Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 06:26   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Thanks for all the inputs. In the end it looks like I will design my own. The front will have all part numbers (oil, fuel filters etc...) and the body will have a sheet for each day. My work experience has taught me that if you don't remind people they won't do it- so there will be a pre and post trip check list. For example, open sea cockles, check water and oil(with room to comment if I added some). The post trip would include a reminder to close the seacocks and open a non-essential breakers. While the checklists may become unnecessary after a while, for now they will serve as a good reminder.

I have used "water poof" paper for other projects and may print the sheets in that. Since the sheets are not bound into the binder it may not meet the legal definition of a log, but it will suffice.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:57   #32

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: What Log Book Do You Use

Quote:
While the checklists may become unnecessary after a while, for now they will serve as a good reminder.
..until you forget something vital like making sure your raw water intake is open and clear. Nothing wrong with check lists. I use them all the time in flying and the habit carries over well into sailing--particularly the pre- voyage prep and in securing the boat at the end of the voyage.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14   #33

Boat: Orca 38

I was trained by the military (helicopter pilot), and a major aerospace company about how to make and/or use a variety of lists for various uses.

Once the habit is formed, updating and referral can make you look superhuman to mere mortals, oh, and it'll make your hair shiner too!

Yup.......think I'll just keep doing it for her now..... She'll appreciate it I'm sure.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:19   #34

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
and it'll make your hair shiner too!
...from the light reflecting off one's halo.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:27   #35

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I was trained by the military (helicopter pilot), and a major aerospace company about how to make and/or use a variety of lists for various uses.
Yep, list can be helpful, but I've found it is even better to put reminders right where you need them and can't miss them. For example, there is a note wrapped around the float attached to my ignition key that reminds me to check the water intake. There's a note next to the fixed mount GPS listing the steps to record a waypoint in a MOB situation. There's a list next to the VHF saying what to do in an emergency. There's a note next to the main power switches explaining what they do. I find this better than having to remember to check the check list in the first place.

The problem with the long check list is that after awhile nobody actually reads it--they just check everything off and go ahead. We have one of these at work that people must go through to lock up the building, but I am positive nobody actually reads it anymore because things are checked off that aren't done and some things on the list inevitably don't need to be done every time so they sort of hide the critically important things.
Old 01-04-2012, 13:04   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Although I am not a pilot, I have worked in enough high hazard areas to know the advantage if a checklist. . Even if I don't put a check mark in each box, I still check the safety items. That was the point of my comment, not every checklist needs a check in every box. The list is more of a memory jogger versus a checklist for a confined space entry.

Regarding checking the sea cocks.... Came up with a new spot for my ignition key-- by the sea cock! Shhhhh don't tell anyone though!

Bill

PS: wondered about the key until I realized that anyone who can't hot wire a boat belongs in remedial inner-city Ed...
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 14:49   #37

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

We use an electronic log "Intelligent Logbook", it is pretty good, cheap ($30), and adds quite a few extras such as maintaining maintenance schedules, equipment info (serial #'s and the like), stroing trip info such as way points, etc. It is backed up online automatically when we have wifi, backed up 2x a day to a thuimb drive when out of range. Prints out nicely to be put in a nice 3 ring binder. I found it a bit time consuming to do all the initial setup, if you do it completely, but when done it is great to have a great deal of boat info in one place readily accessible.

We also keep a separate journal that is more a personal recording of our trips rather than a log.

Also, for a pleasure boat, a log is not a "legal" document, but it is evidence that is generally admissible in court if it can be authenticated which means normally that the person preparing it has to testify that it is his and he maintained it in the normal course of operating his vessel. As evidence, it can be given any weight a judge or jury decides to give it. It is not dispositive of anything by itself.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 15:17   #38

Boat: Orca 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
...from the light reflecting off one's halo.
Exactly!

Finally, a woman that understands me.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:30   #39
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

This one seems great
It has instructions
Im using it as a base for my own log
Im going to bind it and maybe get a nice cover to protect it
reprint when one fills up and change the cover
Cruising Log Book | Blueseas
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:43   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I design my own and I spiral bind them as I like to have them lie flat. I was ticked off in France waters for (a) writing in pencil and ( b) using spiral binding as they couldn't see if pages were removed. Other then that the lads were quite nice , if armed to the teeth. They were doing drugs interdiction and tended to board a y yacht on the Atlantic coast out of season. ( delivery)

Speaking of log books , of course all you GMDSS certified radio VHF operators( leisure or commercial) are maintaining your mandatory gmdss radio log. Yes of course you are !!!

Dave
Old 06-04-2012, 08:19   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Speaking of log books , of course all you GMDSS certified radio VHF operators( leisure or commercial) are maintaining your mandatory gmdss radio log. Yes of course you are !!!

Dave
Yes......daily, weekly and monthly entries?...along with...

!. Compass Oservation Log
2. The Chronometer Rate Journal
3. Garbage Record Book
4. Ballast Water Log
5. Daily Sounding Log
6. MPA (Singapore) Official Log Book
7. Chart Correction Log
8. Ships Log (of course)
9. Etc Etc.....I Don't have time to list anymore 'cause i'm sure i have to go fill one out right now.....

If you have ever had a Port State Control spot check, you would know why it's a good idea to keep them up to date.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:31   #42

Boat: Beneteau 393

We like this one:

Bluewater Books & Charts - Deck Log

It is a deck/radio/maintenance/guest log all rolled into one. Works for us.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote