Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2012, 14:55   #16

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Re: What Sailboat Do You Have ?

I went large and it turned into a bit of a project.. Go small go now, its true!
Old 15-02-2012, 15:46   #17

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I have a buddy who has a buddy. They started out both going in on a $1200 20' racing boat a couple of years ago. Had loads of fun on it at the nearby club races. Now they've sold that and have each bought (for about $2000, I think) their own 22' racing boats. They regularly smoke the competition. I think they may have spent more on fancy sails than on the boats.

I spent very, very little for my 30' blue-water cruiser and have so far sailed it to the Bahamas and Maine on my summer breaks. Have another buddy who bought a 27' cruiser for $50. Just heard he picked up a 30 footer for a song and basically gave his old boat away to someone else. There's a young guy posting on this forum who just sailed over to the Bahamas in a very low-cost sailboat on a "micro-budget" and seems to be having fun.

At this particular point in time, sailing is a very affordable sport for those who have ingenuity and are willing to work on a boat to get it up to speed. You should be realistic about the time and material costs (not to mention dockage costs) to fix up and maintain one of these lovelorn babies. But if you keep it small and reasonable, there's no reason you can't hit the water now. Too many boaters are giving up on their boats in the Great Recession. We need folks who are willing to roll up their sleeves and get some of them back in action!
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 16:34   #18

Interesting question and you'll get a range of answers. I've only own one boat. I got into sailing at about 37 yrs old when a friend with a 31 footer asked me to be a partner with him on a 48 footer. I knew nothing but liked the idea and went out and took a 3 day course and read everything I could back in 85.... Then he backed out of the deal and I decided to buy a boat and the broker sold me the boat I now have a 36' Contest. It turned out to be a super boat and I think I lucked out and never went through the moving up in size process.

I'd perhaps be OK with a 40 - 42 footer, but my 36 is as big below as many 6 feet longer. It all depends. 26 yrs with one boat and you get to know it very well and there's something to be said for that.

The features I like are (not in order of importance)

Larger protected/dry aft cockpit (good visibility)
large U shaped galley - well layed out at companionway
large sit at nav station at companionway facing forward
aft cabin - can sleep double fore/aft or athwartship
fractional rig
flush deck / high freeboard
lots of headroom
lots of stowage
varnish teak interior / gelcoated headliner, quality hardware and finish
instrument dash above companionway
entire head is shower/floor drain
strong hull/deck joint
cored hull
flanged keel
fully skegged rudder
large isolated anchor / chain locker
oversized standing rigging
CL bow roller
slotted toe rail.
wood rubstrake w/ stainless trim
B&G instruments (still working after 26 yrs)
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 16:36   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

formosa 41 which i am cruising, and a 1979 ericson 35mII in a mooring in sd.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 00:39   #20

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch
Just closed a purchase on an S&S 34 in great condition very happy man !
Mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 00:50   #21

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

These guys: PESTILENCE: Low Budget Guerrilla Cruise
Just shows you don't need much to have a good time. They have videos on Youtube somewhere showing some of their travels. I'm moving back to the US soon asd will start looking for my first sailboat.
Good luck!

Found video:
http://vimeo.com/15351476
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 08:35   #22
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

I have a Beneteau 432 (similar to Oceanis 430). I recently purchsed in the mid $50s. Its a great boat and the market is great if you are buying. I chose this boat for cruising the Caribbean and its the right size for me to do so safely and comfortably.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 16:36   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Fiberglass sloop, aft cockpit, diesel engine from 32-36 feet. Buy one that's been well taken care of and in sailable condition with only cosmetics or easy repairs to make and don't buy before you have had a survey done on the boat. There are certain brands to avoid so post what you are looking at so that folks who have owned those boats can comment.
Good luck.
kind regards,
Old 16-02-2012, 16:52   #24

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Errrr ummm a junk rigged walker bay aft cabin.... yeah yeah thats it......
Old 16-02-2012, 17:05   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

One word sticks out in my mind about Sailboats OPTIONS,an all around boat that you can enjoy daysailing on the inland waters,crusing the Bahamas in good weather overnighters,and just hanging out on at dockside,I,have had aC&C 36 for 20 years that did all these things.IMHO not built for passage making,so reluctlantly now for sale.I,hope my new Cabo wil be as versitle,I,know it is better suited for Off shore passages.Good Luck
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 17:20   #26

There are some very nice 23 foot coastal cruisers that are comfortable for two people ...... you can pick up a used one under $5000........
>>>>You need to buy a trailerable boat because <<<<

the initial cost of the boat is only a small part of your expense.... boats are holes in the water into which you pour money.......

marina slip spaces are seven dollars a foot here, ....... manditory insurance several hundred dollars a month.......

bouys you rent in anchorages are $250 a month ......you.still must have insurance

if you live in a northern area and must haul the boat over the winter because of the ICE think a coupple thousand for hauling in and out and winter storage

As Vanderbuilt said 100 years ago, if you have to ask (($$$)), you cant afford a boat........
Lewis Brackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 18:02   #27

Boat: Mao Ta 38
When I started looking for a boat I wanted a boat I could live on comfortably, sail around the world on and was beautiful. I was also looking for something in the 35-45 foot range mainly due to price. After looking for several months and after 1 failed offer I found her. Mao ta 38 which is the stepchild of the Hans Christian. Great story behind her. She is very solid, built to sail around the world and was cheap due to the previous owner getting married and having a child. She also has enough projects that keep me busy as I like working on her.
Sovereigndreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 18:16   #28

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

I after much searching and researching found my Centaur for 1k. Needed nothing but bottompaint. I did redo cutlass (it was worn but would have gone several more years, and stuffing box tube (safety, who knows when that was last done, but is a pita.)
Deals can be had.
Mooring fees can be pre negotiated or lowered if paid in full.
Do the work yourself, it really doesnt take long if you commit and live on or close to the boat.

Now why the Centaur.
Huge inside w 6' head room.
full head
lots of berths 2 dbl 2 singles
shallow draft 3'
Bilge Keeler (can dry it out for bottom maint. in future)
Safe blue water capable boat built to Loyds spec that feels very solid in heavy wind.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 19:44   #29

Boat: Edel Center cockpit 820
You are so right Dwayne once it's in your blood it's there for life
My present boat is a French boat ( built in Canada ) 28 ft Edel center cockpit 1981.
I picked this boat up because of its layout and sailing capabilities , the aft cabin is just two single berths but great for my 15 and 17 year old , has a nice wrap around settee, very good galley set up and full size head, Volvo diesel engine ,the v berth is a little tight but ok for my size
This boat usually sells for between $15,000 and $18,000 I picked mine up for $10,500 ( I think they were in the middle of a divorce )
you will know what boat you want when you see it ( that's how it is for me anyway)
Don't be afraid to make low ball offers either, you will be amazed at how low some people will sell for
My last boat was a 27 ft Mirage that had been sitting in storage for five years, I paid $3,500 for it gave it some tlc ( didn't have to spend much on it) sold it a year later for $14,000
I guess my advice would be when your ready to buy actually drive to marinas and walk around and ask people, sometimes the good ones aren't advertised for sale
Hope this helps, good luck

Pat
Georgianbaysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 19:50   #30

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbaysail View Post
I guess my advice would be when your ready to buy actually drive to marinas and walk around and ask people, sometimes the good ones aren't advertised for sale
Hope this helps, good luck

Pat

Great advise!! Best deals are lurking in a corner.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat