Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2006, 06:03   #1

Send a message via ICQ to emmo
What is this sail??

Hi folks,
I have bought a Samson 32, on the hard after being refurbished, needing deck fittings laid out before hitting the water.
Today I laid out the sails to have a look see and I have a heady I do not know how to use. Insead of the clew being near deck height, it is about midway up the sail. Is This designed for my fore stay or my innsr stay and in what combination??
Emmo
emmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2006, 06:46   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
It could either be a storm jib or, if not heavey enough for that, a fore-staysail set to fly above a jib set on an inner stay. Normally one finds that arrangement on a yacht with a bow-sprit of some kind, however. The high-cut clue gets the sail away from the water and, as a fore-staysail, allows it to be sheeted further aft and behind the sheets for the jib.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2006, 09:35   #3

The forestay is the inner stay. The headstay is forward.
Old 16-09-2006, 13:54   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
What size is it in comparrison to J. It could also be a blast reacher. They have a high cut clew as well.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 05:07   #5

Send a message via ICQ to emmo
Thanks for your help, things are slowly falling into place

Emmo
Old 18-09-2006, 05:38   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Emmo,
The other guideance is correct in that it could be built to use on the forestay or an inner forestay. Measuring it should allow you to decide yourself what it is for.

Such high cut sails are often termed 'yankee' sails in europe. I believe the term comes from such a cut being typically used on early US sailboats who needed such a high cut to prevent them being damaged by heavy seas taken over the foredeck in big seas experienced off the US east coast.

On the other hand, Genoas, the normal term for overlapping deck sweeping style sails, is said to have its name based on similar cut sails orginally seen in the relatively windless seas off the Italian port of same name.

I've no idea if a Gib (or Jib) foresail sees its name orginate from styles used areas around Gibraltar. But suspect others on the site with more knowledge than I can give more guidance.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 25-09-2006, 09:15   #7

((((Yankee))))
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote