmonic conditions. It could start in the rigging wire and be transferred to other parts of the boat.

I'm told the noise inside these boats at speed is horrific. That noise is telling a story.
These boats are all light weight kevlar shells, and much like the skin over a drum, can pick up vibrations, which can spread to who knows where.

Alex also chose to go with a completely enclosed cockpit, and while I can see the sense in doing this, it also removes one from being in tune with the boat so to speak......just my opinion off course....but he first had to repair the bow and now deal with the rudder.
I'm sure the designers are fully aware of how exposed and vulnerable those rudders are..and have taken all necessary (one would think) steps to avoid a structural problem here.

Alex has had problems with this boat before, but if there is any silver lining to this dark cloud, it is better to have problems in the south Atlantic, than the south Pacific.
They definitely have fundamental frequencies to watch out for.

On Malizia, Boris was talking about the humming of the foil being an indicator of when it’s time to retract it. Apparently it starts vibrating at slow speeds.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 09:18   #215
Marine Service Provider

Not so long ago, I built myself a " waveski", which is a surfboard that you can paddle.

It was fitted with three skegs, a longish one in the middle and two smaller one's to the side and rear, much like you would see on any surfboard. The smaller one's were "angled" in towards the bow of the boat. I was told to do this by area expert surfers to help turn in on waves, though my inclination was to have them all parallel to the main axis of the board.

Sliding down a wave, you could feel the " thrum" of these skegs as they were clearly battling some forces down there.

These Vendee boats also jump up and down quite a bit, so the movement of the foil thru' the water is not in a straight line, but in an arc and I imagine there must be some impressive loads on these things.

Having a thrumming, vibrating foil is clearly not a good thing.
Old 30-11-2020, 05:51   #216
Marine Service Provider

Alex has posted a heartbreaking video on Youtube...almost couldn't watch it....he is obviously shredded....I'm starting to wonder about the whole Hugo Boss boat design now...it will take a monumental effort for him to give this another go I'm thinking...
Old 30-11-2020, 08:39   #217

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

************* PRB SINKS. *************
Jean le Cam is currently in the area for picking up.
He has visual contact with the survival liferaft.
Further news to follow.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 09:02   #218

No news yet.
Vendee live on the website today @18:15 CET, operation still ongoing since 17:05.
Next live i@ 18:30 CET.
Old 30-11-2020, 09:40   #219

18:30 Flash News in English:
Operation ongoing.
I hope Jean has not lost sight of Kevin Escoffier skipper of PRB.
south African and French coastguards are working together to find the optimal solution of this case.
Old 30-11-2020, 09:44   #220

Boat: KIRIE, Feeling32 DI,32

night has not yet fallen, there are still 3 hours, I hope Kevin had time to put on his survival suit and that he took his EPRB beacon
courtox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 09:46   #221

Yes he has his EPIRB according to my information and Jean le Cam has his position on his instruments.
I heard a report of 4m waves in that area!
Old 30-11-2020, 09:57   #222
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Noticed that Hugo Boss is heading towards PRB position, probably to offer assistance and maybe a ride to Cape Town.
He is about 30 hrs till on site.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 10:02   #223

Yes, he has some distance to cover, but that would be a possible solution. Only Jean has to slow down so Alex can pick up the survivalist.
Old 30-11-2020, 10:33   #224

Boat: KIRIE, Feeling32 DI,32

Jean got some trouble with the engine. Boris Herman and Yannick Bestaven will turn away, a Cargo will also try to join them.
courtox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 11:54   #225

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

Info from 8:30 p.m.
The race director asked Sébastien Simon (ARKEA PAPREC) to change his mind in turn.

Info at 7:15 p.m.
In order to reinforce Jean Le Cam (Yes We Cam!), The Race Direction asked Yannick Bestaven (Maître CoQ IV) and Boris Herrmann (Seaexplorer-YC of Monaco) to change their minds. The two solo sailors are currently heading towards Kevin Escoffier (PRB).
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote