Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2008, 07:47   #31

Boat: Bristol 38.8
No, I've just read what others have had to say about the Westsail 32.

Obviously the Westsail will be faster in a straight line, given enough wind. It's LWL is 2 ft. longer than the Allied 32. But the Westsail is three tons heavier.

Gillmer's Southern Cross 35 has an LWL of 28', six inches longer than the Westsail. So the SC 35 will in theory be faster than the Westsail.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 07:09   #32

Boat: Any time now!
I've heard a surprising amount of stories actually about how the Westsail 32 makes good average daily distances.

The LWL is actually 2.5 feet longer than the CSY 33. That is something to think about actually. I guess a half knot on the hull speed might mean something but it really wont be my determining factor on the boat. Basically what comes up when I am really ready to buy will have a big influence I imagine
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 08:14   #33

RE: Fuji 35, I believe they were built as Cutter rigs also, I know the 32 was.... RE: Westsail 32: I would imagine on a long downwind or reach the W32 would make a lot of distance. As was said, it's a huge boat with a long waterline. As I remember it that was the case in the races that they performed well in in the Pacific. The two people I cruised with had trouble even getting the boat to tack upwind at times. Usually ended up reaching off to get enough speed to tack. Having said that... who wants to sail to weather anyway? Plan your trip well and start the iron reacher if necessary! What the heck, your batteries are probably due for a charge anyway! My Hans Christian 38 wasn't much better than the W32 to weather, and it is frustrating how those type of boats just wallow going to weather even motorsailing. After 35 years of sailing my motto is: "Light is right!"
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 13:50   #34

Boat: Westsail 32
Hello,

I own a W32 and have no experience with the CSY33.

I can attest that the W32 sails well when sailed well, as can be said about most boats. I've made 175 miles on a beam reach in F4, 135 in F3 on close reach in 3-4' seas. Use the right sails, trim them well, and the boats move along in a comfortable fashion.

Everything else has been covered, though someone incorrectly said "a few W32s were made as kits". Around 800 hulls were made, with ~400 being factory finished and the rest being "owner" finished. Look around on the net to see pictures to acquaint yourself with the few different layouts. While the factory finished boats are more consistent in quality, many of the kit boats I've seen are more nicely finished.

I do suggest the W32 for what you're looking for. All the numbers; slightly longer waterline, heavier displacement, yadda yadda, are fine to look at. But outside of racing, theories are mostly ********. What matters is that good sailors get the boats to move like they should. Put a novice on a W32 against a good sailor on an Allied 32 and the Allied will win and vice versa. I've outsailed a 42' Hunter and been outsailed by a Nor'sea 27'.

Learn to sail well and whatever boat your have will sail well.

I suggest visiting the Westsail Owner's Association website and message forums to learn more about their quirks and tendencies:
WOA Web Site

Bud Taplin's site:
Worldcruiser

Best on your hunt,
Aaron N.

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 08:28   #35

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by anathema View Post
Sorry didn't quote the whole post dont want mine to end up TOO long

Fantastic review of the CSY33. I am really liking the CSY because there seems to be a very active owners group, and every single person I have talked to who has owned one has had glowing reviews of it mostly.

That it isn't a fantastic light-wind boat or does not beat as well as other boats doesnt really bother me for the reasons you have said. For light winds, especially reaching/running, I will probably outfit with a reacher or cruising asym spinnaker. Something with a nice big sail area so keep the ole gal movin Also this probably needs a seperate post, but for these types of large downwind sails, I have hear some good things about the roller furling for them by Roll-Gen. The advertising video is convincing (arent they always?) but not a whole ton of real-life reviews. I am curious how it does if the wind springs up a bit unexpectedly and you have a big chute out there. Will it roll it up nice in a stiffer breeze?

I am leaning towards the shoal draft because I imagine I will spend much more time gunkholing around the Caribe than blue water passaging, but I DO want the ability to sail across the pond once my skills are up to the task. Seems like the shoal draft is a good compromise here.

Wicked list thanks!! Electronics usually need putting in because I've noticed they are often either outdated or taken by the owner when he moves boats.

Just curious what about your boat allows you to outsail the other WS32 that you have seen? Just skill or did you do something that helped your boat be faster?

Nice looking boat. Only the ketch part worrying me. I don't now and probably wont when I buy have a ton of sailing experiance (2 years of large-lake sailing). Is sailing with a mizzen much more difficult? What advantages does it afford?

Anyone have a link to the "advertising video"?
Also, are there any Westsail 32 advertising videos out there?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 08:50   #36

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
I kind of doubt the CSY outsails the 32. I know the 32 has a bad rep for sailing but when the first 32's were brought to the east coast they had sails for the windy California coast. I know 32's have won races and haven't yet seen a CSY win an offshore race. http://www.westsail.org/_experts/racer.html . Now don't get me wrong the CSY is a good boat. I don't think it is in the same offshore class as the WS 32. However; I think for living aboard at the dock it is a better choice. Too if you're going to really hang in the Bahamas a few inches less in draft is all the better. Westsail hardware is still available from WESTSAIL - WORLD CRUISER YACHT CO. and for more info on the WS 32 try http://www.westsail.org/ . Either boat will do what you want to do.

Fair Winds
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 20:15   #37

Boat: Any time now!
Here is the page for the roll-gen

http://www.bamar-na.com/rollgenspinnakerfurler.html

The video is in the bottom right.
anathema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 10:43   #38
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I don't think it is in the same offshore class as the WS 32. However; I think for living aboard at the dock it is a better choice.
Perhaps you are right, but the previous owners of my CSY 33 sailed it across the Atlantic, then crusied the Med for 5 years and then crossed back to Florida. They reported no problems and were very comfortable.

So did the next couple who bought it and lived aboard for 5 years sailing constantly between Venezuela and New England with lots of Bahama cruising in between..

Never sailed a Westsail 32 so I can't compare, but can higly recommend the CSY 33 based on personal experience.
Old 26-08-2009, 10:51   #39

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Perhaps you are right, but the previous owners of my CSY 33 sailed it across the Atlantic, then crusied the Med for 5 years and then crossed back to Florida. They reported no problems and were very comfortable.

So did the next couple who bought it and lived aboard for 5 years sailing constantly between Venezuela and New England with lots of Bahama cruising in between..

Never sailed a Westsail 32 so I can't compare, but can higly recommend the CSY 33 based on personal experience.
Thats fair enough said.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 19:59   #40

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
You can compare some of their sailing qualities here:

Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2000+ boats

Have fun

Joe S
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 16:33   #41

Boat: Hume/Bolger, Blueberry, 26', Puff
Send a message via AIM to jwrandall
Quote:
Originally Posted by svquest2 View Post
You can compare some of their sailing qualities here:

Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2000+ boats

Have fun

Joe S
Thanks for that link. Very interesting.
Old 19-01-2011, 21:13   #42

if you are crossing water and it gets to force 7, 8, 9, West Sail!!!
actor44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
csy, csy 33