Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2007, 17:10   #1

Location: Southern Alabama, about 1.7 hours from the Gulf of Mexico---CLOSE ENOUGH!
Boat: Montgomery 17
What boat for a weekender, beginner?

Hello all, I would very much like to get into sailing as a hobbie, and possibly more than that in the near future. Now, I may be just dreaming but I believe I am very interested and ready to begin sailing on a frequent basis.

I am not new to the water at all, I have ridden out hurricanes on powerboats and fished on freshwater lakes and in the ocean all of my life.

I just recently decided to try my hand at sailing. My idea of what I want is something myself, and 3-4 companions could take 2-7 day cruises without much hassel and a decent amount of room. I was guessing that would be about a 25'-32' vessel? I know that I am a beginner, and I would definately take sailing lessons before attacking the sea by myself and unexperienced freinds.

So my question is what boat/s would be best suitable for me. Im not asking makes and models persay just a general idea.

I would also be buying a used sailboat, I am thinking under 10k?

Thank You,

Perithead
Perithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 17:53   #2
cruiser

You could easily find what you are looking for. You seem to have all the numbers right, but as always, the $10K is doable, but may not result in a "pretty" boat.

Since you're not asking for makes and models, I'd say a vast majority of the boats out there would suit your purposes. For 3-4 people, you will probably want to be in the 30 foot area, but most importantly, make sure the headroom you need is there. Diesel auxiliary engines are good. I used to have an O'day 302, which was above this price range, but a great boat for 4 people do to a weekend or a week on. Roomy, set up like a big boat, etc... Enjoyed it a lot. I say it only as an example, not as a suggestion on which to get.

Really, without going into brands, most any will work. I'd probably stick with fiberglass though, since steel would be too heavy in a boat of this size, and wood... well, you have to be a special person to care for a wooden boat. The fiberglass is just more simple as a first boat.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 18:13   #3

Location: Southern Alabama, about 1.7 hours from the Gulf of Mexico---CLOSE ENOUGH!
Alright, thanks!

Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

I do understand that under 10 wouldnt get a "pretty boat", but I am willing to do some work on it do make it "prettiER". I have good carpemtry skills and things like that so I think I could make her look nice.

Yes, fibergalss was deffinately the way I was swinging towards.

What should I worry about when looking at a used boat?
- I have heard of core rot? not really sure what it is.
- Of course the hull in good shape.

But what else would be some things I may overlook when checking out a sailboat?

Thanks Again

Perithead
Old 29-01-2007, 18:59   #4

79-82 Hunter 30, Catalina 30, Oday 302, Ericson 32, Person, no Columbias.
Your close enough to salt water that anything ferous on the boat will probably need to be touched or replaced.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2007, 20:35   #5

Hmmmm, ferous? I am afraid I have never heard this term, fill me in?
Old 30-01-2007, 02:58   #6

metal, bronze, non stainless.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2007, 03:34   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
“Ferrous” (or ferritic) indicates the presence of Iron (Fe). Ferrous metals contain Iron, whereas Non- Ferrous metals do not (comparatively).

All ferrous metals are magnetic and give little resistance to corrosion. They may have small amounts of other metals or other elements added, to give the required properties.
Some common Ferrous metals include: cast iron, low and medium alloyed steels (mild steel), medium & high carbon steels, and specialty steels such as tool steels and stainless steels.

Some common Non-Ferrous metals include: aluminum, tin, copper, zinc, brass & bronze, and the precious metals silver, gold, and platinum. They are not magnetic and are usually more resistant to corrosion than ferrous metals.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 17:18   #8

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
CHEAP!! For your first boat that's all you need. (28'-35') Think of it as disposible. Assume your going to chain saw it when your finished.

Your first boat is just a homework assignment. Any first timer has no real world idea as to what they want. So, go cheap and see what its like. See how you like it. Run it into the dock. Bouce it off bouys. Scare yourself 'till you spit dust. Learn how to keep a junkpile sailing.

Then, after a season or two, if your still interested in sailng, You'll know much better what you -really- want.

Asking the internet what kinda' boat to buy is a lot like asking who you should pick as a mate. No one will agree, and that's a good thing!

Have fun and post a pix of that first machine when you get it!

-jim lee
Old 02-03-2007, 20:37   #9

Cheap is a good idea for your first boat, and the smaller the better. If you really want to learn to sail the best thing to do is get the smallest boat that you can deal with. Look seriously at Sharks. They sell in your price range, perform well, can sleep four if they have to, but they are light enough that you can feel what happens when you pull on a line, and you will be able to develop a feel for sailing. Ideally, you would start with something under 20 feet...maybe a Siren or a West Wight Potter or a Montgomery...
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 20:46   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You may want to touch base with some of our Texas based sailors. Cruising short trips close to home seems like a great way to start sailing.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 21:26   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41
I would think of other costs as well. There is berthing or storage. repairs insurance capitol improvements etc. If you want a boat that has standing headroom you will probably have to keep it in the water I like the boats that Never Monday mentioned but you can also look at the Yankee 30 and the Islander 30. These boats will probably be at the higher end of the $10k

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:06   #12

Boat: Catalina 27
I had a very similar background just a few years ago. Grew up fishing out of small and not-so-small boats but had not boated much or sailed in 20 years.

We started with a sailing dinghy (and still have one, a Thistle, that we bought for $1000 including trailer). For lots of reasons, I think sailing a small boat is the best way to learn basic sailing skills. And I still think there is nothing as fun to sail as a small boat.

Currently we sail a 27' boat. It's just barely big enough for our family of four to live on for 2 1/2 months in the summer. We purchased that boat for less than $4,000. Then we dumped a couple dozen "boat units" in repairs / upgrades and went sailing! (one boat unit = $100). It was not pretty when we got it, but it works for us and it is PAID FOR!

Check out our website for some picts. Voyages of the June Bug

Good luck, Mike
Old 03-03-2007, 06:10   #13

Boat: C&C 27
Perithead,
Think about a boat from a large production run, Catalina, Hunter, O Day, etc since the fair market vaule will be better establshed. Also they will be easier to find and ultimately easier to sell. Don't get in too much of a hurry finding the boat since patience can take more off the price than negotaition.

When I bought my Catalina 25 years and years ago our family quickly out grew it. But being on the docks every weekend gave me the opportunity to sail a lot of other boats. When the time came to change I knew what I wanted in terms of performance, which boats had it and which didn't, and how much work I was willing to do.

Whatever you buy, not matter how cheap it is, get a survey.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 06:45   #14

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
There is a lot to your question. Are you planing on keeping it in the water or on land next to the water or going to tow it around and launch it at the ramps?

There are a lot of boats out there in All classes. Lots of people means bigger boat. Unless you are very close.

My Mac 26M is good for 2 people and 2 kids. I have seen 4 adult males in one by they were close freinds for years before that boat.

Please be careful. There is junk out there.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote