Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 05:22   #1

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26
What to buy? 36ft Cruiser / North America

I’m toying with the idea of buying a boat in canada, the us or mexico. Being from germany I have no clue about the makes and models in that market but I would love to dig into that. I’d really appreciate if you could point me to some models which are renowned for being stout cruising vessels as a starting point.

Here is what I’m looking for:

31ft-36ft (ish) Cruiser
  • Monohull, GRP or Steel. (Would love aluminum but too pricy)
  • Sloop or Cutter Rig, preferably simple rig
  • Strong rudder construction: skeg or stronger
  • No known tendencies to loose keels (like some bavaria's for example) or other devastating design flaws.
  • Headroom for a 187cm / 6ft 2in Person
  • Tiller steering (or easily removeable wheel)
  • 70th or 80th model, the era where stuff was build to last. Anything newer is probably too expensive as well.
  • Able to claw off a lee shore under sail. I’m willing to give up speed and windward performance for space but this is also a safety thing.
  • Good for single handing (I know this is somewhat about personal preference and modding but I’d like to mention it anyways).
  • Budget is sort of flexible, let’s say 30k USD as a ballpark figure. I’d prefer spending some time fixing things instead of saving money for another year.

Thanks a lot!

Andi
_andi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: What to buy? 36ft Cruiser / North America

Used Sailboat Models in Central Canada 30' to 42' LOA (9.2m to 12.9m)
Sailboats in Canada - 30' to 42' models

The price ranges (Canadian $) given were realistic (as of 2001), but they were in the low end of the spectrum.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:10   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

30k is not heaps if you want a 30'+ boat. Most decent 32 -36 footers ask for 50k upwards.

From say 20k upwards you can get say an OE32. One may tick nearly all your boxes. I am not sure though about their cabin height. I am 181 and there still some margin.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:15   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

BTW It makes HUGE sense to save more and buy a quality clean target boat up first. Do not buy anything where 'you will spend some time fixing things'. Unless you are into fixing things, not into sailing.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What to buy? 36ft Cruiser / North America

Sailboat Listings | La Paz Yachts

A small Mexico selection..
And.. we have a knowledgeable CF member based down there.. if you asked nicely she'd likely check something out in her location for you.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:39   #6

Not a very well known make and model, except here in New England. But I believe it fits all of the criteria you listed. Very easy access to steering system from a cockpit lazarette hatch. 6'6" headroom in the salon. 110gal water tanks, 40gal fuel. All tankage is easily expanded if needed. Just look for the usual suspects if the boat is neglected. But even then it has a lot of residual toughness. ANd this one being from Maine is probably in above average shape as the seasons here are like yours - 3-4 months, may be 5 max.

1979 Mariner 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
BTW It makes HUGE sense to save more and buy a quality clean target boat up first. Do not buy anything where 'you will spend some time fixing things'. Unless you are into fixing things, not into sailing.

Cheers,
b.
As someone who is "more into fixing things than sailing" I'll disagree. The reason being - if the boat is the right one in all other aspects it makes sense to fix something (even major) once and have your perfect boat for the remainder of its useful life. On the other hand buying a boat solely on its good condition but which is not perfect for you in all other aspects will lead to you eventually wanting to get that perfect boat which in turn will involve losing a shirt on selling the 1st boat and paying again through the nose for that eventually "perfect" one.

The 28 footer I got for Florida use was precisely like that - perfect for my intended use but alas, with a shod engine. Considering $1,500 purchase price (which included virtually brand new set of 3 sails, recent electronics, nice cushions, etc) I went ahead and got a used Yanmar ($750), parts (mixing elbow at $140 and an oil pipe for $10) and a boatyard guy wages to get the old Universal out, get the Yanmar in, etc. ($600) plus my own 3-5 days worth of work (mostly cutting and re-glassing engine mounts, otherwise it would be 1 day of my work). Voila - for $3K I have the perfect boat for my goals and wants. If I had to find such boat with good engine, new sails, good cushions, etc. I would have to a) spend more time looking then I spent working on it, b) still pay between at least $5K and $10K, and c) there would still be no guarantee that the other "good" boat would not spring a surprise or two on me.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:15   #8

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Challenger 32/35/40......lots of headroom, really solid, classic look.
Bill (6'2" and lots of room)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
I’m toying with the idea of buying a boat in canada, the us or mexico. Being from germany I have no clue about the makes and models in that market but I would love to dig into that. I’d really appreciate if you could point me to some models which are renowned for being stout cruising vessels as a starting point.

Here is what I’m looking for:

31ft-36ft (ish) Cruiser
  • Monohull, GRP or Steel. (Would love aluminum but too pricy)
  • Sloop or Cutter Rig, preferably simple rig
  • Strong rudder construction: skeg or stronger
  • No known tendencies to loose keels (like some bavaria's for example) or other devastating design flaws.
  • Headroom for a 187cm / 6ft 2in Person
  • Tiller steering (or easily removeable wheel)
  • 70th or 80th model, the era where stuff was build to last. Anything newer is probably too expensive as well.
  • Able to claw off a lee shore under sail. I’m willing to give up speed and windward performance for space but this is also a safety thing.
  • Good for single handing (I know this is somewhat about personal preference and modding but I’d like to mention it anyways).
  • Budget is sort of flexible, let’s say 30k USD as a ballpark figure. I’d prefer spending some time fixing things instead of saving money for another year.

