Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2014, 19:32   #16

Boat: Cal 2-46
Re: Vessels to consider for circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I was mistaken about that Colvin Gazelle, my memory slipped.

While I think it is the best I have ever seen of its kind, and it would make me happy to own it and sail it around the world, it is NOT steel.

It is Aluminum!

One should see it to appreciate it.
Junk rigged and beautifully restored and painted recently. It looks new and like it was dipped multiple times in white AwlGrip. Check out the details.

Compared to some of the other boats you might find on the market, I do find this one outstanding.

1975 COLVIN Gazelle Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I knew nothing about the junk rig, but the more I read about it, the more fascinating it is.

I've added this particular Gazelle to my list. If she's still available when I take my road trip down south, I will definitely give her a good look!
glambx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 19:40   #17

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Have a look at this...

1984 AMEL Maramu Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 19:45   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Everything that follows is written in a friendly tone of voice, and is a humble attempt to share another's point of view.
I am writing in some detail to answer your questions.
I don't claim to be a expert on boats, and others will have different experiences and desires. I am only sharing mine to help you with a different POV.

I understand solo travel and have spent years doing it. There can be some appeal to going alone on a journey. I have done this several times. But each time, I highly valued my time with others I met while traveling.

And I have lived alone on a remote cattle ranch for months, with only cows, a bull, coyotes, scorpions, buzzards, and snakes for company. So I understand the appeal and value of solitude in nature, like you do. I have also spent weeks and months in close quarters and traveling with strangers who became close friends.

What size boat?
That is a million dollar question!

If one had a million dollars to buy any boat, it could be equipped to be easy enough for two to handle, or one with more difficulty. Electric winches, furling mainsails, thrusters, and other things can help. But I would not want to Singlehand a 60 or 70 or large boat. I have no desire for that. The Dashews double handed an 80 foot ketch, Beowulf,, but they are very experienced as a team.

But, most do not buy million dollar boats to Singlehand around the world.

If forced to sail alone, my skill level and budget would keep me to boats 40 foot or much less. I would look for things to make it easier for one or two to handle the sails, reefing, anchoring, etc. When alone, a boat of 30 feet can be big if the weather turns ugly and the sails are not reefed in a squall, etc.

If one were more skilled and had more money and support and desire to go faster, then one could go larger, as the Open class racingboats (40, 50,60) show highly skilled racers can manage. That is not for me either. It is possible for some, but that is not for me. I am not that kind of sailor and have no desire to be that kind.

But I also see how a smaller boat could be an adventure for a while. A few days or a few weeks at most for me. But a 24 foot ultralight or a very slow Flicka 20 to sail around the world is not my idea of fun and comfort either. Fine for short trips or day sailing or coastal cruising, but not what I would want to have to live on for 3 years while voyaging.

Even Robin Lee Graham traded up to a larger boat from Dove, while on his RTW trip.

A few months ago I saw a video clip of two young French sailors who were quickly sailing around the world in a small, Spartan, ultralight boat. It was impressive, and fast, but not my idea of fun and comfort.

Back to me?

Solo?

I would rather plan and make it possible to have crew for the passages, even if they are only temporary. I think that is smarter, safer, less stressful and more fun.

So, to have 3 others on board, a boat 35 (a little cramped) 40 to 45 looks appealing to me. Not too big for two to handle, but big enough to take two more adults for temporary crew. I feel I could happily live with a mate or SO on 40 and occasionally take on two more for passages. The question becomes, can you stand having two or three strangers in a small shared space with you for three or four weeks? I can and have. So I will.

I hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 19:56   #19

Common sense says that a single person is fine in 30-35ft boat. A couple can handle 35-40ft, as well as in emergencies it can be easily signlehanded. A couple with a child needs at least 40-42 and with 2 or more children probably at least 45ft or bigger. Although I personally know a couple who circumnavigated in 38ft boat with 3 children. Their 2nd circumnav was started with only 2 kids as the oldest one went his way and they ended it with only the youngest kid as the middle one also went ashore. Now they live on 46footer and are thinking of downsizing as they get on in years. When I got my 36footer they pronounced it big enough for at least a couple and a kid. Which actually is true.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 19:59   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
That is a good boat type for cruising, and that type is on my own short list.

But, as you own an Amel, what do you think of the condition of that particular boat?

What do you think would be the cost of possible refit of that Amel?

Looking at the photos for a few minutes, it appears a liitle tired to me. I suspect one might need to spend a lot to get it ready to go out for a 3-5 year circ.
Old 14-12-2014, 20:03   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glambx View Post
I knew nothing about the junk rig, but the more I read about it, the more fascinating it is.

I've added this particular Gazelle to my list. If she's still available when I take my road trip down south, I will definitely give her a good look!
There is a junk rig association or society with an informative website. Google that.
And there is a video on YouTube oulining some of the junk or lug rig advantages.

I find the junk rig appealing, for a few reasons. I have not owned one yet, but may someday because of the good things I have learned about them. They are not for everybody's taste, obviously.
Old 14-12-2014, 20:38   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

To answer the original question: find boats that commonly go around the world and you will be in good company.
I am 56 and can comfortably single hand my Valiant 40. Always like someone at the dock to take my lines (if I am going to a slip). Otherwise I can anchor out without problems. I am not a super athlete, but sailing does require planning and forethought.
Displacement and a well thought out hull design makes a big difference in a storm.
Just my two cents.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 21:00   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Earlier I mentioned that two young french sailors did a circumnavigation in a small light and fast boat. It impressed me. They have a few videos on YouTube I enjoyed watching too. Small boats can do it when the sailors have skills, guts, and luck.

Here is one.

http://youtu.be/zRgIst0XMp0
Old 14-12-2014, 22:06   #24

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

When we were looking at boats, the wife fell in love with the Hans Christain 38 MKll .. the boat we have now is the same layout.. just a we bit faster..
concerning a smaller boat VS large and single handing.. I single hand our 42 most of the time and its easier in my openion than a smaller boat..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 01:43   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
But, as you own an Amel, what do you think of the condition of that particular boat?

What do you think would be the cost of possible refit of that Amel?
Hello Steady hand,

I saw a few things on that boat, including dirty bilges, sagging head liner and non existent electronics. I would not see this as being insurmountable.

Regarding cost... how long is a piece of string?? My own boat is getting a top notch refit and it is costly but as I'll be living on it for 5-10 years, it is factored in the future.

For instance, I put a heavy budget into electronics but you don't have to. For instance, when we took Eleuthera to Turkey, we navigated on my iPad Mini with Med Navionics charts. Recharge either through the inverter or via 2 X Yoobao 15600 mha charger units. Cost = ZIP as I owned the Pad and Navionics already.

As for a refit: I would survey the rigging and service or repair as necessary.

I would remove electric furlers/gearboxes; inspect, repair as necessary. Same with all winches. Anti foul as needed and back into the water.

One assumes the engine and genset have been serviced.

The boat suggested earlier has a nice Onan genset.. not to be discounted if you have a water maker, washing machine etc on board.

My own boat is an electric GONZO. So I have davits and solar panels atop. Typically, while underway, I expect to run the genset for 3 hours once every 3 days. At anchor, I should be energy neutral. The reality is not yet known :-)

Old 15-12-2014, 07:20   #26

Boat: Outbound 44

I'd check out Crealock 34 or 37's and Passport 40's and plan to have someone to share the adventure with!
Good luck!
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 07:29   #27

Boat: Bristol 27

You could check the Mahina Offshore Boat list:

Mahina Expedition - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 08:14   #28

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

On Cal's, I concur, they're nice boats, but FYI, they have a few flaws (of the not so small type).

- The beam which supports the mast (compression loads) on them is made of galvanized steel, & is enclosed inside of some of the boat's primary fiberglass structure. On some boats they're in good shape, but on others, being 30 - 40yrs old (and living in a wet area of the boat) they need replacing. And such is a MAJOR undertaking.

- The hull to deck joint on many, being the same age as the beam (above) is often in need of rebuilding. Which means unbolting it (and the toe rails), grinding out the old joint compound, & then re-glassing (inside & out) the joint. Plus bolting it, & new toe rails, back together. Again, not a small job.

Examples of both of these jobs can be seen here Wilkie's Cal 29 Sailboat Page And on this particular boat, the beam issue is fugly, as he removes pretty much most of the interior in order to affect it's repair/replacement. Truly a labor of love, to put it mildly.

I'm not trying to knock Cal's out of the running, especially if you can find one with a beam in good shape, & that's got a solid hull to deck joint. Plus, these things don't apply to all models of Cal's. This is more of a friendly heads up is all.

PS: The Colvin Gazelle referenced above, has been for sale for quite a while. 9 months at least, if not far longer. So given that, you might be able to get a sweet deal on her.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 08:21   #29

Boat: Scout 30

If Robert Redford can single hand you can! Just be sure & review his movie to learn how not to do just about everything.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 08:23   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
PS: The Colvin Gazelle referenced above, has been for sale for quite a while. 9 months at least, if not far longer. So given that, you might be able to get a sweet deal on her.
Personal opinion follows....

What about the RAF?? (Row Away Factor)

Can this boat ever leave you with a smile on your face as you depart in your dink?? (Poor thing took ugly pills for breakfast)

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation