Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2020, 15:20   #61

Re: What sailboat would you recommend? 50k budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
if you are not VAT registered , its technically illegal for a company , ie the charter company to sell you the boat physically in greece ex-VAT. They would remain liable for greek VAT even after the sale

The boat would have to be delivered to malta by the owners and the deal done there, ( there is a somewhat complex method whereby you can do this yourself )

Note that VAT law states that the buyer must pay the VAT in the originating country and then when evidence of VAT is paid in the receiving country , then the seller refunds the VAT. The UK has ( had) a scheme called the sailaway scheme that allowed you 30 days to remove the boat . However I dont believe greece every operated such a scheme ( see VAT on new-means-of-transport)

whether all that hassle is worth 6% VAT difference on a boat is up to you

NOTE , if you are not EU established that you can buy a VAT not paid boat in teh EU quite legally , and you can available of the TIR provisions to get 18 months sailing, with one-day VAT clock reset , effectively remaining VAT not paid indefinitely ( in theory you are supposed to export it and reenter to avail of TIR (
Thanks GBN
, I live in Northern Ireland, but am an Irish passport holder, I wanted to buy this year but because of Covid travel restrictions and uncertainty around Brexit, Ive decided to hold off, sort of torn between a boat already vat registered and tempted by some of the later model charter boats coming available that aren't, if there is some sort of work around, Id be interested to try it.
carraigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 13:44   #62
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

As an Irish passport holder I would advise against buying anything vat not paid.
Old 16-11-2020, 13:47   #63
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Here's a few requirements...

cost: 20,000 to 50,000 USD used price... can be more $ for extras

live aboard convenience ... must have...

length 30 to 45 feet... below 45' is a must

need ability to sail this on my own...must have

sailboat but with inboard or outboard motor with plenty of gas...nice to have

Europe, Mediterranean... ill be buying this here... must have....

blue water/ocean cruiser/circumnavigation... nice to have

stylish interior and exterior... nice to have

age... from 1980 to 2005... nice to have

fixer upper.... im fine doing boat maintenance as im basically retired..

What manufacturer and model would you recommend? thanks i have no problem buying a fixer upper and putting elbow greese into fixing it as im basically going to be a live aboard and consider myself a hard worker. A few other minor requirements, ill be in a port in the Mediterranean so ill be looking to buy it over there, and obviously not in the USA.

I may have guests, so ill need sleeping quarters for myself plus at least a few other people, at least, perhaps as many as 5. Sometimes ill prefer to sail the boat alone, so it will need to be small enough for me to sail by myself. For the price id shoot for something in the 20 to 50k range, but if extras were another 10k, thats also fine. Thanks for your advice. ShipOfFools.

Well a nice 2004 Bavaria 36 , went for 39k euros , pristine interior never chartered. Good solar Bimini , modern electronics

Good plain med boat

Tags
boat, budget, men, sail, sailboat