Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2023, 13:15   #61

Boat: Pearson 386
Re: What is this sailboat?

It looks similar to a Chrysler 22. In its day it was once a nice pocket cruiser. In its present condition somebody would be glad charge you to haul it away and you should be careful t check if the trailer is structurally sound and roadworthy. You could probably find a similar old used boat that needs way less love for around three grand sometimes much less. To keep or sail it, or drive it anywhere other than on your own property you also need to register the trailer and you need liability insurance. To have a functional sailboat you will need the mast, the boom, rigging (both fixed and running) sails, don't forget life jackets, an outboard motor, cushions, a porta potty, charts, a safety kit, a horn, probably at least a han-held GPS device. Above all you will need a lot of patience to restore the boat if it somehow has a tangible value to your family because it will take most of a Summer or perhaps two Summers of someones spare time to bring her back. I doubt if there is a charity in the US would accept it as a donation.
OneBoatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 14:34   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevac5 View Post
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/kingfisher-20 Is where you will find your boat and all the details about it.

Nope, it was identified early on. It's a Hurley 20. compare the portlights and cockpit coming to the Kingfisher.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 14:45   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity View Post
Thanks for the great advice! But i'm looking to get an actual figure?

You're out of luck because there isn't one. It looks like your grandfather has stripped the boat to do repairs, assuming he didn't just find it like that at the dump.

So the relevant parts 'should' all be lying amongst other junk.
In which case the main expense is time and elbow grease, along with a couple of tins for single pack urethane paving paint to repaint the hull, some sealant for the windows and around the fittings, and some polyester resin and hardener, and probably fibreglass cloth.

Last time I restored a similar sized boat, and actually a similar design, I spend a couple of thousand dollars on it. You would only want to do it if you were restoring it to use yourself, or for someone else in the family.

The acronym 'BOAT' is said to stand for 'Bring Out Another Thousand'. Most of us who have had one or more know we have a 'hole in the ocean that we constantly tip money into'.

Either way, it's junk, or a reasonably expensive hobby/labour of love for someone.

Of course if there's a motor with it, it will likely be stuffed. Another expense for anyone rescuing it.
rossdv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 14:54   #64

Boat: SOLD our M/V HOPE Grand Banks 42 now we're Hopeless

Quote:
Cleaning out my grandfather's property. I have this sailboat any idea what kind of sailboat it is? Any idea what it is worth?
Like all boats --its a HOLE IN THE WATER in which you throw money.
In exchange you have a lot of fun letting nature move you around the surface of water. I have often said if I could walk on water I'd save a lot of money!!!

Someone asked WHY do you have a boat ----see the comment above!
CaptJPMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 15:18   #65

Boat: Ocean Spirit 34 - Catamaran

ok. my 2c worth ...

Its a very good hull.

Forget all the expensive sail-boat rigging ... Give her a coat of paint ... Fit an outboard bracket on her and buy a small second-hand outboard and tote tank and get out on the water.

I see many (ex) sail boats cruising without masts and rigging out on the briny having a ball.

Maybe fix the missing window with a piece of acrylic and make sure the trailer is road worthy ,,, oh and invest in the necessary safety items (lifejackets etc.)

Waterblast and paint and away you go
Have a ball and good luck ...
Kurlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 23:54   #66

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Thanks for the great advice! But i'm looking to get an actual figure?
There isn't an actual figure.

