Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2014, 11:39   #1

Weather helm on an Endurance 37?

Has anyone any experience of weather helm on an Endurance 37?

The mast base on the very tired Endurance 37 I bought as a project boat is about one metre forward of the position shown on the sail plan. The previous owner tells me that this was done to eliminate weather helm. The deck is being lifted and replaced as part of the rebuild and the mast has been removed for this to take place. The problem is - "where do I refit the mast?" Both positions have compression posts to support the rig.

My natural choice is that it belongs where the designer put it - unless anyone knows differently. Endurance owners are a bit short on the ground where I live so if anyone has any views or knowledge of this sort of modification, I'd really like to hear from you!

Cheers,
Old 16-09-2014, 11:45   #2

Re: Weather helm on an Endurance 37?

More than one designer has screwed this up. I don't know about your boat, but I would likely leave it where the owner put it if no one else has specific knowledge.

Later: Well... now not so sure about that mast location, much different boat than I was thinking. I found this thread, you might contact some of the posters here. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...7-a-61220.html

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 14:44   #3

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC

My Endurance 35 was built by Belluire and is Ketch rigged and doesn't have much weather helm if the sails are trimmed right. My main mast is stepped so that the compression post is just forward of the aft bulkhead in the head/shower area. Mine doesn't exhibit any excess weather helm if the sails are trimmed and reefed properly for the conditions, and I've had her in 35kts before.

If your's is a cutter try putting a reef in the main early and keeping a larger head sail rolled out fully so you have the same sail area but just placed father forward. This would help you eliminate that weather helm if you feel there is a problem. Also, if your main has a large roach then that could help induce weather helm as well.

If it was me, I'd put the mast where the designer wanted it to be, but if it was moved already then all the rigging was probably sized for the current location so that it could get expensive if you're not already replacing the rigging.

But as far as inherent weather helm, at least in a ketch rigged Endurance 35, it is not any more noticeable than my previous Cape Dory sloop.

-Dave
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 00:36   #4

I finally got some information from a sail maker in UK who has some experience with the Endurance. He tells me that in single mast mode many owners have bought the mast foot forward. So I'll keep it where the previous owner put it.

Cheers and thanks,

Paul
Old 17-01-2016, 05:27   #5

Boat: Endurance 35,1981

Hi Dave,

I just recently bought an Endurance 35 Ketch in Italy, it would be interesting to me if you could tell me what size's of standing rigging is on your ketch backstay forestry mizzen main etc....everything you have would be appreciated.

Very interested in picking your brain to gain knowledge

Thanks

Does she have teak decks, if so have you had them replaced ?

Thanks DaveC

Does your vessel have a Perkins 4108M engine in her

My Endurance will require the teak tobe taken up have you had the teak removed or was it GRP

Lots of questions as I'm just on the start of my project

Thanks
Madrugada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helm, weather