Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2016, 00:27   #31

Re: We didi it. We've brought a boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
Congrats!!!

1 more vote for Go have fun and don't be in a hurry to outfit it by the "Book/interweb manual of every essential to leave the dock"

I'm sure if posted- You could start a firey debate on the pros and cons of cruising lama's and weather or not you should go without.

Have Fun!!
Trust me, I want to get out and find out what does what and how the heck to sail her. In fact maybe putting a date for maiden trip would be a good idea.
FlippedPip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 00:28   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePz View Post
That's fantastic, where are you off too?
Nowhere quite yet. Going to enjoy the summer here in Barcelona with a few tips up and down the coast. Then hopefully a few months away to the Greek islands in 2017.
Old 29-02-2016, 00:30   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meacenas View Post
Hello Pip,
When we saw your post we had to look, googled your boat and took a virtual tour of the listing of your orange boat ( there was only one. lol ) on YW. Looks very nice for the price paid.
Seems like no matter what, there is always something that needs to be done, changed, adjusted, fixed, polished, inspected,......
Are you going to keep the boat orange? Its a unique color for a boat, yes? Enjoy, keep us posted,
M
I did well on the price in the end and managed to get the seller and broker to include a lot of things, so very pleased overall.
She'll be staying orange for the time being, it suits her.
Old 29-02-2016, 00:34   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwanderer View Post
Congratulations! It is a thrill and labor of love and a ton of learning. I too searched for about 9 months, viewed dozens of boats for sale, and ended up getting my Lancer 44 motor sailer. It is still a huge rush to have it, even if I've spent every last dime I have, and even dimes I didn't have, and I'm on my 20th revision to my TTD list. It truly is never ending. Today I'm taking her out for the first time since arriving in my home port of Alameda since purchasing and motoring up from San Deigo. I've bought all new lines and sheets, sails mended, all new batteries and charger system, new plumbing lines throughout (fresh water as well as black water), and details on and on.

One thing I'd say is keep a log. I'm just now going back and filing in the dates and details of what I've done, which as I recreate the history has been immense yet as time goes by I didn't think it was. I'd thought about creating a website, but for ease of getting started, I just created a Facebook account for the boat itself (First Name is the boat name, Middle Name is Captains, Last Name is Log). If you're on Facebook, you can then add yourself and your friends as Friends to your Boat's profile. It's easy to simply jot down daily notes to yourself, or upload and share pictures and stories, depending on the sharing setting you want (either Just Me for the mundane, or Public, or Friends to share with folks)

Best of luck to you!
Thanks a million. Great idea about the facebook, its own time line. I was going to put a website together to keep track of everything, but not sure I'll have the time now
Old 29-02-2016, 00:37   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Lifeboat orange, actually quite practical. Think you need an orange as a logo on your sails.
Just incase they don;t see me coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozwizz54 View Post
Well done - Congratulations. Boat ownership is a huge thrill and a big responsibility. I'm sure you'll love it like the rest of us.

Take your time over the non-urgent alterations. You've been given sage advice and my suggestion is that you think seriously about rushing into these things. Your lack of experience should be the first factor in your considerations in this area. Most things are there in your boat for a reason though a few are for the reason of extra profit in the construction stages. It takes experience and patience to know the difference.

Have fun!!
Yep, there has been great advice and I've enough to be doing on the urgent issues with out even looking at the refurb list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Woods View Post
Congrats, being a newbie is a ton of fun. For over 30 years I've had to own power do to the time. I always wanted to sail so I took a couple of lessons and bought a sailboat. I think being a new sailor is the best part so far. Auxiliary engines are your best friend when starting out. My wife and I go out sailing every week, and we're learning more every time we go out. When other sailboats are hoisting sails exiting the cut we keep motoring till about a mile or two.

Have fun, Woody
We'll be in the same boat and for me it's the only way to learn. Get out then, ull things, move things and make some errors.
Old 29-02-2016, 00:47   #36

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Congrats!

I can second the "go out and have fun" sentiment. That's what I did with my first boat (O'day 34) and it was the best way to find out what worked, what didn't, then update it down the line.

The orange looks great as well!!

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 10:19   #37

Boat: Carena 40

Congratulations. We got ours in September of last year a Carena 40. Also our first to own. We decided to stick with any recommendations from the surveyor and normal maintenance until we get a season experience with her under the belt. Then I believe the list and the priorities will change. Good luck and have fun.
Make_My_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 15:27   #38

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippedPip View Post
Closed on Friday after a 9-month search. Absolutely delighted with ourselves and now putting together the 'Effing list of things to be done.

She is a 1983 Noray 43, cutter rigged, which should be fun as a newbie. 3 cabins, more space that we could have dream of and nothing major do have done. Just lots and lots of things to get her ready for the summer.

Just think, until July last year I'd never thought of sailing, let alone owning a boat. Just shows what we can accomplish when we set our minds to it.
Wonderful. Thank you for sharing your excitement with us. I am sure we all can relate to 'that day' when we took possession of our long-dreamed-of boat.

Old or new, big or small, it matters not. Probably you will one by one, be emptying and scrubbing lockers and their contents, getting your new 'baby' more yours by the day. This is all part of the fun.

Regarding any significant changes, I agree with the others - just get used to her first. Get a feel for how she is to sail, and to live on. You will quickly work out what is right for you, and for your boat.

Have fun, stay safe, and enjoy.

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote