Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 16:24   #211

Re: Vote On the 'Best Blue Water Cruising Sailboat of All Time'

For a couple, don't see how anyone could do better than a Hylas 46, just
About any year after they left the charter realm
Habana Vieja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 04:10   #212
Marine Service Provider

Yes, the Hylas is great! I would also add the Stevens 47' (became the Hylas): One that NEVER entered the charter business (I think the last year was '86). Also, add the Hallberg Rassy 46': great boat, but a bit pricey.
Old 13-09-2012, 05:06   #213

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

If you look at the number of boats built over 4 decades, the number of safe & timely circumnavigations/ocean crossings, the years spent living anchored out "self sufficiently" by hundreds of cruisers, the number of countries visited, the collective hours spent diving for one's own dinner, the adaptability of "variable draft", the tremendous strength & reliability, their low COG/low windage, the hurricanes endured & shipwrecks avoided, their tropical latitude comfort, and social life accommodated...

My vote goes to the Searunner series of trimarans... All sizes are great, but the proportions were perfected in the 34'er.

SEASTEADING AT ITS BEST!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	061.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	46464   Click image for larger version

Name:	127_127.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	46465  

Name:	306.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	46466   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020392 (2).jpg
Views:	293
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	46467  

Name:	P8290437 (2) - Copy.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	46468  
Old 13-09-2012, 06:00   #214
Marine Service Provider

I thought we were supposed to be rating monohulls: Personally, I wouldn't go out of sight of land in a multihull.
Old 13-09-2012, 14:48   #215

Well, I'll wade into the fray and throw out my Nautical Development name. Not many of them built but I have never seen another boat that screams ocean sailing and strong wind like the shape and build of these 56 foot sailing machines. Very dry and very stable. With virtually no experience I was able to bring it down the jersey coast this past March in thirty knot winds and eleven foot seas while staying warm and dry. I was very close to buying an Amel until I was able to look at these side by side. Wow, what a difference.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 18:53   #216

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
I have sailed over thirty brands of "blue water boats", including Hylas, Amel, Oyster, Passport, Swan, Hallbergs, Hinckley, .....
I will take my Kanter 52 designed by Dieter Empacher over anything else that floats. She sails like a witch, and the worse the weather gets, the more I love her!!!!
Single piece, solid aluminum hull and deck (what is a leak?????) with a pilot house.
When you see a chain plate that is welded for 36" along a rib in a hull, you know the rig is anchored.
Sailors are so afraid of aluminum, yet I see blister jobs in every yard, the keel being dropped cause the bolts are rusty, and chain plates rusting inside fiberglass........
I am afraid of fiberglass!!!!!
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 19:02   #217

Boat: Carlisle Yachts: 59' Cutter-rigged Deck Saloon
This one is also worth a look. This guy bought a boat and then did it. Lots of compelling logic in all of his choices

http://www.magicdragon.info/booksum.htm
Carlisle Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 12:52   #218

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Are there any other benefits of having an aluminum/metal or ferro hull? I understand that they have higher impact resistance... do they have any drawbacks?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 16:57   #219

Boat: Looking...

For the reasons stated previously, and from personal experience in the 1970s (when cruising began to to boom thanks largely to this great design's influence), I support the Colin Archer/Crealock designed Westsail32.

Roomy, great storage, comfortable, very nice finish, made in USA, accessible systems, bulletproof, very reassuring to be aboard when the weather got brutal, and reasonably fast (REALLY) especially when the wind piped up (remember that speed is a function of waterline length).

My only criticism is that the cockpit was not real comfortable.

And I must say, to those who missed cruising in those earlier days when the Westsail 32 was a new design, for me it was the greatest time of my life. I cannot express how grateful I am that I took the advice to "go small, go now" when I did. The crowds get bigger every year, and the special places become just a bit less than they were.

"They called it paradise, the place to be......"

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 05:13   #220

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
Well, I'll wade into the fray and throw out my Nautical Development name. Not many of them built but I have never seen another boat that screams ocean sailing and strong wind like the shape and build of these 56 foot sailing machines. Very dry and very stable. With virtually no experience I was able to bring it down the jersey coast this past March in thirty knot winds and eleven foot seas while staying warm and dry. I was very close to buying an Amel until I was able to look at these side by side. Wow, what a difference.
Better than an Amel? In what ways? I've looked at several Amels on the market and think they would be hard to beat as a cruising boat, especially for a couple. And they are still in business and making boats.
Old 18-09-2012, 05:23   #221

Better is such a subjective term. Faster than an Amel, certainly not. Easier to single hand, nope. heavier built, yep. Able to handle rougher weather, given equal crew, yes. More living space, yes. A dry a bilge, nope. On Every Amel I looked at, the bilge was bone dry. I really liked that. Wish I could get mine to stay that dry.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 14:46   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticMaid View Post
I thought it would be fun for the members to vote on what they feel is the "Best Blue Water Cruising Sail Boat of All Time". I know this means a lot of things to a lot of people so I will be looking for the reasoning behind your opinions as well. I thought at the end of the balloting I will tally up the results and award a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place standing and post it to the forum.
why wait is is a west sail 32!
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 16:17   #223
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_a_sailor3 View Post
i would have to say to sail at or faster than true wind speed and to have the ability to out point most monohulls and stay even with the high performance racing monohulls. I know we all wait for the right weather window, but in reality we all know that "Murphy" always shows up with no wind or wind from the wrong direction. I would like to Be able to sail well in any wind condition means the trip will be shorter and far more enjoyable for captain and crew. Why do some say sailing in 10 knots or better so important? From my view of it all its all about the safety standpoint of getting to your destination in a shorter time cuts down your chances of encountering unexpected weather changes or surprises of any sort! SO I am going with a Multihull or trimaran, but in this case GUNBOAT 62
Son_of_a_sailor3: You are correct in thinking you will outrun some of the weather. But, what happens when you don't? A multihull tends to climb the big waves and fall off the back side-very unpleasant! When you don't outrun the weather, you will be praying for that lead keel. And when you arrive at your destination, unless you hang on the hook, good luck finding a transient slip! Multihulls are for partying close to shore.
Old 11-10-2013, 17:26   #224

Boat: Targa 96

When I sailed into Annapolis I thought I had arrived in Gods shipyard but then I went to Newport Rhode Island and it blew my mind. The one thing I know for sure is I haven't sailed on that elusive dream but have treasured each and every experience. Sorry, pass the sick bag.
woff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 17:54   #225
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my formosa gets perfecter daily
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, cruising, sailboat