Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2018, 23:07   #1

What are the best areas for finding a good deal on a boat?

My girlfriend and I are up near Vancouver, BC. We're serious about learning to sail together. We'd like to buy a small cruising boat within the next couple of years(sooner the better, but after a few months of practice on a dinghy or friend's boat). I'm tempted to suggest that we take an extended vacation, once we've saved up what we're willing to spend, and head down to Florida to buy a boat and live there for a while. There seem to be WAY more opportunities to get into a well built 30 footer for WAY less $$$...Is this really the case?

Is there a popular area on the West coast for buying and selling boats?

Where on the East coast has a large number of used boats that people are eager to part with?

I've seen many videos on youtube of people around the southern east coast of the States walking around massive boat yards full of sleeping gems. I don't think we have those where we live...
Ellevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 08:10   #2

Boat: 53' Cutter
Re: What are the best areas for finding a good deal on a boat?

Will there be more potential in SE US? Yes, because there are many boats there. There are also plenty of boats in the NE US, NW US and SW US. Plenty of boats around, but which ones are actually for sale? Of those for sale, which ones need lots of TLC?

Realistically, the internet will yield about 20% of what is actually for sale. Roaming boatyards, marinas, and word of mouth might get you another 20%. The rest are "for sale," but the owners have yet to come to terms with it.

If you are truly not against relocating to get what you want, take a look at this gem: 1975 Allied 32 Ketch If it sells for 10x more than today's bid, I would not be surprised, and it would still be a good deal. If it sells for less, it is a great deal for the right owners.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 17:53   #3

Thanks for your reply. That Ketch looked nice. So hard to tell what sort of issues it might have had... We're not ready to make a big move yet, just feeling out the water.
I didn't get a chance to see what it went for, did you?
Ellevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 18:00   #4

Boat: 53' Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellevan View Post
Thanks for your reply. That Ketch looked nice. So hard to tell what sort of issues it might have had... We're not ready to make a big move yet, just feeling out the water.
I didn't get a chance to see what it went for, did you?
They ended the auction early. It was at $2260 a couple of hours ago. Indiantown Marina, where the boat is located, is a graveyard of sorts. People know about it. I sold one of my boats out of there on eBay over a decade ago, and MJ Sailing bought their boat there, as well as many others. I am guessing someone knew what a good boat that was and made a deal directly, which ended the auction.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 18:06   #5

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

for sheer volume of boat the US SE is hard to beat, don't get scammed though. here in the US NE there isn't quite the volume as down south but there are a lot of gems tucked aware in little boatyards waiting for a second lease on life.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 12:33   #6

Boat: Islander 32-2

from my experience, you would do well to look at areas that have ALOT of retirees, and an aging population, FLORIDA. Especially SW areas.
Sailing takes a bit of physical effort, and there are many GREAT boats available for sale by aging sailors that just can't handle the physical aspects of our sport!
Many of these boats are WELL taken care of, and incredibly well equipped!

I have purchased 3 boats from older sailors. I can't stress enough how important these relationships built on the purchase of "their baby" are.
Each time, EVERYTHING that was on the boat was included in the sale (except for a Kenny Chesney CD)

Again, you can get a GREAT, WELL equipped boat, and a mentor in the deal,
very much worth looking into!

enjoy the process,
cheers,
MOCHA
mocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 18:54   #7

Boat: Sailboat 51'

Try México, a lot of people sail down spend a few years and then don’t want to sail back north. Lots of good deals on well outfitted boats in La Paz, Mazatlán and San Carlos. We found ours about a year ago. Only problem was as soon as we closed the deal, several more even better deals came along.
Good luck.
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat