Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2017, 16:12   #91
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Visiting foreign ports without insurance?

It costs between $120 and $320 depending on policy period and coverage amount. $320 gets you one year and $300,000, $120 gets you three months and $50,000. I got the $120. plan because I expect to sell the boat very soon. It is underwritten by ABA Seguros which is a Mexican company. Here is the link:
https://www.novamarinsurance.com.mx/...ility-coverage
You can literally have your policy in less than ten minutes without talking to anyone (if you have a printer)
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 16:31   #92
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
east side and west side. if you have not been asked for your insurance, the port capt is slacking
East side West side...I am having trouble finding any official reference to the actual insurance law for boats here. I don't know about over there but over here on the east side the port captain is the law. One thing they sometimes ask for here though, (in Isla but not Cozumel) unless you clear in through an agent, is a certificate of fumigation. Also one of the questions on the medical examiners form asks if any of the rats on your vessel have been exhibiting strange behavior. So in addition to your six copies of every document (except insurance, you don't need to show that here) make sure that you keep an eye on those rats and to report if they have been acting strange.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 17:16   #93
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i am sure that once th e officials in mexico finish reading this thread there will be a need for insurance papers there as there are here. as i stated the only google info i can find is very outdated, 1996. in 2012 the laws all changed, if you want to test it, i am sure agace would love to tag your boat., they didnot go to east side as the complaints written in this forum were not involving east coast,. but now they are.
the mexican govt is trying to make the ports all uniform, which means, insurance, tip, visa and money to enter mexico. and no, port capitan answers to higher authorities of mexico. mexico rules mexico, not the local port capitans.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 17:27   #94

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
My idea of sailing is to just go, to feel free. I don't want to be restricted in one area by an insurance company. I also figure that if I sink while crossing an ocean I got more immediate things to worry about. Plus I only spent 15 grand on my boat including all the upgrades so I will hardly break the bank. What I was wondering is would they allow me to enter through customs without insurance papers

In our cruising travels around the world we have never been asked for insurance by Customs. It will be the marinas or yards that will demand it....and most dont. Ive only been asked for it once (Grenada) and that was for TPL. However we dont go into a marina unless absolutely necessary.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 18:39   #95

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=zeehag;2395946]i am sure that once th e officials in mexico finish reading this thread there will be a need for insurance papers

I don't think the Port Captain in Xcalak is reading Cruiser Forum.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 18:42   #96

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
It costs between $120 and $320 depending on policy period and coverage amount. $320 gets you one year and $300,000, $120 gets you three months and $50,000. I got the $120. plan because I expect to sell the boat very soon. It is underwritten by ABA Seguros which is a Mexican company. Here is the link:
https://www.novamarinsurance.com.mx/...ility-coverage
You can literally have your policy in less than ten minutes without talking to anyone (if you have a printer)
Good info Thumbs. I hope you’ve been able to fill in the insurance survey over at:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/C82SBJP

I promise to compile the results and make it available to all.
Old 19-05-2017, 10:35   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Few ports require insurance but many marinas do. In some EU countries you are actually breaking the law if you do not have a third party insurance. E.g. Spain.

We were never asked for insurance if anchored or using commercial or fishing docks.

Cheers,
b.
would love to do this but it is not always practical
I need insurance for a 60 foot ferro cement Samson
and cannot find it in any US market or foreign.

my understanding was that one was used to be able to do this but I have exhausted all high risk US and foreign markets and it is not an option for a US citizen.

ANCHORING IS NOT ALWASY AN OPTION so what does one do?
are there any good self insurance programs out there that would cover this issue and problem...
ted manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 11:35   #98

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted manos View Post
ANCHORING IS NOT ALWASY AN OPTION so what does one do?
are there any good self insurance programs out there that would cover this issue and problem...
Cruise central and south america where they don't make an issue of it. I don't think anybody has that kind of coverage anyway. There are no claim adjusters hanging around El Salvador. I'v seen all kinds of wrecks and everybody just deals with the outcome. You cause some paint damage, you hire a local to fix for some $.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 12:40   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Cruise central and south america where they don't make an issue of it. I don't think anybody has that kind of coverage anyway. There are no claim adjusters hanging around El Salvador. I'v seen all kinds of wrecks and everybody just deals with the outcome. You cause some paint damage, you hire a local to fix for some $.
correction
the insurance is not for me....it is for liability
this is an essential in mexico if you are cruising there.
but not optional in the US if you want to get to a marina and power up or get away from your boat for a while.....

need an insurer for liability in America.
ted manos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, ports