Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2020, 13:01   #16

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: What sailboat would you recommend? 50k budget

That would be a boat well worth stretching that 50k budget for as long as it has no major issues - like somebody ran it into the harbor wall and now the bulkheads are floating.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 13:01   #17

Boat: Tartan 37C

Ahoy, come and take a look at my Tartan 37C in Bayshore. These Tartans are really good boats.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 13:10   #18

Consider a CS 36 Traditional, actually 37 feet long. Well built, nice layout, good passage maker.
Consider a Niagara 35 nicely built, good layout for a cruiser and decent passage maker.
Consider a Tartan 37, nicely built, good traditional layout and a good passage maker.

These boats can be picked up in your budget. They all have lead keels, sail well and especially in light air. They are easily handled by a single hander or a couple and have been tested in open ocean sailing.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 13:39   #19

Check out Notrevoyage. In PR which gives you immediate access to the Eastern Caribbean. PM me if interested.

Listing
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/83824

Video
https://youtu.be/G-nilO2wxCM

More photos
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rpbjdytnc7loaby/AAA8ot8nCa8lCcFRaF_C8bbwa?dl=0

New engine mounts, oil seals and drive anode.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/scouw0dfy9v1vdm/AADzQqOLidJ62cQG3GoTJb-Ya?dl=0

Our blog
leeandpeter.com
NotreVoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 13:49   #20

Our boat is a Tradewind 34, launched in 1980. Based on your posting she would be a good fit for you. She is a Canadian designed and built long keel. The design was also built as the True North 34: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/true-north-34 She is fully equiped for offshore cruising and seriously for sale, in Almerimar, Spain at €34,900. Our cruising adventures are detailed at svpassatii.blogspot.com If you are interested I will send you further details.

Good luck with your search.

Barrie
Barrie Letts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 15:03   #21

Boat: Pearson

With your budget and a fixer, as all boats are in your price range, boats in the 80 s beneteu, morgans, endeavor, pearson. C&c,bristol, hunter,Irwin would be a start of big production boats. I did not list in any order just ones to consider. Get a good survey.
Old 04-11-2020, 17:20   #22

Boat: Hunter 46

ShipOfFools.............hate to say it but your budget is not realistic for what you want. 11 years ago I purchased a 1987 Hunter 31 sailboat and spent at least $15,000 after I purchased the boat for bottom paint, repairs, new sails and upgrades above the purchase price, survey and 10% sales tax. 2 years ago I purchased a 2005 Hunter 46 sailboat and by the time I got it out of the boat yard with new bottom paint and other repairs from the survey, then upgrades and new canvas I spent nearly $25,000 - 30,000 above the purchase price, survey and 10% sales tax. Just purchased a 1984 Symbol 44 Sundeck and by the time I got it out of the boat yard with new bottom paint, interior floor covering, some repairs from the survey I spent nearly $26,000 above the purchase price, survey and 10% sales tax and planning another $20,000 to replace canvas and make other repairs. My point is used boats are very tired and will need a lot of expense and that is above insurance and monthly berthing fees.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 18:03   #23

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
ShipOfFools.............hate to say it but your budget is not realistic for what you want. 11 years ago I purchased a 1987 Hunter 31 sailboat and spent at least $15,000 after I purchased the boat for bottom paint, repairs, new sails and upgrades above the purchase price, survey and 10% sales tax. 2 years ago I purchased a 2005 Hunter 46 sailboat and by the time I got it out of the boat yard with new bottom paint and other repairs from the survey, then upgrades and new canvas I spent nearly $25,000 - 30,000 above the purchase price, survey and 10% sales tax. Just purchased a 1984 Symbol 44 Sundeck and by the time I got it out of the boat yard with new bottom paint, interior floor covering, some repairs from the survey I spent nearly $26,000 above the purchase price, survey and 10% sales tax and planning another $20,000 to replace canvas and make other repairs. My point is used boats are very tired and will need a lot of expense and that is above insurance and monthly berthing fees.
Ill take this into account, im sure the CA prices are about twice what they are in the countries of Croatia, Bulgaria, etc, I may be able to "fudge" some of the costs, for example paint the boat myself, of course ill have to pay to have it lifted out. Second perhaps i could buy used sails instead of new. Taxes on a boat, registration, insurance? Ill have to check these... let me check Croatia its actually 5% VAT or tax.... and checked the cost of a slip, its 3500 to 4000 euro if you pay annually, so thats about 350 a month for rent of the slip. Thats for 10 meters so if it slightly longer then it might be a bit more.
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 21:44   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Anthony View Post
Ahoy, come and take a look at my Tartan 37C in Bayshore. These Tartans are really good boats.
Thanks for the invitation. I would love to, unfortunately I moved from Brooklyn, NY to southeast Asia, but I plan on going to the Mediterranean after the CV virus border restrictions clear up.
Old 04-11-2020, 22:07   #25

Just adding a few expenses here for my own benefit via some research and these are ballpark only. For the country of Montenegro a sales tax for used boats is 5% which for example a 30k boat that is 30 feet long is $1500 usd. Maintenance cost is estimated to be 10% or for example $3,000. Insurance would be 1.5% of value which would be $450. Boat slip is $350 a month paid annually. So thats $637 for those expenses, plus shore power, plus Wifi if its not free at the complex or wireless service that i can use just as if i was in an apartment.
Old 04-11-2020, 22:09   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

I suggest you take out a subscription to the UK's Yachting Monthly. They include in every edition a list of choices in yr proposed price bracket and some months in higher brackets.

I bought a 2004 Jeanneau 43ds 5 yrs ago but even a boat of this vintage will need electronics upgrades, new sails (i still have my old ones if you want to buy them) , maybe new chain & anchor, pumps, lights, plus solar if you wish to add it. New tender if the old one is falling apart, new sprayhood & bimini. . All that would be additional costs of $40-50,000
I strongly suggest you stay away frm ex-charter boats of which there are many. A lot of wear and badly treated.
Double yr budget and you might get what you want.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:58   #27

Boat: Atkins,Island Princess. 37ft

I have the boat for you, within your budget and well placed in Ireland ready to explore the Mediteranean. She is an Atkins designed Schooner 37ft built in aluminium, will last a lifetime. The accomodation may be a little less than your requirements, but I expect you can make compromises. with the small sail areas of the schooner rig it is easily handled singlehanded. If interested PM me for full details. (northabout@gmail.com)
Maclir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:26   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

remember this wise adage...

B.O.A.T. = bring on another thousand..

as a newbie sailor, you WILL benefit from having a boat properly surveyed pre-buying it...as you will be seeing the boat with rose colored glasses and any good surveyor will (hopefully) see beyond the glitz and the glitter...

boats eat money....wave a $100 bill in front of boat....chomp...munch...burp....gone...in a blink of an eye...

as above posters have suggested....what ever price you buy a boat for...expect to pay another 50% to " fix 'er up"....and that's just the start....

good luck....have fun....
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:06   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

while I'm at it...I suggest you look into the hard costs of getting a boat hauled out of the water.... getting it washed, scrubbed and cleaned, new bottom paint, brushes, zincs....yard storage fees....and all the other " stuff" that goes along with a haulout...none of these $$ goes towards the purchase price of your boat..

you'll likely want to change the engine oil..filters....etc...

and you'll be in a yard...maybe not close to any stores, etc...you'll need transportation...a place to get cleaned up, a bathroom...etc...

and in closing you'll not be the first person I know that was looking for a "cheap" boat, only to discover to your horror why it was " cheap"....

remember this too...there will come a time when you'll want to sell the boat...your $50K boat might only be worth $20K at that time....and you might be lucky to sell it any price....

I went down this road myself....I ended up building my first boat....a learning lesson in real world boat costs...

but, I admire any person wanting to pursue this lifestyle..especially singlehanded...it's not as easy as you think....

think carefully about the things you have hopefully learned here...keep the dream alive, but temper your aspirations with a dose of reality...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:31   #30

Boat: Sailboat 51'

I'll sell you my starter boat for half of your budget. It's not a fixer upper and meets some of your criteria.

But, it's on the pacific coast of Mexico. Simple sail plan and very easy to sail single handed. Includes 2 autopilots and a monitor wind vane.
Sleeps 5 if needed, repowered with a Yanmar 3GN ~1400 hrs.
A lot of extras and upgrades in the last couple of years. And I'll even throw in a brand new (in box) B&G Zeus 3 and 3G radar that I picked up for it.

Boat is 1969 Cal 34.

If this temps you, you can PM me for pic's and details.

-Ken
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, budget, men, sail, sailboat