Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2009, 01:27   #61

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
For a fast, comfortable, blue water capable and roomy cruiser that is also affordable, I would nominate the Kelly Peterson 44.

Peterson Cutter Website - Welcome
My used list
Biased I am, Cambria 44 a little pricey not many around but great sailor ,peterson 44 I love mine, and tartan 37 Agree with the valiant being nominated. So the new one on the list is cambria no longer produced.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 16:22   #62

Boat: Beneteau 35
I've been fortunate to spend some time crewing and delivering this boat:

1968 Abeking & Rasmussen Tripp Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
bene343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 17:13   #63

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Although I'm as biased as anyone else on this forum; I'll add that any boat for a couple expecting to do anything on the E coast of the US should have less then 6' draft and less then 65' vertical clearance off the water. To go more either way will definitely limit your options on the East coast. Of course you said "Blue water" but you also said cruising and IMHO cruising means you keep as many options open as possible.

Some might say the draft should be less to increase the number of places one can duck into but if your draft gets more than 6' in the ICW then you almost bump all the way and if the mast height is to much then you really can't go far from inlets in the ICW.

Fair Winds
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 17:24   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkall View Post
Although I'm as biased as anyone else on this forum; I'll add that any boat for a couple expecting to do anything on the E coast of the US should have less then 6' draft and less then 65' vertical clearance off the water. To go more either way will definitely limit your options on the East coast. Of course you said "Blue water" but you also said cruising and IMHO cruising means you keep as many options open as possible.

Some might say the draft should be less to increase the number of places one can duck into but if your draft gets more than 6' in the ICW then you almost bump all the way and if the mast height is to much then you really can't go far from inlets in the ICW.

Fair Winds
Yes, there are limitations for such a boat, but in my opinion, these are not significant limitations, unless one wants to spend a lot of time in the ICW and explore throughout the Bahamas. I think there are plenty of sailors with boats greater than 6' and 65' who are able to do as much cruising as they want to on the East Coast. They might use their dinks to explore more than other sailors do, but there's nothing wrong with that.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 17:37   #65

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
I didn't see what boat you have.

I know some of the sailors that have a boat larger then the limits I mentioned above and they don't do much exploring and the inlets do limit them. You are right that if you're not planning on spending time in the US east coast then it doesn't matter.

In our case we're spending less then 1 year total on the East coast and every time I go under a bridge the wife sends me below and if I have the depth sounder on the nerves get me when we have less then 6" of water under the keel. That's just me; however, as I speak to others in a similar situation - those feelings are much the same.

My boat has around a 63.5' clearance off the water and our designed draft is 5'8" and loaded we're close to 6'. Up here near the Chesapeake I know we've dragged the keel a few times through the mud.

Fair Winds
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 21:39   #66

Question Best Cruiser Under 30 LOA

I am looking for a great blue water cruiser in the 20 to 30 LOA size and was wondering what models (any years - old and new) I should be concentrating on. CAL25, O'Day 25, Hunter????

Scottsman
supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 23:48   #67

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Endeavour 40-42 of course

As anyone who has one knows, its the best of many comprimises, aurguably of course.
5.5' draft, annd <63 foot mast, nice aft stateroom with head, good ventilation, nice engine room, fairly large salon, center cockpit, good use of deck space... nice vberth.

True not the fastest, or the best looking, but then who wants to do all that teak work?

But the best thing is price. They can be had for not to much cash, pay it off fast and put the rest into upgrades... if done right you will have a boat that will go most anywhere, comfortably, and still have money to cruise.

My take anyway, and I'm sticking to it.

Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 04:04   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I liken it to the best shoes.....if you’re going to be spending a lot of time in them the best ones are the most comfortable ones.
For me that means one that has lines a bit like this and weighs a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	on the dock 4.JPG
Views:	616
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	10228  
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 09:26   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
I am looking for a great blue water cruiser in the 20 to 30 LOA size and was wondering what models (any years - old and new) I should be concentrating on. CAL25, O'Day 25, Hunter????

Scottsman
If you really want a blue water cruiser, take a look at this book:

Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere

By Gregg Nestor

All the boats he recommends are at least 30 feet LOA. The boats are in the Table of Contents:

Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take ... - Google Books

John Vigor wrote a similar book earlier entitled "Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere. He focused on smaller boats like the Catalina 27 which is widely available on the used boat market.

Both books will help you a lot.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 09:48   #70
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Best Blue Water Cruising Sailboat of All Time?

Easy: Mine!
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 10:30   #71

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Or look at John Vigor's "Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere," which includes a number of boats under 30 feet. Some of these smaller boats, such as the Bristol 27 and Cape Dory 25D, are affordable. I saw a 25D in good condition for sale in Rhode Island for around 10K.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 11:28   #72

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I like to think my Hans Christian is built like a brick $#!+ house. It's based on the Wetsnail 32 to some extent, but I think it really improved on it. Mariah's are nice too.

The crew is really a lot more important than the boat. Crews break before boats do.
You can get a fully equipped and ready to sail Westsail 32 easily for 40,000 and your HC for twice or more the price.

That's a big difference.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 12:43   #73

i would have to say to sail at or faster than true wind speed and to have the ability to out point most monohulls and stay even with the high performance racing monohulls. I know we all wait for the right weather window, but in reality we all know that "Murphy" always shows up with no wind or wind from the wrong direction. I would like to Be able to sail well in any wind condition means the trip will be shorter and far more enjoyable for captain and crew. Why do some say sailing in 10 knots or better so important? From my view of it all its all about the safety standpoint of getting to your destination in a shorter time cuts down your chances of encountering unexpected weather changes or surprises of any sort! SO I am going with a Multihull or trimaran, but in this case GUNBOAT 62
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 12:45   #74

You guys need to stop sailing with that lead Keel stuff! Your waisting time! Life is to short.
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 12:55   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Make mine the third vote for a Valiant 40. You done good Bob!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, cruising, sailboat