Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2021, 16:04   #31

Re: Westphal

https://www.facebook.com/groups/193455938594118/

This is the Westphal group I set up .
See you there
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 16:05   #32

Here’s a Facebook Westphal group I set up if you are not already a member .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/193455938594118/
Old 29-12-2021, 13:18   #33

Hey there- I own hull 12 of the one design- live in Darien. Dave is an amazing gentleman- did a pilgrimage to key largo to have lemonade with him
PWkuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 14:13   #34

Hi .
I received a digital Xmas card from dave and wife last week . How long ago did you visit ? Obviously before they sold the boatyard . Pilgrimage is the correct word dw is a genius .
If you look on Facebook I’ve a Westphal boat page for other owners to post pictures .
Congratulations on owning a Westphal by the way . Is it a Westphal one ?
Woody
Old 29-08-2022, 09:38   #35

Re: Westphal 28 One Design

Hi there- I own Westphal one design hull 12- Have met with Dave Westphal and have some good old stories and photos if interested in connecting.
PWkuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 09:45   #36

For sure .
I too met David a few years ago . As we speak we are on the scintilla by David that I sailed across the Atlantic .
Are you on iMessage ?
Old Today, 12:21   #37

Hi all
I love this thread so thought I’d revisit it with a well over due Westphal update .

Firstly in 2022 we unfortunately lost David .
I’m still in touch with his wife and message now and again see his obituary below .

We have another Westphal 46 at the minute for sale in Miami . It has been sunk and refloated . The owner is adamant he wants money for the boat and tbh if someone pays the $1000 I think he’s wanting then at least it then mean something to them and does not end up on a anchor to get destroyed . I know this boat will be the same Dw well made boat but I’ve not seen it in person and it will probably need a new engine.

As for my Dw 46 I sailed it to the uk during Covid .
Where I re painted her and sailed a couple of seasons on the uk . Last month I sailed her to the Mediterranean where I am writing this on the hook . ( just where I like it )

Again don’t forget to join my Westphal owners Facebook page .
I’m always happy to take calls re Westphal on +447974653481 uk number .
Woody

May 18, 1934 - April 26, 2022
Big Pine Key, Florida - Dave was born on May 18, 1934 to Herbert A. and Mary L. Westphal in Port Huron, Michigan and died on April 26, 2022 in Big Pine Key, Florida.
He was an extraordinary boat designer, builder, and sailor which began at the age of eleven. After graduating from Port Huron High School and attending Jr. College, he left for Miami and enrolled in the University of Miami. He became well known for his building and sailing skills in the Miami community. His designs included the Westphal One Design and the Westphal Dualer, and in addition he built many custom yachts including steamboats, paddlewheels, Sharpies (Yellowbird, Tropic Bird) and many more. The Sail, Power, and Steam Museum in Rockland, Maine houses both a miniature and full-size version of one of his steamboats.
Dave married "the treasure of his life" Loretta Walls on March 10, 1988. They owned and operated the Manatee Bay Marine until retirement brought them to Big Pine Key. Summers were spent in Maine where they became involved in the sailing community.
David is survived by his wife Loretta "Luigi" Westphal, his daughter Mary Ann Weitnauer (Michael), and grandsons James (Erin Kavanagh) and Andrew Dorsey. He is also survived by sisters Nancy Madtes, Jo Westphal, Carole Bleasdale (Robert Gilkey) and numerous nieces and nephews.
Dave has donated his body to science, hoping to help develop a cure for Parkinson's. Following procedures to promote that, cremation will occur and memorial gatherings will be held in important places in Dave's life: East Boothbay, Maine, Port Huron, Coconut Grove, Miami River, Manatee Bay, and Big Pine Key.
If you would like to honor Dave with a memorial, please consider a donation to: Marr-velous Pet Rescue, 68 Silver Springs Dr., Key Largo, FL 33037
"A sailor is an artist whose medium is the wind."