Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 20:36   #46
TEE

Re: What sailboat to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
You had a Shannon. Buy another Shannon.
Been there with one Shannon. Without going into details, don't want to go that route again. A number of people have made comments about why would somebody with 20 years of experience sailing ask the question. Well, I am looking for a new boat and wanted some constructive opinions. My favorite boats the Cape Dory, the Pearson, Valient, Westsail, etc have all gone out of business. So, I was mainly curious as to whether somebody had actually bought a new cruising sailboat and been thrilled with it.

I will give you an opinions. The Shannons being built today and for the past few years are definitely not your daddy's Shannons.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 20:38   #47
TEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Pacific Seacraft,as if you didnt know!
Before they went broke they made a good boat. I don't have any idea about the quality of the new company in North Carolina, or even if they are in business.
Old 01-02-2013, 20:42   #48
TEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
There seems to be a new twist this time. A guy claiming to have sailed for 20 years wants to know what boat to buy.

How likely is that?
I was asking for some constructive opinions, perhaps from someone who had actually bought a new boat. Most of the companies that historically built reliable boats have gone out of business, and I have been unimpressed with most of the newer boats I have sailed expect for the Hylas. Sarcasm is not a constructive answer to a legitimate question.
Old 01-02-2013, 20:50   #49
TEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post
Being that you are an experienced sailor I would suggest you take a good look at the new boats being built in Europe. Europe has a booming market in new blue water cruising boats all of them so far advanced from boats like we have sailed for years. Most of them are under 1 million dollars.
We went from a Mason 44 to the Boreal 44 which is an expedition style blue water boat. Aluminum, centerboard design made for extreme sailing. Bienvenue chez Boreal There are many well made aluminum made boats out there that sail fast, go to places you can't get to in most older designed Water boats">blue water boats, are very easy maintenance and sea worthy. There are also many composite boats built in Europe that are stable, fast and still sea kindly. Be cautious of the HR's as they are still a good boat but some of their newer models do not have good storage lockers for all your fenders, sail bags, etc. they have made them more for coastal cruising now.

It is sad we do not have strong N. American boat building companies any more, anyway for what it sounds like you are looking for.

Good Luck and take a look toward Europe.
Thanks. I actually did attend the South Hampton boat show in England last year and was impressed with the Amel and CNB Bordeaux 60. I was trying to see if anybody might have an opinion on an American built boat, but like most things, it looks like we don't have any reasonably priced boats that would meet my expectations in the US. We still have a few fine boat builders, but the boats are custom built and in the US they cost a lot more than the same quality foreign built. That, with the exception of Oysters which are way too expensive in my opinion.
Old 01-02-2013, 20:55   #50
TEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Welcome aboard!
There are a lot of quality yachts under a million dollars in price and they might be used.
kind regards,
Yeah, but I just went through a rather rough ordeal keeping my last used boat running. I would like to make this next boat my last boat and buy new because it will probably be the last sail boat I will ever own, age, health and time are starting to take a toll on me. I want to buy new if I can find something affordable because I would like to have some brief interlude between buying and having to constantly be repairing things that break. If I don't find the right new boat, I guess I will get back in the used boat mode, or simply have a nautical yard sail and get rid of all the boat stuff I have accumulated.
Old 01-02-2013, 20:58   #51
TEE

Re: What Sailboat to Buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling View Post
The old salts on the forum might shake their head on this, but if I had the funds to go new ( under a mil) ..... I am going to take that new Seaward 46 for a spin. If that doesn't fit I am going with the IP or Blue Jacket.

The blue jacket is one I have on my considerations list. Good designers and builder to back it up. Should be a quality product. I am looking for a boat show where I can actually get on one to see what they have done.
Old 01-02-2013, 21:05   #52

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Another thought if you want something American made and semi-custom (pardon me if they have already been mentioned) there is the Navy 44 MkII and the USCG Leadership 44. Both can be outfitted for cruisers ... so I've been told.

Awesome boats! Got to go aboard both when they were at the Annapolis Boat Shows. Definitely well made.
Old 01-02-2013, 21:09   #53
TEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyh View Post
Tee, name all these Cruising boats you have owned.
At various times, I have owned the following:

A 36' Cape Dory cutter rigged sloop

A 18.6' Cape Dory Typhoon sloop

A 35' Bristol sloop

A Laser

A 323 Pearson sloop

A 30' Catalina

A 37' Pacific Seacraft built Crealock Canoe Stern Cutter rigged Sloop

A Moorings 32' sloop

A Shannon 43 Pilot house Scutter rigged sloop

A Marc Lombard Designed French built custom Open 60

So, at various times, I have had various opinions about what I want. I had the Shannon down in the carribean for four years and sold it rather than do a refit. It was a safe reliable, but slow boat, and was eleven years old when it was sold.

Of all of the above, for cruising, I liked the Crealock 37 the best. It was simple, it was reliable, it was safe. The problem with it was solely, it was too small, otherwise I would probably still be owning it.
Old 01-02-2013, 21:16   #54
TEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Tee

Hmmm - lets see - sailing over 20 years and owned several cruising boats, had a Shannon, sold it a few months ago (in the fall I assume?) and you are at loss with whats out there? Like - you don't know?

Whats going on? This does not sound right.

I would question if there was a Shannon...
I am not stupid. I know what is out there. I was asking if anybody actually knew if anything is being quality built that doesn't cost a fortune. I would prefer a US built boat, but it looks like what I am looking for want be found here because it seems that nearly all of the quality US builds are custom boats. I had expected to hear something from some Island Packet owners, or from somebody who might have bought a Pacific Seacraft from the new company, but I don't know if the new Pacific Seacraft is even in business. I have been trying to avoid going to Taiwan or Europe to find what I'm looking for any merely wanted sugggestions.
Old 01-02-2013, 21:30   #55

Boat: Newport 28 II
Did I read stevewyres post correctly,you dont get a furler on a new one million doller yatcht. Like o said befor,,new boats are junk.
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 21:48   #56

Boat: Newport 28 II
Tee, a laser and a catalina 30? Cruising boats? I guess my Ericson 27 was a crusing boat....cool.
tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 18:54   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I disagree, most boats are not designed to go offshore, that doesn't make them junk, it makes them designed for a different purpose.
So true,Hunter makes a fine boat for its intent,like wise PSC makes a fine boat for its..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 06:38   #58

Send a message via Yahoo to tspeed

It is not a American company but can check out the Allures line of boats. I bought new from them and the experience was wonderful. They addressed every need and concern I had during the build process, they even made changes to the layout so I got a new boat that was exactly how I had envisioned. Now I will say it was not much under a million but I choose the 51 they had, they have a 45 that is around 250 cheaper and comes around 750 completely fitted out to your specs for equipment. I am not sure about any American builders that I came across when I was searching for my new boat that has the quality fit and finish that is worth it. I spent over a year looking trying to keep with a American builder. I just could not find one. Before someone says why didnt I save money and just buy used, I just did not find any used boats out there that I liked or was willing to put in the time to refit to a standard that I would of wished for. Good luck with your search
tspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 07:16   #59

Boat: gozzard 44

Tee,

Pacific Seacraft is still building...at least a Bob Perry designed 62' is in the works for an Annapolis client. Well over 1 mil, though.

Outbound 46 and 52 are fine sea boats - though not built in the US.
Since you say you liked the Crealock look at the Gozzard 44.
The hull was completely redesigned in 2001 for better performance and the interior can be had with a traditional layout. Gozzard is still building boats. A redesigned 31' for a repeat customer is due to be completed in the Spring.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 07:34   #60
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

out in this world there is a sailboat for every kind of need and use.
you must sail many to find the right one, unless you are very fortunate to find that one on first try...
good luck and happy hunting.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat