Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 19:23   #1

Boat: Pearson 35
What is the plate for on my Pearson 35

Thanks guys for the help, finally joined when I realized I spend most web time on cruisers forum.
Anyone know what the 4x4 stainless threaded plates on the deck of my pearson 35 hull 24... 1968 are for? One is on each side of the mast on the deck. They are both threaded and look like 1/2 threads and are flush mounted?

I am guessing pad eyes? The front of the boat has what looks like genoa track pointing straight back down the center line from the bow, so it might be rigged for a double headstay? Or for emergency stays or something else?

I am glassing the deck to make sure there are no leaks and had to get rid of rotten core in the cockpit so if they don't serve a good purpose they will go, be filled and covered?

Also does anyone know if the boat is balsa cored at the stanchions? Boats a train wreck, I love her.

Thanks
Jim
jimsavenir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 21:03   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: What is the plate for on my Pearson 35

They might have been for threaded blocks, as turning blocks for leading lines back to the cockpit.

We had some deck fittings that had screw-in blocks on one boat.

Ann
Old 05-08-2014, 23:11   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There were two threaded bronze deck plates on the side decks of my 1969 p35. Assume they were there to mount stand up blocks or eyes for the working jib sheets though the hardware had long since disappeared. Pulled them up and replaced with SS pad eyes to attach the vangs to.

The genoa track is mounted on the cap rail. So is a bit too far outboard for ideal sheeting of a non overlapping headsail. Personally don't believe in going that hard on the wind in winds that what dictate that small a headsail so haven't felt the need to use the pad eyes for the working jib.

There is an excellent P35 website that has a lot of good photos of how people have modified there boats. Unfortunately the message board isn't that well supported so not the greatest place to get feedback. Pearson 35 Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsavenir View Post
Thanks guys for the help, finally joined when I realized I spend most web time on cruisers forum.
Anyone know what the 4x4 stainless threaded plates on the deck of my pearson 35 hull 24... 1968 are for? One is on each side of the mast on the deck. They are both threaded and look like 1/2 threads and are flush mounted?

I am guessing pad eyes? The front of the boat has what looks like genoa track pointing straight back down the center line from the bow, so it might be rigged for a double headstay? Or for emergency stays or something else?

I am glassing the deck to make sure there are no leaks and had to get rid of rotten core in the cockpit so if they don't serve a good purpose they will go, be filled and covered?

Also does anyone know if the boat is balsa cored at the stanchions? Boats a train wreck, I love her.

Thanks
Jim
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 00:17   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The track on the center line might have been for a baby stay attachment, allowing some adjustment. On our Insatiable I, a retired IOR one tonner, the baby stay was attached to a track on the mid line, but it was like traveler track with a ball bearing car. Didn't work very well IIRC!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-08-2014, 03:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jim.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:03   #6

Re: What is the plate for on my Pearson 35 TKS!!!

You guys rock!

It all is coming together, our boat does not have toe rail so that plate would explain adding a block to lead lines back.

The front genoa style track was probably for a baby stay as we have a very odd small cut jib, almost a storm jib that came with the boat, in bad shape. The previous owner passed away and we are bring the boat back to life.

You guys think I should pull them, put new pad eyes? Our intention is to have a roller furled 140 so we can single hand? I think adding even 12 feet of toe rail in the right place will be a smarter long term fix?

I want to add toe rail on each side to sheet easier as the genoa track is way back towards the stern. Plus the spreaders are shot and I bought aluminum ones to cut down to fit the mast and I want to be able to attach a hailyard to something substantial.

Also the spreaders seem to have little if any rear rake? Never seen that on any of our sailboats? Slightly swept?
Old 07-08-2014, 21:38   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The 8' genoa track on the cap rail on our boat has worked fine for a wide variety of sail sizes. Doubt that you'd need a longer track than 8'. Can measure the location when this location passes if you need to pin down on the location.

What happened to the cap rail?? I pulled the cap rails on my boat when I glassed the hull to deck joint. after living without the rails for a week, bolted them back on. Lost so much stuff overboard with out them was going to have to take out a loan to pay for what went to Davy. Might think about making new cap rails out of Starboard or other synthetic for a no maintenance solution.

It's not a Hunter, spreaders are supposed to be at right angles to the center line on a real sailboat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 16:24   #8

Thanks, Im glassing the joint also. I wish teak was not so costly.
Old 30-12-2014, 09:50   #9

Boat: 1963 & '65 Pearson Vanguard
What is the plate for on my Pearson 35

we have some teak for sale- what state are you in? We bought it for or '65 PV but have extra

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
climbinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson