Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2024, 08:55   #16

Re: WARNNG : BUCKET LIST TYPE STUFF

When we trailered a Hobie Cat, we didn't care which way around the mast was. Main thing is that it's safely supported and secured so neither the boat nor the mast get damaged if you hit rough roads, and that you have the required red flag/cloth on the end, assuming it extends significantly beyond the trailer lights.

Also, our mast had an oval cross section so we oriented it with the long side of the oval vertical for best strength, and the luff groove on top so it didn't get damaged.

I found some extra thick pool noodles at a local store to help provide some cushion where the mast was tied to the boat. Not sure that works for everyone.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 18:17   #17

First, my apologies to the Moderators. I think I was supposed to start at "Meet and Greet"....
Second, I got her. My little Precision Boat Works P15CB, named Sea Urchin, is sitting in the driveway.
Nothing quite like rigging Temporary Trailer Lighting in a thunderstorm (hello metal trailer), But they worked and I made the four hour trek home safely.
PapawBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 07:19   #18

Welcome, and it sounds like you got your head screwed on right. Too many unrealistic dreams come for advice they won't take.
I will echo the call for safety first, for you and your pup. The may go in because they are a dog and that is what they do. You might go in because something went wrong, like hit by boom. So PFD for both of you.
I would recommend find a sailing club to join, for learning, camaraderie and friendship. Sailing by yourself is fun, sailing with friends better, sailing with dislikable strangers is misery. Find people you like to sail with. You will learn faster that way.
blackwell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 10:55   #19

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

Hope you will always have great sailing.
I learnt as a child on the Thames in Cadet dinghies...

Please always tell someone your plans and estimated time of return; flares, radio etc even just for half day.

Club handicap is by guile.
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 15:18   #20

Lake Norman Sailing Club Beginners Lessons this weekend. They also have "Wednesday Evening Races" for students, who, with a trainer, can sail one of their boats in a supervised race. And they have a Sailing Club, where once you are certified to sail alone, you can just hop on one of their boats (weekdays) or reserve one (weekends).
But Lake Norman is somewhat of a zoo on weekends. Yahoos with pontoon boats get drunk and fall overboard type zoo. There are smaller, less occupied lakes in the area for weekend sailing.
As far a Natasha (my GSD), I will probably leave her at home for now. I would want to be comfortable with my skills before she comes with me.
But for now it's Trailer Repair. The boat actually looks better than the trailer. New coupling on the tongue, new wiring, submersible lights on the back....
Always something to do around a boat, right ?
Old 16-07-2024, 17:17   #21

Just checking in ..
So sailing lessons last weekend at Lake Norman Sailing Club. Light wind Saturday, instructor was knowledgeable and patient.
Sunday was a different story.
Wind was faint, and spotty. Sitting in the middle of the cove with no wind, at all, in 100°+ heat index, was no fun.
Made up my mind right then and there it'll be late September or early October before my little 15 footer goes out.
But, gives me time to prepare...
Old 18-07-2024, 03:50   #22

Am I calculating this properly ?
Mainsail is 87 sq. ft., so (87 X 2 = 174) I need a Main Sheet of at least 175 ft. lbs. of strength.
Does that sound right ?