Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2006, 02:15   #1

westsail vs. force 50

I have a 1970 Kendall (the predacesor to the westsail, exact same hull but has a flush deck, which I feel is superior to a cabin top) and a 1973 hardin force 50. I am trying to decide which one to keep. The force is a floating apartment and would be nice if my family grows or we decide to live aboard for a spell. What I dont like is the large cabin top and windows(weak points in a storm), it also has wooden spars (no teak decks-thank god) and I dont trust a wheel over a tiller. My Kendall is built like a tank. It is very well put together, with such things as cast lead ballast, and well laid glass. People have been giving me mixed information on which one would fair the best in a storm, which is important to me. I know my Kendall is built well, but I have heard coments that a good 50 footer would do better in storm than a 32 footer. Im not quite sure of the quality of the force 50 ( It was recently passed down to me).
Any help is appreciated, I dont have the time or resorces to own two boats. One has got to go.
Thanks.
froggman180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 14:31   #2

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Westsails and "The Perfect Storm"

For an answer to your question you may want to give this a read. It is the description of the "Perfect Storm" by the Westsail owner. http://hocking.edu/~geckler_e/SATORI/satori.html

Maybe this will help you decide.

Good luck.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 16:55   #3
Kai Nui

It is really a matter of personal preference. The Force 50 will put more cahs in the cruising kitty if you sell her. Of course, if you are a family of four, the 50 has it's benefits. I also like the flush deck. My heart would go with the lines of the Force 50, but my experience would go with the smaller boat for short handed cruising. Hope this is helpful.
Old 01-07-2006, 17:15   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I once made a single handed passage from Kona to Honolulu in something under 23 hours in our W32. Overhauled passed and left far behind, over the horizon, one of those Garden designed ketches. Either it was very poorly sailed or they are real dogs. My personal experience with the 41' Garden variety is they like to bark. Unless you need the space, it would be a no brainer for me especially if the deck leaks and cabin rot haven't been adequately addressed.

We tried to find a Kendall when we bought our W32 kit. Even had an accepted offer on one but got scooped. Friend had one with a small dog house which was a perfect arrangement. He concentrated most of his tankage under doghouse sole to keep the weight out of the ends. Also, they could look around without climbing up the companionway, something you normally can't do on a flushdecker and couldn't do on a W32 because of the bulwarks. We also found that deck hatches with wind scoops are much more efficient for ventilation in the tropics than portlights on cabin sides. Interior storage on the flush deckers was immense as well.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 20:09   #5

Apples and Oranges. Do you plan to live aboard and spend a lot of time in harbor. Get the Force 50. If your going to use your boat to travel a lot and sail often then get the Westsail . The China Clippers are great boats for living on. Yes you can go cruising on them but they ain't what you would call fast. You may spend several more days at sea BUT you will do it in comfort. I have a Formosa 51, she carries 500 gallons of water and 400 galons of diesel. 2 heads with tub/showers. Her own gen set and enough room to host a ball in the main salon. I live aboard and it,s great. If I want to do Hawaii Ill fly . Personal choice thats what its about. Hardin, Formosa, Vagabond, or Force 50 you pick or not.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 18:52   #6

Thanks for the responces, but I still havent got the answer I was looking for. The deciding factor for me would be safety at sea. What could handle the heavy wheather the best, and recoverability from a knock down (righting moment-ect....)
Thanks guys.
froggman180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2006, 19:37   #7

Westsail will right itself faster than a force 50. But then if you knock a Force 50 over your in some really bad ****.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 05:43   #8

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Boat Details compairson site

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggman180
Thanks for the responces, but I still havent got the answer I was looking for. The deciding factor for me would be safety at sea. What could handle the heavy wheather the best, and recoverability from a knock down (righting moment-ect....)
Thanks guys.

You may want to look here for some of your info. Valuable site.

http://image-ination.com/sailcalc.html

Hope maybe this is some of what you're looking for.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote