Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2020, 08:26   #46
cruiser

Re: westsail similar

Thanks Dennis for the input!

As I am starting to get up there in age and all the great things to do while going 'round I see I would probably be fortunate to get in one lap... which ofc is just fine...

Your trip from Maine would have been so great. What an adventure!
passage_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 08:57   #47

Boat: Cape George 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by passage_paul View Post

I am torn between putting an offer on it.. or finding something for a bit less and learn to do the repairs/refit myself.
If you like that kind of boat then that's the kind of boat you like. :-)

Since you are in the PNW you might take a look at the Cape George's made in Port Townsend. I have a CG 36. They are very well made boats, seakindly, and have a reputation for speed in a straight line.

As to buying a fixer-upper - if I had it to do over again, I'd hold out and find the boat I want in the condition I want rather than putting a lot of work into a boat that isn't quite there. It is cheaper in the long run.
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 09:37   #48
cruiser

Thanks Aurora.

I have thought about and researched a bit about Cape George... most that I have seen are a bit out of my budget. alot of variation.. 100k down to 30kish... The Marine Systems program I've enrolled in is just down the road from Port Townsend in Port Hadlock... I was thinking if I could get a job at CG...maybe sweeping the floor or "interning" while in class.. that maybe I could either get some skilled direction on rehabing a used CG.. get an employee discount... or maybe both??
Being "poor" requires a bit of creativity to make ends meet.

I am seeing that a serious fixer upper is likely far more time and cash than I would like to put in.. regular upgrades/refit would be great.. but I have no desire to do a complete overhaul
Old 14-02-2020, 09:55   #49

Spent some time circumnavigating Vancouver Island 2 years ago in company with "Blue Moon". Kees keeps his boat in very good shape, he's a shipwright and builder by trade.
Sun Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 11:14   #50
cruiser

The Westsail I posted and listed for 59k IS his boat Blue Moon.. it sure is a beauty. I thought a bit over priced...the description indicated the owner is a shipwright in Port Townsend... I assumed the price was a reflection of his skill. I see that it now has an offer pending... likely will be gone soon... I would love to know what it actually sells for...
yachtworld.com/boats/1978/westsail-32-3577375/

While I am going to school that way I plan to get to know everyone involved with the industry. An opportunity to learn from some of the best...
nwswb.edu/

I don't think I can find a better region of folks to network with irl.
Old 14-02-2020, 11:38   #51

CSY sailboat 33ft to 44ft
You will see why.
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 18:25   #52

Boat: Dreadnaught 32

Hello
Read you article. I have a Dreadnaught 32 that I've owned for 20 years and is now in Thailand. I left the west coast 6 years ago and arrived here last november. I planned a major haulout here for a year and then continue my journey. Because of family matters I would be willing to sell it here for a very reasonable price.

If interested contact me at whsail@aol.com

Will
souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 20:24   #53

I delivered a Westsail 32 from U.S. east coast to Bahamas back in the 1980's and did not like the boat. It is rolly and does hobbyhorse. In a steep chop it hobbyhorsed so badly that the prop cavitated and we could not hold the bow into the wind under power, as the prop is not well immersed nor does it have any hull over the top of it to prevent it sucking air.
I also watched one of these smash the bowsprit off of it going through the Panama Canal when the owners let it swing too wildly in the turbulence of a rising lock.
Marinas now are very fussy about charging for overall length, including bowsprit and bumkin. You will be paying for nearly 50 feet of dock for a 32foot boat.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 14:03   #54

Hello passage_paul, I thought I might also weigh in here. I have delivered 12 different W-32's over the years. 2 of them over 4000nm. 7 of them over 2000nm. I agree with Dinnisvj, "I don't think you would regret getting a Westsail 32. First off let me correct Paul Howard as he exaggerated just a bit - about 25%. 50 feet in length???. The W-32 is 32' plus 5'8'' (bowsprit), plus 12'' (rudder head), plus 9" (boomkin), for a total of 39'5''. An Aries windvane adds 11'. I agree that a W-32 may hobby horse at times. So will a Swan 39. But the W-32 will never pound, or crash in a wave. If you don't want to hobby horse than don't try motoring straight into a large steep sea.
Much has been said about the sailing performance of the boat in negative terms. Again, I disagree. Ainia said "a W-32 would qualify as slow". Let him name another 32' sailboat, carrying 3000 to 4000 pounds of stuff that is not slow. A W-32 is approximately the same speed as a typical racer/cruiser of 30' when going to weather under racing conditions when the other boat is EMPTY. Yes that means the W-32 is slower than the average 32' to weather. Does that mean 30 fters can't go to weather? When that Racer/cruiser is loaded for cruising, then it becomes slower than the W-32. Often MUCH slower. When reaching or running the W-32 will match any 32' cruising sailboat.
Paul Howard told a little story about a W-32 that lost it's bowsprit in Panama. Would you like to hear one of my MANY MANY stories of some other boats? Probably not so here is just one short one: A friend on his new xxxxxx 33, loaded with Thousands upon thousands of $ of equip, on his maiden voyage South, was hit by some sizable waves abeam, off Pt Arena, California. The waves smashed the rudder side-ways, causing the rudder post to break the hull at the post protrusion point. A Mayday saved his life via a CQ helicopter but his boat was sunk right there. As stated, I have many more stories. Good luck on your search and on your adventure. Remember, you're not getting any younger. Get going (I have sent you a PM, I think)
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 15:03   #55

Small correction to last post: should read 11". Not 11'. Sorry
Old 15-02-2020, 15:26   #56

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonian View Post
..Let him name another 32' sailboat, carrying 3000 to 4000 pounds of stuff that is not slow. A W-32 is approximately the same speed as a typical racer/cruiser of 30' when going to weather under racing conditions when the other boat is EMPTY. Yes that means the W-32 is slower than the average 32' to weather. Does that mean 30 fters can't go to weather? When that Racer/cruiser is loaded for cruising, then it becomes slower than the W-32. Often MUCH slower. When reaching or running the W-32 will match any 32' cruising sailboat....
Don't get me wrong, I love Westsail32, for many reasons including the purity of their design.

I have raced on a Westsail32 (a livaboard) and we won, thanks to a generous handicap. It was fun and the boat felt good to me. I liked it.

However there is some exaggeration going on in oregonian's comment:

"When that Racer/cruiser is loaded for cruising, then it becomes slower than the W-32. Often MUCH slower. When reaching or running the W-32 will match any 32' cruising sailboat.".

Not True, Many other boats of comparable size will continue to perform when loaded for cruising, and I have never seen a Westsail 32 match other boats except under handicap.

My own boat while loaded with at least 4000lbs of gear and provisions still performs well. We have raced it successfully in that trim. Even now when it has only 2000lbs of extra weight, it is a very competitive boat. The performance is not substantially hurt. The west sail 32's length adds up to 39'5". Mine is 42'6".

So, while a Westsail 32 is a nice boat, let's not make it into something is is not.
Old 15-02-2020, 17:15   #57

Hello again passage_paul and wingssail. Forgive me for going down a path that I don't like to go down but once again erroneous statements have been made for the purpose of perpetuating a myth.
Wingssail says "I have never seen a Westsail 32 match other boats except under handicap". And"...lets not make it into something it is not". Concrete data is hard to come by concerning some boats that seldom race. Wingssail, I am sorry " (you) have not seen ". That is your short coming. It is not everyone else's.
In one TransPac race a W-32 was 1st to finish in its class, BOAT FOR BOAT. 12 boats were beaten and 5 more DNF. Some examples of the slower fin keel boats: Erickson 35, Yamaha 29, Pacific 40, Coronado 34, Tanton 35, Cal 35, and C&C 37. A Crealock 37 lost its mast while 20 miles behind the W-32 so it was a DNF, There were others too. Sorry you were not at the finish line to learn. A Valiant 40, Cascade 36, Islander 36, Capri 30, and Pretorien 35, to name a few more, have also been beaten boat for boat in these races. Did I mention those were all fin keeled boats? Just for the record, A Westsail did win a Pacific Cup, over-all. In another race the same boat was 3rd over-all. Yes, these were handicap races - as are almost all sailboat races. If a Santa Cruz 50 wins do you say "it was just a handicap victory?"
Regarding old IOR boats: I say this; "lets not make it into something it is not". With that said, I admit the Serendipity's were better than the norm.
Old 15-02-2020, 17:43   #58

If I were you I'd grab the this Westsail. Probably the best one you'll ever see. Great upgrades. Will do the business. I want it myself.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 17:51   #59
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32
westsail similar

Passage_Paul.. you will get many negative remarks here about the Westsail 32. I went through the same process as you about 13 years ago trying to decide which boat was right for me. I ended up buying a Westsail 32 and I’m so glad I did. I love my boat and after 2 singlehanded trips to Hawaii and back, I do not regret my choice one bit. All boats are compromises.
Try to read between the lines .. I know the boat you are looking at, pm me for details if you want to. I also know of another W32 that just completed a pacific loop that is very well equipped that is for sale. I would say a bargain.
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 18:13   #60
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32

Also, what Oregonian has said is all true and verifiable. Most here will try and poo poo it, which is sad.
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail