Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 10:00   #211

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Went to the Boatshow Today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c-m View Post
--- My point is that all those boats at the boat show represent someone's dream. You may have different dreams than the other guy, but there are plenty of designs, and plenty of dreams. So go and enjoy all of them and dream on.
You could not be more right. For each group that dream of having a given type of boat (and have money to buy it) you could bet that it will appear one on the market and the condo type that many seem to make fun about is one of the favorites, I mean one that makes more dream, specially if they sail well too.

On last Dusseldorf boat show I had a look at a boat I had some doubts about...not anymore, what a wonderful condo and I bet it sails well too, for a condo. Pity the price but for the quality it was to be expected. I mean this one:

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 10:10   #212

Can I be the first one to say:

"EEEK, no handholds????!!!???" : whistling:e ace:

And IKEA references????

And no fiddles on the saloon table?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
You could not be more right. For each group that dream of having a given type of boat (and have money to buy it) you could bet that it will appear one on the market and the condo type that many seem to make fun about is one of the favorites, I mean one that makes more dream, specially if they sail well too.

On last Dusseldorf boat show I had a look at a boat I had some doubts about...not anymore, what a wonderful condo and I bet it sails well too, for a condo. Pity the price but for the quality it was to be expected. I mean this one:

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 11:10   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Can I be the first one to say:

"EEEK, no handholds????!!!???" : whistling:e ace:

And IKEA references????

And no fiddles on the saloon table?
Nice to know you don't like it but I can assure you will be on a very minority group regarding the ones that will dream of having this boat. It seems to me that you missed that I said that it was a condo boat and I added that it will probably will sail well too. No mention regarding to be particularly suited for offshore work.

Regarding IKEA quality there are a big difference, contrary to me you did not visit the boat and I can assure you that it is a very high quality interior with very good materials and a spotless finish (that goes with the price). What has that to do with IKEA?

I assume that you don't like modern Nordic type design, but when we talk about IKEA we are referring normally to low quality materials and bad finish. The finish on this boat is very good as well as the quality of design, in what regards a condo and that's what I was talking about: a condo type of boat and one that sails well too.

Besides that is just a drawing the actual boat has central hand holds (the wood inserts) and lateral ones (stainless steel covered with white leather, if I remember right). I can only find this lausy picture that does not gave a real idea of the boat interior (you can see the handholds there). Actually the design gives a better idea of the interior.

There are many that want and desire this type of boat. Sailing well it will be a bonus
Old 25-02-2015, 11:25   #214

Quote:
Nice to know you don't like it but I can assure you will be on a very minority group regarding the ones that will dream of having this boat. It seems yo me that you missed that I said that it was a condo boat and I added that it will probably will sail well too. No mention regarding to be particularly suited for offshore work.
UHM, perhaps you missed the few thousand emoticons I included in my post????

I agree with a recent poster who suggested that there be a BIG emoticon that says
I'M JUST KIDDING

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 11:38   #215

Everybody has different idea of the boat that they want.
I think the biggest mistake is the people don't have clear idea what kind lifestyle they want before buying boat and they get effected by emotions at the shows when just looking on the "skin" but not deep enough to find out the structure, storage, ergonomics.
Hunter sold many boats by delivering what people asked "house on the water" and they did quite nice interiors, most big builders are own by investors and the only think they are interested in is the largest return possible.As you may noticed they build boats from the interior,bigger the better and than try to fit in boat ,hence the big chines on many of them, is that wrong? NO if this is what you like , and many do.
But if you want solid and well build boat you have to see the details and how they are put together at the end your and your family life will depend on it.
Skipper434343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 12:10   #216

Quote:
It seems to me that you missed that I said that it was a condo boat and I added that it will probably will sail well too. No mention regarding to be particularly suited for offshore work.
I've been on enough day sails to know there are a lot of amenities considered to be offshore necessary but should be on any boat that leaves the dock for more than a couple of hours. I would include handholds as being one of those amenities. Unless, of course, you only sail on rivers or small inland lakes.

Maybe the lack of handholds on many mass-produced boats just could be so as to not alarm potential buyers that it can get rough out there.
Old 25-02-2015, 17:00   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
UHM, perhaps you missed the few thousand emoticons I included in my post????

I agree with a recent poster who suggested that there be a BIG emoticon that says
I'M JUST KIDDING

I am a bit slow...but I guess I got it now
Old 25-02-2015, 17:05   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
I've been on enough day sails to know there are a lot of amenities considered to be offshore necessary but should be on any boat that leaves the dock for more than a couple of hours. I would include handholds as being one of those amenities. Unless, of course, you only sail on rivers or small inland lakes.

Maybe the lack of handholds on many mass-produced boats just could be so as to not alarm potential buyers that it can get rough out there.
Almost all boats that I see on boatshows, including all mass production boats have enough handholds for me even if it seems that not for all. The boat in question, the Grand Soleil LC 46 has plenty of handholds.