Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2020, 21:26   #16

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
Re: Westsail 32

Trolls never want to deal with trolls... that’s how it goes... everybody knows...
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 22:16   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I love full keels. Just how I roll. If i had learned one thing and one thing only. It was to judge conditions. Cross wind? Cross current? wind direction in relationship to the berth and so on. If the conditions were adverse and there was a possibility to risk of my boat or others, I would side tie and wait.
As mentioned earlier...learn to back it up if you can. My largest full keel, tough to park boat was my Ingrid 38. At 25,000lbs you had to have enough weigh to have some maneuvering capabilities but not so much you could still stop it in a reasonable length. My best maneuvering full keel was my Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35.

I have a Westsail 28 now. Different animal than the 32 as it's keel does terminate before the stem and she is narrower in relation the the waterline making it a little easier to turn and track.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 22:56   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We built a W32 power away kit and sailed it to Tahiti and back to Kona. Damned anchor got stuck and we're still in Kona 40 years later. The W32 took some care to maneuver in tight quarters but not nearly as much of a problem as my lighter Pearson 35 which has embarrassed me numerous times. Never had a problem getting the boat into a slip or up against a pier, just went at it slowly. When I decided to get back into sailing thought seriously about buying our old boat back.

The house we moved into after living aboard and cruising for four years wouldn't store all the gear off the boat. Interior volume is huge with beam carried well forward and aft and tons of storage. Only thing that would be a problem for me now is a place to stow a bike though that could go in the forepeak for passages.

They are slow in light air and kind of like sailing an RV. They don't accelerate quickly but then they don't slow down quickly either. Spent the last 6 years of ownership here in Kona which is a very light wind area so very familiar with ghosting the boat. They will sail just don't get to frustrated when you get passed by a Cal 20. With a bit more wind will sail quite handily. Left an S&S 1/2 tonner in our wake in the trades and often had boats accusing us of using the engine when we passed them. Did a number of 175nm days on the boat and averaged 118nmpd with two crossings of the doldrums and almost no engine use. Only had 500 hours on the Volvo after more than 10,000 miles at sea and ten years of ownership. A number of them have competed in the Single Handed SF to Hanalei Race often winning on corrected time. They usually finish mid pack beating boats like Valiant 40s and others that are supposedly faster.

One thing the boat won't do is sail hard on the wind in light air with choppy seas. With all the weight and wetted surface they will frustrate a Hobie 33 sailor to death.

One last thing, in most marinas you will be paying for a 40 plus foot slip with the bowsprit, boomkin and self steering hanging off the ends. They are 32' on deck and you have to add the rudder and the other stuff in a Marina. That would be a deal killer if I wanted to buy one again in SoCal with $14 dollar a foot and up slip charges.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 03:43   #19

Thomm,

I'm with Creedence, Ann, Celestial and a couple of others. You've been looking for this boat for a long while (remember the Viking you went to see as a possibility last year?) and if the Westsail is in good shape and well cared-for, she'll be a lovely seaworthy vessel for you. And a manageable step up in size.

I second Ann's response that you'll just learn how to dock her - eventually. And really, what a small part of sailing is the docking. Concentrate on how she sails and if you'll like taking her out in the Chesapeake and further afield. Does she suit your needs there?

(Good luck) This is really happy news. I want to give you a cigar!

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 04:09   #20

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
You mean your biggest adjustment be letting go of the rush and bustle of the modern life and instead investing in a small living space with the biggest "back yard" you can imagine. It will be getting in touch with nature, yourself, and the world. It will be a beautiful awakening on the water where you can use the very air to move and find that your needs, your real needs, were smaller than you believed, but thought they be small, they have a depth of satisfaction that you couldn't imagine before.

Doesn't sound too bad.

Framing a lifestyle choice in terms of "change of available space" is a losing proposition. If you have to do it, tell yourself that you're upgrading your outside space by shrinking your inside space.
That sounds great but I'm still working and sometimes the air smells like diesel and gas in Little Creek since there are probably close to 100 boats to include navy patrol boats and ships in there at any one time

I cannot sail away at this time except on my short 3-5 day cruisers up the bay with wide tacks out into the ocean.

It's still a tough choice .

Also I have my other boat which I can't seem to part with even though this Westsail would be a much better cruising boat.......when I start cruising in a few years

Slip fee is for a 40' boat also with the Monitor Windvane on the stern and the Bowsprit......
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 04:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
thomm, what kind of sailing do you plan on doing? Are you going to continue your out & back trips as you've documented so well here over the years, or are you going further afield?

If you're staying the The Bay for a long time, you might want to seriously think about the choice of a W32, as cool as I agree they may be. It's not only the docking, which, with practice, practice, practice, becomes the new normal.

Is it harder than your current boat? Of course it is. I moved from our C25 with an outboard (had it 13 years) to this inboard, albeit fin keeler. It was a learning experience. My old slip in SF let me back to port, this one here in BC doesn't, makes a BIG difference. And I'd had this boat for 18 years by then. But I know how to use prop walk.

You'll learn, since you are the kind of guy who can.

But think bigger: what do you want the new boat to be for you?

Or are you just looking to move out of your apartment?
Thanks for that info.

I just hate paying about $1100/month RENT for a place (this apartment plus electric/cable etc) basically to keep my STUFF/junk and to sleep and sometimes spend an hour or so watching TV or messing on the computer
Old 17-08-2020, 04:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
We built a W32 power away kit and sailed it to Tahiti and back to Kona. Damned anchor got stuck and we're still in Kona 40 years later. The W32 took some care to maneuver in tight quarters but not nearly as much of a problem as my lighter Pearson 35 which has embarrassed me numerous times. Never had a problem getting the boat into a slip or up against a pier, just went at it slowly. When I decided to get back into sailing thought seriously about buying our old boat back.

The house we moved into after living aboard and cruising for four years wouldn't store all the gear off the boat. Interior volume is huge with beam carried well forward and aft and tons of storage. Only thing that would be a problem for me now is a place to stow a bike though that could go in the forepeak for passages.

They are slow in light air and kind of like sailing an RV. They don't accelerate quickly but then they don't slow down quickly either. Spent the last 6 years of ownership here in Kona which is a very light wind area so very familiar with ghosting the boat. They will sail just don't get to frustrated when you get passed by a Cal 20. With a bit more wind will sail quite handily. Left an S&S 1/2 tonner in our wake in the trades and often had boats accusing us of using the engine when we passed them. Did a number of 175nm days on the boat and averaged 118nmpd with two crossings of the doldrums and almost no engine use. Only had 500 hours on the Volvo after more than 10,000 miles at sea and ten years of ownership. A number of them have competed in the Single Handed SF to Hanalei Race often winning on corrected time. They usually finish mid pack beating boats like Valiant 40s and others that are supposedly faster.

One thing the boat won't do is sail hard on the wind in light air with choppy seas. With all the weight and wetted surface they will frustrate a Hobie 33 sailor to death.

One last thing, in most marinas you will be paying for a 40 plus foot slip with the bowsprit, boomkin and self steering hanging off the ends. They are 32' on deck and you have to add the rudder and the other stuff in a Marina. That would be a deal killer if I wanted to buy one again in SoCal with $14 dollar a foot and up slip charges.
Thanks. Good info on the Westsail
Old 17-08-2020, 04:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Thomm,

I'm with Creedence, Ann, Celestial and a couple of others. You've been looking for this boat for a long while (remember the Viking you went to see as a possibility last year?) and if the Westsail is in good shape and well cared-for, she'll be a lovely seaworthy vessel for you. And a manageable step up in size.

I second Ann's response that you'll just learn how to dock her - eventually. And really, what a small part of sailing is the docking. Concentrate on how she sails and if you'll like taking her out in the Chesapeake and further afield. Does she suit your needs there?

(Good luck) This is really happy news. I want to give you a cigar!

LittleWing77
Thanks LW but I'm like many here when it comes to sailboats, I like most all of them.

The price is right on this one and I have always loved the Westsail 32 ......but I was wondering the docks last week and came upon a boat I really didn't want to stop admiring. (as an exracer)

I can't remember exactly but it was a J boat!

Maybe J 120.

And yeah, I know it's nothing like a Bristol or a Westsail........

Also I was watching this boat on AIS this past weekend and he was coming in toward Little Creek at about 8 knots in some pretty crappy wind/ weather. It was pretty neat that I remembered the name of the boat.
Old 17-08-2020, 04:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Thanks LW but I'm like many here when it comes to sailboats, I like most all of them.

The price is right on this one and I have always loved the Westsail 32 ......but I was wondering the docks last week and came upon a boat I really didn't want to stop admiring. (as an exracer)

Maybe J 120.

Also I was watching this boat on AIS this past weekend and he was coming in toward Little Creek at about 8 knots in some pretty crappy wind/ weather. It was pretty neat that I remembered the name of the boat.
You're a hoot. A true Salty Dawg!

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 06:32   #25

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:

Maybe J 120.

Wow, a real Jekyll and Hyde situation here in choosing a boat.

Not sure what the "deal" your friend was going to give you, but did like the layout/mods done to the W32/Kendal version that was for sale on CF.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-236734-2.html
Definitely an upgrade to the standard W32.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 06:45   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Wow, a real Jekyll and Hyde situation here in choosing a boat.

Not sure what the "deal" your friend was going to give you, but did like the layout/mods done to the W32/Kendal version that was for sale on CF.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-236734-2.html
Definitely an upgrade to the standard W32.
Closer to half that or less maybe if I heard him correctly. (and I may have to "trade-in" my boat)
Old 17-08-2020, 07:23   #27

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Sometimes backing into a slip works better, especially with a bowsprit.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 07:39   #28

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Closer to half that or less maybe if I heard him correctly. (and I may have to "trade-in" my boat)

Always good to double check those types of friend's offers, especially after they've had time to think about it.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 08:12   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Always good to double check those types of friend's offers, especially after they've had time to think about it.
He is serious.

He went through some life changes but now things have leveled out for the better.

He's on the water at work (Ocean and Bay) so it's not like he'll be land locked without a boat.

I have backed out once already. The price is a real temptation though.

Westsail 32
Monitor Wind Vane
Electric Tiller steering
Heat and Air
Bimini
Steps on the mast
New rigging
The Perkins Diesel (leaks a but of oil and he is using diapers to soak it up)
Old 17-08-2020, 08:13   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Sometimes backing into a slip works better, especially with a bowsprit.
Thanks for the suggestion.

That bowsprit is really long too.

Tags
sail