Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2023, 14:19   #1

Boat: Sail Club member sailing Other Peoples Boats. Catalina 27/Hunter 28.5
Volvo Penta 38 HP

Taking a look at a heavy displacement monohull this next week with a re-built 38 HP Volvo Penta. 650 hours on the rebuild. Opinions of the Volvo please. I spoke with a guy at the Boat Show a few weeks ago in front of the Beta Marine setup who praised their engines after his own re-power and I like the idea of a Kubota for parts and service but a re-powering for this boat would not be a realistic consideration so your opinions on the Volvo is appreciated. TIA
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 14:31   #2

Boat: twinkeels, 9m
Re: Volvo Penta 38 HP

what exact engine model? what year ?
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 14:55   #3

Waiting on broker to forward full specs. The boat was completed and splashed 2012 but I can't answer your question yet. Will re-post when I have that information. My question was aiming at a general comparison of the usual suspects: Westerbeke vs. Yanmar vs. Volvo vs. Beta ect. regarding parts availability, customer support, reliability, maintenance issues/headaches.

Hopefully the 3 year old survey will have included an engine survey report.
Old 01-03-2023, 15:31   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
Waiting on broker to forward full specs. The boat was completed and splashed 2012 but I can't answer your question yet. Will re-post when I have that information. My question was aiming at a general comparison of the usual suspects: Westerbeke vs. Yanmar vs. Volvo vs. Beta ect. regarding parts availability, customer support, reliability, maintenance issues/headaches.

Hopefully the 3 year old survey will have included an engine survey report.

When you say the boat was completed and splashed in 2012, does that mean it is a home built? I would be more concerned about that end of it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 15:52   #5

Celestial- Factory built, home finished Ingrid.
Old 01-03-2023, 17:41   #6

Quote:
Celestial- Factory built, home finished Ingrid.

Very cool...I had one...a 1977 ketch and home finished. It came wityh a Volvo MDIIb 24hp. which was pretty useless. I replaced it with a Yanmar 4JH, 44hp. which was perfect for it. Which model is the Volvo?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 01-03-2023, 18:55   #7

The survey reports the engine as Volvo MD 3B. A factory built/owner finished Ingrid Ketch. For those of us drawn to this design this boat might be the dream you're looking to fulfill- I've never seen one that didn't catch my eye. It seems as though it could sail today but for my purposes the project completion list is more than I would take on. However at offered price and given her bones an ambitious sailor might have found a gem. Bellingham Craigslist.
Old 01-03-2023, 19:28   #8

Yup...The engine is the same as the MD2B but with one more cylinder. Getting harder to find parts for and a super heavy engine. I know these can really tug at ones heart strings but in the same way will tug on the bank account also. With the (I assume)teak over f/g decks and wood spares, you are wise to pass. I sold mine to someone who sailed her for a few years and later ended up on the rocks on the Big Island of Hawaii. there are other double enders that sail as well as these and others that don't.
Old 01-03-2023, 20:39   #9

Celestial- think you've described conditions as well as can be done. BTW- have you sold the Westsail 28 you rebuilt? And are the new owners having fun with her?
Old 01-03-2023, 20:48   #10

Attached is a link to a video walkthrough. The vessel has a lot of potential for the mariner with the right timetable.

Old 02-03-2023, 08:46   #11

Quote:
Celestial- think you've described conditions as well as can be done. BTW- have you sold the Westsail 28 you rebuilt? And are the new owners having fun with her?

Yes, a member on Cruisers Forum. Hopefully he chimes in soon. He was quite busy rigging her during all these storms we've been having.

Tags
penta, volvo