Thanks a lot!

Andi
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:41   #9

Boat: Scout 30

SteadyHand started this thread that you should check out:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:00   #10

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Cheers,
b.
What Barnakiel said, you buy a project boat or anything that comes close to one your in for spending a lot of time and money
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:03   #11

Boat: lancer 36

bought a bigger boat and my lancer needs to go. very negotiable.

1980 Lancer 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:30   #12

"Fixing things" is a very flexible concept. Any elderly boat you buy will have things about it you think "could be better". How much these things will "bug you" is a matter for you to decide. Does the boat come with a Bimini, but not a dodger (sprayhood) as was the case with TrentePieds? A bimini in the Salish Sea - come on! The remedy was simply to remove it. No dodger in the Salish Sea (or the Baltic for that matter)? Come on! One remedy is to buy a dodger and have it fitted by a professional. There goes five grand. Another remedy is to use the parts of the discarded bimini to make a dodger. There goes fivehunnertbux - and a bunch of time. So you takes yer pick and pays yer money.

That is but one example. Another example which may be more germane in your case is this: 1) You buy a 30 year old boat (in your desired size range) for $30K and go sailing. You will have NO idea of what the state of the engine is. Maybe you win the toss, maybe you don't. 2) You buy a 30 year old boat in your size range for 10 or 12 grand KNOWING that the engine has had the biscuit, and take a week to drop in a band new engine. That'll set you back 15K if a mechanic does it, 12K if you do it yourself. But now the boat will live to be a hundred, for as we all know, "frozen snot" boats don't die - they have to be assassinated.

Until recently, you coulda had a US30 for 15 HUNDRED bux at my marina. No engine, but livable. As I said, it takes a week to install an engine.

I should think that there are similar deals all over the world. But to find them requires local knowledge. So keep your mind open and have a good idea of what you can "live with"/tolerate, and what you can't. No "fibreglass" boat is gonna sink under you as long as you apply what you already seem to know. The biggie is engine condition.

And you are right about the boat needing to be weatherly if you are gonna go cruising. In racing boats it really doesn't matter much, certainly not in "one =-designs", and hardly any more in boats that handicapped under rules. The stark truth is that NOTHING goes to weather like twenty eight hundred RPM. And that is my argument for biting the bullet and dropping a new engine into a "tired" boat.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 15:23   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

As the Canadian dollar continues its downward spiral, our boats are getting cheaper and cheaper.

For a short time in the early 70's, yacht manufacturing in this area was thriving. Quality boats were built and ended up all over the globe. There are still plenty of locally built boats, in great condition, that have never seen salt water. However, the focus at the time was on racing. So most of the locally built models have fin keels and spade rudders. These are great for racing and for lake sailing....but you said you want a skeg rudder or full keel...are you planning to go offshore? Because that one requirement just elimated most of the boats for sale around here.

However, keeping your requirements in mind, I would suggest the Bayfield 36. Its a full keel, heavily built, go anywhere tank: Kingston Yachts for Sale, New & Used Boat Sales, Powerboats & Sailboats - Kingston Yacht Sales

If you want to save a few bucks, look at the Bayfield 32, they are much less $: http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/61884 or http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/59181
This one seems to good to be true, although the economy in that area is quite depressed, so you never know: http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/47389

Another boat that may interest you is the Niagara 35. These are well known boats that have crossed oceans. Here's one near Toronto: 1980 Niagara 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The C&C34 is one of my favorites, and one may be in my future, although it does not meet your rudder criteria: 1980 C&C 34 updated | sailboats | City of Toronto | Kijiji

And finally, I came across this bargain for anyone who might be interested: C&C 27 Great Condition with Trailer! HURRY, must SELL! | sailboats | Oakville / Halton Region | Kijiji

Please let us know if any of these models are of interest, so us locals can help you find what you need. Although this is a global forum, there seem to be plenty of members on the great lakes...it could have something to do with our crappy frozen winters.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 16:55   #14

The budget sounds tight. Sadly my best friend is forced to sell his Omega36 a beautiful Swedish boat for a very very low price. He's unable to sail now.

listing:
Home
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 17:01   #15

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I'm 6'2", and I can stand up straight in the cabin of my 1981 Pearson 367 cutter. It has a skeg hung rudder (but check the bronze gudgeon for crystallization), wheel, no tiller - sorry, but she is heavy and handles high winds easily (I have in fact clawed off a lee shore). And mine has all lines leading back to the cockpit for singlehanding. Two problems - you are not likely to find one in good condition for $30K USD, and there were not that many built in the first place - the 365 ketch version was much more common. If you find a clean 367 for $30K it probably has no electronics, no electric windlass, old sails, and is missing a few other things that you'd like to have. But good luck. Another thought is a Camper & Nicholson 31 - has a tiller.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser