Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2019, 02:28   #1

Westerly Centaur 26

Instead of making a vague "what do you guys think of this never ending list of boats" thread, I'm going to pick and choose and ask for specific reviews.

So, I came across these in a thread referred to me by John61ct, and have never heard of them before. He, in the thread discussed, was looking for boats for very similar reasons with very similar requirements (albeit with some key differences) as I.

I've done some light research on them having simply read a few reviews, and have some questions.

1st. bilge keels? i thought i made those up. Just kidding, but really - can i sail up on high tide (assuming appropriate seabed, i'm sure some protocol can be developed to inspect an unfamiliar spot - possibly/absolutely involving throwing the closest kid overboard) and as the tide goes out, stand on the hard drying out … then wait for the tide to fill in and sail onward again? … that'd be really really awesome. i mean, that'd be really cool - especially at a beach full of … women who are wholly inferior to my wife talk about a grocery run folks

2nd. passagemaking ability - lets be clear, i KNOW i'm going to live aboard. I KNOW i'm going to cruise down the eastern seaboard and island hop the Caribbean. but i'd like to spend some of my rum and sun soaked wastrel days pondering sailing to Europe to cruise coastally over there. So, for the average quality sailor not trying to luck out too hard on the weather is that a feasibility? I'd be running short-handed for sure, with just my wife and 2 kids aboard to crew.

3rd. hull construction quality. thus far I've really been stuck on boats with a real reputation for overbuilt laminate layup schedules, this - i believe - is NOT that. I've been unable to find information yet on specific construction details - is the hull cored or solid glass? how well have they held up? how well would they hold up over the years to continued full time cruising? really just construction quality overall and the the ability to "get caught out in it"?

thanks in advance for Any and All thoughts and insights folks
Indefatiguable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 02:32   #2

Re: Westerly Centaur 26

Addendum:

How feasible/expensive is it to have a boat like this shipped or delivered across the atlantic? I've as yet to see one for sale on this side of things, in the full 30 minutes I've been looking
Old 16-08-2019, 02:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Westerly Centaur 26

The hulls are solid fibreglass built to Lloyds 100A standard.. only thing to watch out for is splayed keels where boats have been on exposed drying moorings.
Most by now would have had reinforced keel work done by now though, but best to check.
A good solid little cruiser that has stood the test of time.
Another Westerly worth a look is the Merlin..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 03:01   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Until you mentioned crossing to Europe I would have said go for it. There is a big brother series at 31ft with 4 or 5 different fin, bilge, ketch or bermuda rigs which would be good to live on as they just have that little bit more room.

https://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives...y-pentland.htm

If you are staying state side, then perhaps add a full canopy to make an extra room and fit some good sails, to make her sail well.

As for drying out, not a problem, but we choose a sheltered spot, I don't want the keels pounding as she dries or later when the tide comes back in.

Pete

Us 10 miles up a river were fins fear to tread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	197939  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 03:33   #5

Aye yeah I kept googling and read much the same as to build quality etc, including the larger - but still sporting those epic keel-feet - 31' model. let me find the link quick,

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...ate&so=descend

if i'm trying to stay within my ~$25k budget, man these things make it easy

the 31' varients seem to be what i'm looking at atm absolutely is there a website somewhere focusing on westerly's that lists the different varients and their respective names?
Old 16-08-2019, 03:40   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

There's no need to have a boat shipped across the Atlantic when there are lots of well built boats already on this side of the pond.

This list also includes the Westerly Centaur 26 and many other well built boats.

And don't forget to read the first time buyer section.

And btw, the guy that put this list together, James Baldwin, learned about boats while sailing, circumnavigating on a sailboat, and working at various boatyards around the world

He still refits old boats and has lots of videos on the subject on youtube

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

Pearson Triton Refit Part 2.

https://atomvoyages.com/video-galler...it-part-2.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 03:44   #7

"Listed below are 72 proven blue water voyaging monohull fiberglass sailboats up to 32 feet in length."

Dude, that's exactly - like exactly - what I needed. thanks bud

i'm gonna be awake for days googling and reading
Old 16-08-2019, 04:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indefatiguable View Post
"Listed below are 72 proven blue water voyaging monohull fiberglass sailboats up to 32 feet in length."

Dude, that's exactly - like exactly - what I needed. thanks bud

i'm gonna be awake for days googling and reading
There's some very good information there and I studied it for months before I stumble across my boat in 2011 which didn't even have a for sale sign on it.

I paid $2,000 for my boat and was sailing it within 2 months even though it had sat on the hard for 5 years. I have added or replaced things gradually over the next 8 years and spent another $10,000 bur now I have solar power, new mainsail, new outboard, new interior paint, deck paint, bottom paint (X3), autopilots (2), fans, inverters, new shades, tiller, outboard bracket, new dodger and mainsail cover, new tiller, running rigging, etc. It came with 5 anchors and lots of old still working electronics.....

I still need to replace the rigging at some point....

See a couple before and after pictures below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	197940   Click image for larger version

Name:	20111.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	197941  

Name:	DSC00210.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	197942   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00233.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	197943  

Name:	DSC00246.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	197944   Click image for larger version

Name:	old interior2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	197945  

Name:	DSC00133.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	197946   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00113.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	197947  

Name:	DSC00074.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	197948   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00384.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	197951  

Old 16-08-2019, 04:20   #9

Ah yeah man that's pretty a pretty nice find, as much as I like to say i'd rather buy 100% turn-key - I always end up going "technically solid but needs help" and spending way less up front. Trying not to do that again, but lol we'll see how it goes. It amazes me that I've spent so much time looking at every single flicka available on the market and now I've got this whole new … book basically … to go through and read about.

Thanks again bud
Old 16-08-2019, 04:22   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Aye yeah I kept googling and read much the same as to build quality etc, including the larger - but still sporting those epic keel-feet - 31' model. let me find the link quick,

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi...ate&so=descend

if i'm trying to stay within my ~$25k budget, man these things make it easy

the 31' varients seem to be what i'm looking at atm absolutely is there a website somewhere focusing on westerly's that lists the different varients and their respective names?
Wife + 2 = Centaur.....?..... I think not.....

Westerlys? Here you go...
Opinions wanted: Westerly 33 (Sloop) - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Links are in post #3.
Old 16-08-2019, 04:28   #11

Quote:
Ah yeah man that's pretty a pretty nice find, as much as I like to say i'd rather buy 100% turn-key - I always end up going "technically solid but needs help" and spending way less up front. Trying not to do that again, but lol we'll see how it goes. It amazes me that I've spent so much time looking at every single flicka available on the market and now I've got this whole new … book basically … to go through and read about.

Thanks again bud
I hadn't planned to do much to my boat and never had before on previous boats, but as the years went by, I kept adding things and painting things while putting off buying a larger, newer boat because this one seemed to be able to handle most anything I got caught in while sailing the Chesapeake Bay

It's a tough old boat as are the rest on his list...……

Btw, James Baldwin (Atom Voyages website) circumnavigated twice at least on his Pearson Triton 28. See story on website

https://atomvoyages.com/

https://atomvoyages.com/atom.html
Old 16-08-2019, 04:36   #12

you know, I'm looking at these bilge keel westerlys thinking couldn't you rig some manner of heavy soft line to go between the two keels - like a temporary stay - to prevent the splaying that people mention? doesn't seem like it'd be too hard...

I really like the notion of being able to set down without being hauled out. to squeegee the bottom clean easily once every few weeks instead of sanding and re-coating every season seems like a huge overhead saver … plus man they're cavernous compared to what I've been looking at and very inexpensive...

probably no where near as inexpensive as 2k up front with another 10k over 8 years though, that's amazing

was looking at : https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...owse%20listing

if only it was on the other side of the atlantic
Old 16-08-2019, 05:51   #13

Quote:
I really like the notion of being able to set down without being hauled out. to squeegee the bottom clean easily once every few weeks instead of sanding and re-coating every season seems like a huge overhead saver … plus man they're cavernous compared to what I've been looking at and very inexpensive...
Most any full keel sailboat is capable of this either by using legs which I believe is shown on the Atom Voyages website or careening.

Sail Gemini Careening

https://atomvoyages.com/articles/imp...some-legs.html
Old 16-08-2019, 06:04   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

If you must buy states side then I think you are going to have to give up the bilge keels.

Just saw this, they have spelt Fulmar wrong in the title.

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...dard%20listing

In the UK, dozens of them:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ech/1347776195
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 10:17   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
. . . if i'm trying to stay within my ~$25k budget, man these things make it easy

Have you considered a Cal 34 mark-1? Plenty out there at a good price. Very good reputation even for offshore.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote