Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 11:59   #31

Boat: Turkish Gulet, 19m
Re: What is so great about the Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Taking a boat without a dishwasher offshore is just completely irresponsible and bad seamanship.

Just look at the numbers: most boats that get into serious trouble or even sink did not have a dishwasher installed.
I am glad you mentioned this. It seems only the Dutch have a sense of humor
ColonelWima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 12:19   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What is so great about the Oceanis 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelWima View Post
I believe any boat has blue water capabilities providing the crew is capable.
In Olhao, Portugal is the caique Bom Sucesso. 18x5.5 m with 2 latin sails. It sailed in 1808 from Olhao to Brazil to inform the king that the French had been kicked out and he could return. My boat, a Turkish Gulet of about the same size, ketch rigged, I believe has blue water capabilities, yes under sail, because of my small capable Turkish crew and wife, watermaker, dishwasher and solar panels.
We should not underestimate the Mediterranian Sea.
And a beautiful boat she is too...
Seen her many times while I've anchored off the Markets on the quay in Olhau..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2620755779_eb3bf811d2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	120950  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 12:55   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

Mass product manufacturers try to sell more of same sort of product by splitting the line into options, most of the times. Giving buyers choice seems to improve sales of otherwise mundane things.

800 liter water capacity in a 47er is imho a joke - there will be 4 to 6 people on the boat each with strong land grown water consumption habits. Land people use from 200 to 500 liters of water per day per capita.

Keel stepped mast is another joke as this neither contributes nor detracts from 'offshoreness' of a boat.

They will simply sell more boats this way. Advertising and marketing tricks. Bait for the ignoranti.

As for pricing, I am not quite clear what is meant by priced accordingly. I guess you mean the more expensive of the two. When you look at prices of well designed and built boats meant for extensive sailing, you will quickly find both versions of Bene are actually cheap boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 13:01   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Taking a boat without a dishwasher offshore is just completely irresponsible and bad seamanship.

Just look at the numbers: most boats that get into serious trouble or even sink did not have a dishwasher installed.
Oceanis 473 or the 46 doesn't have dishwashers installed by default so that cannot be the explanation for the price issue. Good point though.
Spermwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 14:17   #35

Boat: Scout 30

Here's an idea. Make a list of the significant differences between the 2 boat designs and we'll all guess at why & how the market reacts to them. At the end of the process I'm sure everyone will agree & you will have a clear definitive answer.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 14:25   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Mass product manufacturers try to sell more of same sort of product by splitting the line into options, most of the times. Giving buyers choice seems to improve sales of otherwise mundane things.

800 liter water capacity in a 47er is imho a joke - there will be 4 to 6 people on the boat each with strong land grown water consumption habits. Land people use from 200 to 500 liters of water per day per capita.

Keel stepped mast is another joke as this neither contributes nor detracts from 'offshoreness' of a boat.

They will simply sell more boats this way. Advertising and marketing tricks. Bait for the ignoranti.

As for pricing, I am not quite clear what is meant by priced accordingly. I guess you mean the more expensive of the two. When you look at prices of well designed and built boats meant for extensive sailing, you will quickly find both versions of Bene are actually cheap boats.

b.
Cheap boats...yup for sure, no matter the price they are generally the cheapest boats on the market. Why we want to believe for some reason that the cheapest are amoung the best is mind boggling. Where else and what else is manufactured to be the lowest price and a great product?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 14:41   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Cheap boats...yup for sure, no matter the price they are generally the cheapest boats on the market. Why we want to believe for some reason that the cheapest are amoung the best is mind boggling. Where else and what else is manufactured to be the lowest price and a great product?
It is mind boggling how much this conversation goes off-topic. If I'd have all the money I'd like to have, I would not even piss towards Beneteaus, but that is certainly not my situation. No one here ever suggested that these boats would be among the best boats there is. Question was a simple comparison of two specific boat models of Beneteau and why one of them is appraised higher than it should to my knowledge. The second point is that I am not looking for a bluewater boat. I am looking for cheapest way to drink beer in maximum comfort with my friends around the Mediterranean and with as many hot chicks onboard as possible.
Old 18-03-2016, 14:58   #38

Boat: Turkish Gulet, 19m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spermwhale View Post
It is mind boggling how much this conversation goes off-topic. If I'd have all the money I'd like to have, I would not even piss towards Beneteaus, but that is certainly not my situation. No one here ever suggested that these boats would be among the best boats there is. Question was a simple comparison of two specific boat models of Beneteau and why one of them is appraised higher than it should to my knowledge. The second point is that I am not looking for a bluewater boat. I am looking for cheapest way to drink beer in maximum comfort with my friends around the Mediterranean and with as many hot chicks onboard as possible.
If this is the case start looking for a Turkish Gulet. No cramped cockpit but large aft deck and matress space on top of the accommodation that chicks like. Maintenance may be an issue but friends might help varnishing.
ColonelWima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 15:28   #39

Quote:
Sorry I must have missed my nap, grouchy today. Great choice for the Med and I hope you attract lots of young women.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 15:37   #40
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
My question is primarily about the differences of the Oceanis 473 and Oceanis 46 and their market values. The boats are so similar that comparing them should a reasonable enough without ending up in the endless subject of opinions. The question is not at all about the criterion of what is a bluewater boat.
Get the one you like the best! If you like both the same and the price is the same get the newer one! Then go sailing and one day while sitting in the cockpit watching the sun set with a nice drink in hand wonder to yourself "I wonder what boat those people on CF decided was the best boat? Oh well it doesn't matter and they are probably still debating it.".
Old 18-03-2016, 15:44   #41

I will go with this one. Cheers!
Old 18-03-2016, 15:52   #42

Boat: a sailing boat

Beer? Cockpit life? Many friends?

I would get one of the Senses - great cockpit area, nice vistas from the salon, they sail well too. Avoid the blah blah blah drive by (wire?) whatever gizmo though as very many US owners had issues with this one gadget.

BTW they look cool too.

BTW Our friend is a sailing a recent B (I think about 34) - N Atlantic loops mostly and he sounds very happy with his choice. He used to own a First before. Altogether he sailed at least a dozen of crossings in these two boats.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 23:14   #43

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

My 473 was new in 2006 and I have been very happy with it . To date my experience with the yacht has been confined to the Med , but we have had our share of bad weather and big seas . I really enjoy the performance , space , etc . I think it is well built and well thought out , Beneteau have been building boats for well over 100 years and I believe that they have probably built more yachts than the rest of the industry put together , I just don't see the value in the many more expensive yachts that are of a similar length . I personally prefer the lines of the 473, to the newer 46 Beneteau range ,but that is subjective . Fair winds Garth Gregory
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 01:04   #44

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
with as many hot chicks onboard as possible.
Then don't even think of buying one of them with the 4 x 2 berth cabin layouts... I can think of nothing less likely to get you involved in a bit of horizontal folkdancing, especially in a hot climate...
Old 19-03-2016, 21:33   #45

I bought a 2004 473 recently after a long search for a yacht around this size. I looked at the younger 46 and was disappointed with the saloon finish and the quality of the fittings. 2004/05 seem to be the last of the old style crafted timber finishes which have been replaced by cheaper veneer panelling. I have a mate with the 46 and it is a great boat. I think its all about personal preference and whether or not you value a more traditional marine finish.
David Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oceanis