Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2013, 08:33   #1

What sucks about a Cheoy Lee Rhodes Reliant 41?

So bring me back down to earth. I've fallen in love with the Rhodes Reliant 41 design, and I'm seeing nothing but how great they can look, but gimme reality... Are they slow? Hard to single hand? Cramped? Crappy? Maintenance? What sucks about these boats?
Max Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 08:45   #2
Eternal Member

Re: What sucks about a Cheoy Lee Rhodes Reliant 41?

The Rhodes Reliant was my dream boat for many years, since I first boarded one in 1965. Visited the yard in Hong Kong several times, talked to Phil Rhodes in his New York office before he died, etc., etc. Love that boat.

The design is fantastic! Phil Rhodes never designed a slow or mal-behaved boat so, yes, it has excellent sailing characteristics.

It is not "slow", "cramped", "crappy", or "hard to singlehand". It was a very well built boat in its time, and one of the first big fiberglass production boats. Maintenance will certainly be an issue, though, both because of some construction features and, especially, all the teak.

There are lots of potential problems, but if you can find one which has been well-maintained it might be a good boat for you.

You'd be well served by visiting the Cheoy Lee Owners Association website...just Google it.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 08:48   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

No first hand knowledge, just what I "learned" during boat hunting and research.

For the CLs be aware of: deck problems and coring for any boat that had teak deck, stainless steel issues especially with chainplates, black iron tank issues

of course you are talking a pretty old boat and all problems may have be corrected, or made worst
Old 22-03-2013, 09:05   #4

Cheap rotting plywood that should never have been put in a boat, especially such a beauty is what sucks!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 09:17   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Go to the Reliant website, managed by Ben Stavis. Loads of info in much detail. Owned mine since 1994. Hull # 1583 launched July 1965. Gutted mine to an empty hull, and started again. Outsails all contemporaries, and lots of newer boats. Previous owners did Charlotte Amalie to St. Georges Bermuda 5days 4 hours. Not bad for 28 ft W/Line
Old 22-03-2013, 10:12   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sail View Post
So bring me back down to earth. I've fallen in love with the Rhodes Reliant 41 design, and I'm seeing nothing but how great they can look, but gimme reality... Are they slow? Hard to single hand? Cramped? Crappy? Maintenance? What sucks about these boats?
We sailed a 1963 Reliant for 4 years and while she was a beautiful looking boat, and fit my idea of what a yacht should look like-at the time-I must say I am glad we moved one when we did. The maintenance requirements were terrific and required someone devoted to varnish. The yacht was a very sea kindly boat but was slow--IMHO--as she only has a 28' water line and, in good winds, averaged roughly 5 knots, but could do so comfortably for extended periods. Still if one has the patience and the willingness to do the maintenance, it is a good boat.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 17:14   #7

Thanks for input. Yes, have been in contact with Ben. Amazing amounts of great info!
Max Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 08:08   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

I spent a lot of time on a Rhodes Reliant in my youth. Back then, it was considered a fairly advanced boat and there is no doubt that it is one of the most beautiful boats ever designed. They still take my breath away when I see them now and then.

They are cramped, dark, slow, and high maintenance, compared to newer boats but so is every boat of that era. You pay a price for those elegant lovely lines and all that wood. I think they are also rather high-priced for what you get simply because they are highly sought after. It all comes down to what your priorities and values are. If you are willing to make the compromises that an older boat requires in exchange for the satisfactions of owning and sailing one, then go for it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 14:29   #9

The doorknobs.....I've worked her , reworked her and am working again on her. If you like to work on your boat she is easy to work with!!! Realize the boats are a good 40 years old or more and that means like an antique car you will need to refurbish everything on her to make her like a new car. Believe me I have a car that is just as old and looks like showroom new, it did not just get that way without work. It takes time and is affordable if you take your time. THe toughest job is lying upside down working on the stuffing box. After 23 years I still love to sail her and enjoy a day of working on her. Nothing sounds better then the slight slap of a halyard against a wooden mast ( think loud sound of an aluminum stick). In boating not much is more beautiful then solid deep looking teak wood. If you are a minimalist then this is not the boat for you. She rides the waves better then the best. She is quiet and solid. She may be slow compared to most others but are you in a rush. I am a cruiser and not a racer. I went on a small fast cat the other day and realized it was not for me. To many sheets, to much to do and worrying that the boat would crash in a moments notice. So for cruising she is one of the best sailing vessels you can find. Should you decide to own one and restore one it is a labor of love. And yes I love my boat!
sailorguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 15:14   #10

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Won't get a bad word outta me!! These are boats made to be fallen in love with

Get good survey, be realistic about maintenance, go find your dream boat
Old 06-09-2013, 16:44   #11

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Last Monday, Labour Day in Bermuda, A beautiful Flag Blue Hinckley Bermuda 40 sailed up alongside side us, and the helmsman said his boat was in love with Bluestocking. I told him that Blue is not an "easy touch", show the dowry. We laughed, mutually raised glasses as he sailed by. Thats what 50 yr old CCA boats are all about.
Old 06-09-2013, 17:09   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

beautiful boats that sail well and looook awesome.

yeah you will have maintenance issues but it is a boat---all boats have maintenance issues. even when owners say they dont....lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 17:55   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, when you go to look at the boat if the varnish work and offset companionway don't turn you off, do check the cockpit lockers. Friends with an Offshore 40 were almost sunk in a big storm because so much water came straight into the boat from them. It is an issue that can be addressed, just needs doing before going to see. In that storm, it seems to me, IIRC, that the wheel pedestal also leaked, a relatively simple repair to do.
Old 25-07-2019, 16:15   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

I have never seen a more pretty shear line than on a Philip L. Rhodes designed boat. Probably why I have one.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 16:21   #15

Boat: Baba 35

They sure are pretty.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle