Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2022, 16:08   #1

Boat: Catalina 425
Water water everywhere but how to get t

We are deciding what watermaker to add. Normal cruising is 2 people. We are looking at 2 Spectra unit although would consider others. The units are Ventura 200-C and Ventura R-T. One programmable the other manual. Would appreciate opinions of those who have used either.
TIA
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 16:40   #2

Boat: Catalina 425
Re: Water water everywhere but how to get t

I did some research H2O makers and landed on SeawaterPro based on feedback from sailing forums. They are very simple and very affordable. They might be worth a look.
Lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 16:55   #3

We've had a 200T (it was sold that way then, but included the remote panel so really the R-T) since 2013. Wouldn't be without it. We operate an almost entirely solar-powered boat so like the energy/liter numbers it has.

We had a problem about mid-way through its life with cracks in the membrane housing end caps. They just split. Both of them. Within a few months of each other. Had to pay for the replacements (and a spare I wanted to have as a result), knocking wood haven't seen a problem with this set (but it is getting to be about the same time - I don't like that thought).

TDS/salt sensor and pressure transmitters, that drive a lot of the automation, have slowly died. But I have a handheld that is a lot better anyway and analog gauges that I can use to tell filter differential and output pressure.

Other than that I can't imagine needing anything more than the R-T control panel. It provides every function we need. Don't see a need to run it from my phone. The instrumentation parts are the most susceptible to problem, at least in my experience, so I guess I prefer the more manual approach.

Overall would rate ourselves happy, but we have had a few issues as described.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 17:36   #4

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Our boat came with a Spectra Santa Cruz model [completely manual]

In use ~ 9 months/year every year for the past ~20 years.

It continues to produce excellent water at a rate of ~1 gallon / 12V DC AH at a rate of 10-12 G/Hr depending upon raw water temperature. [We frequent cooler waters...]

It is on its 3rd membrane. The Clark pump was rebuilt once. Likewise for both infeed pumps. [And one infeed pump is due for its second rebuild or replacement. TBD]

I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with a current Spectra manual version when [if?] the time comes...

FWIW

Cheers! Bill

PS: I love technology, but don't need it as a watermaker is pretty simple to run manually... You will need a hand held total dissolved solids meter anyway...

Tags
water