It depends on luck, knowledge, skill, patience, and luck. The skill set is completely different from that of a sailor who is simply competent at owning, maintaining, and operating a sailboat. Did I mention that luck is involved? You might sit on that project for 15 years and suddenly someone wants to gift you a mast that if cut down by a few feet, will work just fine. Ditto a boom. You might luck into a nice big roll of galvanized rigging wire that nobody wants, and you might already have a rigger's screw (splicing vise) but never knew what it was, and there might be an old timer around just dying to teach some young pup how to splice wire. Instant savings of a couple thousand, on standing rigging. You might find an old Johnson 2 stroke long shaft 4hp outboard that you can coax back into life for just chimp change worth of parts, for almost free. You might scour junkyards weekly (your time is worth something, though!) and one day find the almost perfect pushpit and pulpit, stanchions that ought to fit okay with a little work, and never turn down a box of old shackles, turnbuckles, thimbles, etc. The boat is already hauled out, so scraping and sanding the bottom are not such a big deal, but you will be surprised at what a couple coats of good bottom paint will cost. You can't use sherwin williams house paint, or krylon auto paint. In actual cash expenditure, you might put her back on the water for a couple thousand, or you might spend $6k. I think I mentioned that luck is as important as skill and hard work, at keeping your costs down. In the end, you will have a boat work a cool grand or more, if you throw in the trailer and running outboard. That's the way boats are. If you can find a charity that will take it, you might be able to write it off on your income tax? Not sure if that is a thing in the UK.

OTOH, this could be a very engaging project and a nice escape from reality. If you like to do stuff like that, then your entertainment value will just about justify the expenses, and in the end you might end up with a not bad boat to learn to sail in. Me, I wouldn't touch it. I am 63 and I might not HAVE 20 years of hard work left in me.

The closest you can come to a hard and fast figure would want first a surveyor to look her over and write her up for you. That shouldn't cost too much, maybe $400? Then drag the boat to a yard that will agree to have a look and give you an estimate for putting her to rights. Honestly, it shouldn't go into the 5 figure range. With the yard sourcing and fabricating and doing all the work, I am guessing around $8k. Work will be slow. They will put a man on it when they are between real jobs. In the end, you will have a pretty shipshape little boat, nice new rigging and sails, windows, dodger and bimini, custom outboard mount, blowers, fuel tank, compass, VHF, basic navionics, maybe about 300W of solar, a nice battery bank, anchor and chain, new cushions, curtains, all the comforts of home.

There will also be some non negotiable costs like renewing documentation/registration, title change, insurance, etc.

Now if you were to hang an outboard on her and call her a very slow motorboat, you might make a nice little overnighter and fishing machine out of her. A lot of the costs will be in making her into a sailer again. A brand new outboard that will push her around at hull speed won't cost much over $2k, brand new. Batteries for your boat could be as cheap and simple as four 6v golf cart batteries, or 4x as much if you go with LiFePO4.

As it sits, it is not worth $0. It is a liability, even if you throw in a couple hundred for the trailer. You might list her on ebay, no returns, as is / where is, no minimum. If you get a buyer that way, for any bid at all, be happy. Be very happy.

Donating the boat is probably your best bet, if someone will take it. If the trailer is in good shape, you can probably repurpose it into a utility trailer. Or let it go with the boat.
Old 08-02-2023, 13:02   #67

Here in Florida used masts, sails, rigging and hardware needed are plentiful. Prices hover between $500-$1500 for everything on the deck. That will buy parts or a whole salvaged boat that has it all. Can you do that in CA? Dont even consider buying new gear...$1000 mainsail, $1000 genoa, etc. As mentioned already, Bacon is good for used sails but I purchased from them and mint, crispy, new looking sails were 50%
of new. Craigslist here is $150ish ea for good used sales.

Sweat equity and buying used parts are the money savers, so you have to learn it all. On a budget use $10 house porch and deck enamel paint instead of $40 qt marine paint. Learn how to hand swage wire with a $30 SF swage tool. Learn how to sew or buy interior cushions at the lawn and garden section of a big box store. Having new berth cushions made would cost about $400 each where I live..just had some made and that was a low price. Use a camp stove, etc. You get the drift but its doable for $2000-$3000 in my neighborhood with experience and lots of cussing.

Like said already, its cheaper to buy one. Hurleys arent that abundant in the USA so my take is the main reason to retore that one is because you want a Hurley or have a sentimental attachment to it.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat