Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2019, 09:05   #1

Wauquiez 42PS Interior? Similar boats?

This design is perfect for my needs but it costs about double my maximum spend. The main aspects I enjoy are the large staterooms and walk in showers. I don't know why all boats aren't like this smh... My needs are coastal cruising and perhaps living aboard with my GF.

Are there any boats I could get that have a similar interior layout (not necessarily the super-ikea euro look but that's what you get in modern boats). I'd like to spend less that 300k and keep the length around 38-45 ft (don't need massive slip fees).

Is this interior unique? Or is there another boat I could find it on with a bit less luxury.

here's the boat

and this is the interior:
zachscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:37   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: Wauquiez 42PS Interior? Similar boats?

The jeanneau 45ds has something similar and, used, is priced well below $300k.

A couple of smaller Ds models have that type of layout, you can pick from them, too.

I also like these particular deck saloon boats for coastal cruising.Click image for larger version

Name:	f33d729b59dea458b411116bd5bff6da.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	191884
Old 12-05-2019, 09:45   #3

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for turning me on to these jeanneau ds's. The front cabins seem smaller and v-berthy compared to the wauquiez but since that would only be for guests anyway maybe it's not that important.

Not sure why they are called deck saloons though, seem to just be a normal boat?
Old 12-05-2019, 10:24   #4

I think the DS means a raised area, usually the cooking & living area. With outside visibility through windows. You step down to go forward and maybe aft.
I like 'em.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:12   #5

Boat: Catalina 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachscs View Post
This design is perfect for my needs but it costs about double my maximum spend. The main aspects I enjoy are the large staterooms and walk in showers. I don't know why all boats aren't like this smh... My needs are coastal cruising and perhaps living aboard with my GF.

Are there any boats I could get that have a similar interior layout (not necessarily the super-ikea euro look but that's what you get in modern boats). I'd like to spend less that 300k and keep the length around 38-45 ft (don't need massive slip fees).

Is this interior unique? Or is there another boat I could find it on with a bit less luxury.

here's the boat

and this is the interior:

The biggest fault with this Boat is the both heads are on the Starboard Side. No so easy to use when on a starboard tack.

Byron
Marinetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:14   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinetech View Post
The biggest fault with this Boat is the both heads are on the Starboard Side. No so easy to use when on a starboard tack.

Byron
Yes and they are a ways from the companionway also. The Jeanneau layout doesn't solve that either. But Wauquiez builds great boats!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:18   #7

I love your profile quote by the way. I'm not much into alcohol, but women and boats are pretty good. A lot of boats only have one head so both being on the starboard side isn't the worst thing ever. I live in Southern California, short term plans would be sails to Catalina and day sailing. Potentially living aboard.
Old 13-05-2019, 08:27   #8

How do you get engine access ?
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 08:30   #9

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

The Catalina 400 has a similar stern cabin. Very nice coastal cruiser.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 08:51   #10

Boat: Currently boatless

The forward head would seem to be more useable, given the generally fore-and-aft alignment. Athwartship heads can be a challenge when they're on the high side.
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 13:26   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

Perhaps a little bigger than your ideal size range, but the Catalina 470 has a great layout. Aft cabin has a centerline island queen, much like the Wauquiez, walk-in showers in boat heads, forward cabin does not have the centerline berth, depends on how important that is to you. I might be a bit biased, as I bought one recently :-). And you can get good used boats for substantially less than a new Wauquiez.

-David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	191976  
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 14:12   #12

Where (how?) does one sleep underway in this boat? I am not being dismissive, trying to understand how this problem has been solved... I know from experience that walk around berths usually make TERRIBLE seaberths. You end up sleeping on the cabin sole, whether you want to or not!

Also, does the galley sink drain while on starboard tack? (And the head sinks on port tack!)
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 14:20   #13

Etap 46 DS

3 big rooms, real deck salloon, a lot of practical storrage and significant better build!!
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 14:53   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Had a 42DS. Main head right at companion way step. Forward stateroom bed a tad small, but quite a bit of floor space between bed and door for a second stateroom. Some limit to ventilation throughout. Aft stateroom's only forward facing hatch sits under the dodger. The hatch in the main cabin could only open a little bit due to vang interference I find most any berth fine for down wind sailing and half of sea berths unusable (windward side) going to weather. I figured I am at sea 18 nights per year out of the 160 on the boat with 9 (guessing) upwind of which I'm on watch half the time so (blasphemy) sea berths were never that important to me. Cushions on the cabin sole worked just fine.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 16:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachscs View Post
Thanks for the reply. Thanks for turning me on to these jeanneau ds's. The front cabins seem smaller and v-berthy compared to the wauquiez but since that would only be for guests anyway maybe it's not that important.

Not sure why they are called deck saloons though, seem to just be a normal boat?
I agree; don't see how you can call a boat a deck saloon if you can't see out the saloon windows when seated.
The 40DS is the only Jeanneau I have seen that I would call a true Deck Saloon, but you don't get your island aft cabin in that one.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, interior