Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2022, 09:59   #1

Wauquiez 40-42 Pilot Saloon

Narrowing down my buy list/ of course, tradeoffs everywhere you look…

If you own a wauquiez starting year (2000), my question is ~ How do they attach the teak decks (a replacement question); how many years does it take before they become a real problem; and finally, is it “already too late,” because the balsa core has been comprimised by the time the deck holds water/ leaks water/ deck sends splinters?

If you own a Wauquiez, this is not a “trash them” post…. they are my legitimate frontrunner: please tell me what you are experiencing! The closest alternatives in price are Catalina & Hunter, and short of teak decks, I don’t see them reaching Wauquiez build quality.

*I’m all about pilot/ deck saloons!

B
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 14:33   #2

Boat: N/A
Re: Wauquiez 40-42 Pilot Saloon

I have a 2006 Wauquiez 41 Pilot Saloon. The teak appears to be glued down with the screws in between the planks buried under the rubber. As the rubber has been wearing off, the screws are now becoming apparent. In some locations (like the tops of lockers) the screws appear to be directly in the planks with bunghole plugs on top.
Zontani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 15:11   #3

Re: Wauquiez 40-42 Pilot Saloon

Hey Zontani!

Uhm…. (no), I did not buy a Wauquiez 41ps. I have shifted to Island Packets for many reasons, top among them being that they are a full fiberglass build, with no wood in the hull whatsoever. In the coming future, given the vast reduction in manufacturers of (affordable) true “blue water” capable sailboats, I think the value of a “rotless” bluewater vessel skyrockets.
Sweetspot being the 38 footers. Fuel remains a bugaboo, however, as we move forward in time.
*** enough about me!***

Tell me about what you are discovering?!?! )
And a “green-eyed” congrats!!!

I am still in *wait mode* for one more year: I liken buying sailboats to getting in a taxi…. once you buy, the meter is ~always~ running: $$$$ ������

��… on a personal level, I was just looking at a few Thailand, Phillipines, Bali, videos. I can’t wait. ((BUT))
logistics!!! I bought a beautiful farm in Maine, 30 minutes from the last affordable ports in the U.S…. try $120 a year for a mooring!!! I know, I know!!! Crazy, right?!?! But I am on the wrong side of the U.S.,,,, I was looking at videos of “best routes” to the Phillipines just today!

Would love the friendship! Tell me how’s-it’s going, and what “the big dream” looks like for you?

Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saloon