Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 10:20   #31

Boat: Hanse 531
Re: Wannabe moving up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
The funny thing is that most of the experiences I have had with people and sailing have been very supportive and positive. It is more of a high five and we need more women sailors, than where is your husband type of situation. Even in chartering, I hold the credentials and so the conversation wasn't directed at him.

I have always been up front, and forward at looking for instruction and always willing to learn someone else's way of doing things and deciding if that works for me. Their way may have value, as mine may. Or it just may be who and where I have had experiences with.

I have a funny though. Four years ago I bought my husband a Weems and Plath sextant for Christmas. Some of the funniest experiences we have had is taking it through airport security. My favorite is when we were asked to "turn it on"
LOL.

You are lovely. Go buy the boat and remember to post pictures
Old 17-02-2019, 10:59   #32

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards

i am so excited for you brookie!!!! i'm so glad that your hubby didn't let you down and is moving forward with you. do keep us posted!

as for the watermaker.... i've worked on a 47' sailboat doing all kinds of odd jobs on an off over the last five years (las time i sanded, primed, and painted her belly). anyway, one day the owners decided that they didn't want the water maker anymore. it was a gigantic contraption. so i dug it out and hauled it off the boat. talk about heavy!!!

good luck girl!!!!
Old 20-02-2019, 15:42   #33

Boat: Passport 40

ok I pulled the gun! meet TaFixe a 1982 passport 40! Hope the pic comes through...I can't get the photo to come through...
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 15:50   #34

lets see if that worked
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	186332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	186333  

Old 20-02-2019, 18:29   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
ok I pulled the gun! meet TaFixe a 1982 passport 40! Hope the pic comes through...I can't get the photo to come through...
You pulled the trigger not the gun. Congrats!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 21:51   #36

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
lets see if that worked
Congratulations!
Old 20-02-2019, 22:05   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Oooohhhh noooo... not a Passport 40!!!

Just kidding! Congratulations and good sailing. Enjoy the new boat buzz and have a great time learning all about her.

Jim
Old 20-02-2019, 23:17   #38

Boat: Catalina 470

Well done, let the adventure begin!
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 23:50   #39

Brookie, this is wonderful! Absolutely!!!

I love the Passport 40 (over the last five years, have drooled over a many, many, many). beautiful boats!!! this one looks sweet! the perfect cruising boat for a couple.

is the the one nearby in New England that you were able to crawl around in, or the one with some storm damage and receipts or the one even farther away?

is this the one with the water maker?

did you figure where you will put it?

how good does it feel? Please say!

am SO excited for you girl! (more pics, please)

Old 21-02-2019, 05:23   #40

Jim,
I am not in a rush to get anywhere

Wolfgal,
The one I bought was the local one. In the end it was in better structural shape, for a better price and I didn't have to deal with transport and repairs far away. The current owner has receipts, manuals and records since the beginning of time and that is helpful too.

It does have the water maker and like everyone said...that is a problem for another day. It does take up a huge amount of space on the boat but for what I am doing right now it is not necessarily an issue and I can deal with it down the line. And by then I will have figured out how to use the space efficiently.

I am very excited. I am just not sure where to start with things... So I will have to make a priority list, which will most likely be dictated by the launch etc. I have not located a home for it yet. we went and looked at a yacht club but as we do not intend on living in the area long that made no sense, so now I am trying to find a marina.
Old 21-02-2019, 05:29   #41

What Fun!

Congratulations on the new (to you) Passport! Gorgeous boat!
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 05:38   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wannabe moving up

Nice one Brookie.. made the right choice as well, long range ownership sucks ones soul.
Happy days..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 07:52   #43

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Congratulations - She looks fantastic. Now you need to change the title of the thread or start a new one.

I also recently bought a 1980s cleaner-upper and to-do lists are imperative. It is astounding how many ideas there are to write down so I typed mine in WORD and have it broken up into sections. The first are Shopping, To research, To take to the marina (for each trip).

Then the list is broken into sections of the boat, so there are Sails/mast/rig, Deck, Bottom, Steering and cockpit, Portlights/hatches (replacing mine), Head (refitting), Galley/Food, Engine/Prop, Systems, Cabin.

In addition to keeping a copy on the phone, I print out copies for marking up and leave them in the house, truck, and at the boat. It just makes it easier to grab one and jot down passing ideas then update the WORD document occasionally.
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 07:58   #44

Quote:
Jim,
I am not in a rush to get anywhere

Wolfgal,
The one I bought was the local one. In the end it was in better structural shape, for a better price and I didn't have to deal with transport and repairs far away. The current owner has receipts, manuals and records since the beginning of time and that is helpful too.

It does have the water maker and like everyone said...that is a problem for another day. It does take up a huge amount of space on the boat but for what I am doing right now it is not necessarily an issue and I can deal with it down the line. And by then I will have figured out how to use the space efficiently.

I am very excited. I am just not sure where to start with things... So I will have to make a priority list, which will most likely be dictated by the launch etc. I have not located a home for it yet. we went and looked at a yacht club but as we do not intend on living in the area long that made no sense, so now I am trying to find a marina.
Yes, having the boat nearby will help in so many ways, especially when it comes to lugging stuff. good call

do you have a big car/van/suv type of vehicle? do you have a garage to deposit stuff, tinker on stuff? i imagine that this could help....

i think that most folks begin by clearing the boat out completely so to clean the interior (and exterior) and chose what to keep and not keep. clearing out and cleaning up is a great way to feel like you've got a grip on things. if the boat is empty of stuff, it will make it a whole lot easier to fix and repair (and think clearly)

i do not know about marinas over there, but over here (am in france), waiting time is ridiculous: i've been on a waiting list in a small, cold, drizzly, rainy town in normandy (where the sailing isn't at all spectacular) for nearly 5 years... it's got to be easier over there: everything is!

here's something that could help:
for big jobs for which you have no clue, which would be terribly expensive to outsource, you can hire someone experienced to teach you to do it. sometimes you can work in tandem with the person. sometimes, more than anything, it is a matter of having guidance and a demonstration techniques, etc.

the big question: what are you going to call your boat?

am so super excited for you! this is definitely the beginning of the rest of your life!

so many folks, once they get out there, ask themselves: what took me so long? soon it will be your turn to ask yourself this!

congratulations!!!

Old 21-02-2019, 12:09   #45

Such great ideas thanks!

First her name I am going to change:
I have had the name for 13 years without a boat to put it on

Ta Fixe (ta feesh) it is and Angolanism for "its cool", I am pretty sure it is not taken

I am hiring out the bottom the first go round. It needs to be blasted as well as the bright work needing to be done. I actually like doing bright work (I do a lot of wood refinishing at home) and so that seems like a better way to spend my time. Cleaning the boat out and seeing what is there is a great idea. Someone suggested to me that before it hits the water, trace and label all the hoses....

There is a marina here in town I am trying to get into, they just sent out their contracts but I am also talking to the one in the next town, it is 20 minutes away, but it is more expensive too. One thing at a time.

Before I put in the offer I got quotes on anything and everything I could think of, sails, rigging, insurance, bottom painting, bright work, name changing, taxes, registration, slip and storage fees. I am sure there are things I forgot but I wanted to have a relative idea of what I was negotiating with.

Now I just have to start, that is the hardest part of any project...putting pen to paper.