Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 12:04   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: What Paperwork Do I Need to Cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
In Spanish speaking countries ( ie Spain and all of the Americas ( with a few exceptions ) from Cape Horn to central Alberta) the document is the 'zarpe'. In English it is your port clearance.....
That is certainly true in theory . . . but it's funny . . . . it was called (in actual practice by the official behind the counter) a zarpe most places we cleared - including french islands and South Africa. Perhaps it was just the particular guys we dealt with, but it was pretty constant over all our cruising.

But does not matter, they just want to see it . . . it sort of shows that you left last port in good standing and are not running from the law or huge unpaid bills.

I used to have a big stack of French blank ones which they left out on the counter in Deshaies
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:23   #17

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
That is certainly true in theory . . . but it's funny . . . . it was called (in actual practice by the official behind the counter) a zarpe most places we cleared - including french islands and South Africa. Perhaps it was just the particular guys we dealt with, but it was pretty constant over all our cruising.
Same same 'pratique' which to the best of my knowledge is used globaly...
Old 06-06-2017, 13:19   #18

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

We had a boat last fall that sailed into Bar Harbor, Maine, ostensibly from somewhere int the Caribbean and then to Canada and then to the USA. The did not have a information for the places that they said they had left. The boat was immediately impounded by the USCG for possible drug smuggling. Later(about a month) it was released when it was finally determined that the owners were just too dumb to realize that they needed documentation of where they had been.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 14:03   #19

Boat: Lagoon TPI

Surprised no one mentioned the most important papers,,,,,,, paper money and plenty of it !
old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 15:54   #20

Boat: Currently boatless

Where we went (only in the Pacific) we were asked for only our boat docs, clearance from last port, and passport in most countries. We didn't have a printer or copier aboard and simply carried lots of copies including blank crew lists. In the few instances where a copy of something else was needed, we asked where we could buy one and they sent us somewhere we could.

I don't remember being asked for a boating competency cert (which we needed in Canada of course) or a radio cert anywhere we visited although we carried them.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 16:17   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Where we went (only in the Pacific) we were asked for only our boat docs, clearance from last port, and passport in most countries. We didn't have a printer or copier aboard and simply carried lots of copies including blank crew lists. In the few instances where a copy of something else was needed, we asked where we could buy one and they sent us somewhere we could......
In my experince in recent years if they want a copy they take a copy .. in their office.. on their photocopier..

That said I carry a few p/copies of passports and ship's papers... haven't bothered with an on board printer since my old Canon BJ-80(?) died about 10 years ago..
Old 06-06-2017, 16:33   #22

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

A good set of Admiralty charts, me hearty.
Read Joshua Slocomb's book. Don't take a goat on deck.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 16:50   #23

Boat: Albin Vega

Wow! Thanks for the help everyone. This all seems pretty easy to come by. I was worried I'd need much more.
KetoNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 17:05   #24
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Noonsite has a fairly good summary as well as details of the requirements for many specific countries:

Documents required & other considerations when cruising abroad —
Thanks, StuM.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise