Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2023, 09:26   #16

Re: What to do about Insurance

I have no problem with Self-insured But will the marina let you in?
Hog Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 09:56   #17

Boat: Tartan 3800

If you have not done so already, try Skisafe (www.skisafe.com). They are the company I am presently using for hull insurance.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:24   #18

Right now I am filling out a request for insurance. I want to thank the forum for all there help. I hope this works out. Thanks everybody.
Old 09-05-2023, 12:40   #19

We use USAA on the west coast and got liability.
off-piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 18:33   #20

Boat: Hylas 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Wild View Post
I have a Formosa 41' Sea Wolf, 1974. I can not seem to find any insurance in the state of Florida. I am told the boat is either too old or too long. Companies are telling me that they are only insuring boats up to 35'. With hurricane season approaching, I am looking for a comprehensive policy so I can put the boat on the hard. The marines are telling me, I need insurance on the boat before they will pull it. Really not sure what to do. Looking for suggestions.

Have you tried Edward William. Pretty sure they will insure your boat:

https://www.edwardwilliam.com/
Northbound44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 19:11   #21

Possibility

National Boat Owners Association

https://www.nboat.com/boat-insurance/florida/

NBOA Marine Insurance, the US's leading boat insurance company, wants to remind you that when purchasing or insuring your boat in Florida, remember that Florida insurance is different from insurance in other states for many reasons, like higher risk of storm and flood damage, and access to boating year-round. Here are some aspects of Florida boat insurance to keep in mind. Depending on a variety of factors, including the type of vessel you are operating and years of boating experience, the following may apply:

You may be required to move your boat outside of Florida during hurricane season.
Some carriers will require owners to be a full-time resident of the state, and not have any other property outside the state. Carriers want to make sure owners are with their boat at all times and are not absentee owners, because this represents an added risk for theft. In case of a hurricane, carriers want to make sure owners are able to get their boats to safety.
Companies may limit the length and value of the boat they are willing to insure to protect against shock losses.
Bahamas coverage may be included, or added at an additional cost.
Sailboat owners receive credit because sailboats are not as hazardous as speed boats.
Some carriers put an age minimum on insuring a boat, which is usually 20 years old.
A separate deductible may be required for a sailboat mast, especially if the mast is carbon fiber. Carbon fiber is lighter and stronger, but in the case of an accident it usually must be replaced completely.
Some carriers will not insure catamarans because if they capsize, they cannot be easily righted, like a sailboat.
An auxiliary motor in case of emergencies may be required or given a credit when rating sailboats.
Most carriers use a separate windstorm deductible in the event a boat is damaged during a named windstorm.
Boat Insurance in south Florida can be more costly due to a variety of factors, most importantly theft.
These restrictions are not representative of every carrier, however, so please contact us with any personal concerns. Florida boat ownership can be very rewarding, so insure your boat today and protect your investment for the future. For more information about boat insurance, contact an experienced agent at NBOA Marine insurance at 1-800-248-3512 or complete a free boat insurance quote online.

or

https://flmarineins.com/sailboat-insurance/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 19:55   #22

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-piste View Post
We use USAA on the west coast and got liability.
USAA has a reciprocal agreement with Progressive (at least a few years ago). The insurer is actually Progressive.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:25   #23

thanks but Progressive has already turned me down my boat is to old and to big. Most Insurance seems to cap out 40 years old and 35' long. I am trying edwardwilliam.com/.
They seem to be out of the country. I think they are in Spain?
Old 11-05-2023, 01:29   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Edward Williams will take your money and give you some papers. A German I met once call them "ass wipe papers"

They have a well documented history online. You may get the marina to accept if that's your only concern.

Honestly, I can see you've been caught unawares by this situation and do feel for you.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:36   #25

I don't know what to do. I am not sure of any other choice. I have to put my boat on the Hard to work on it and the mariners want paper.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:38   #26

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Edward Williams will take your money and give you some papers. A German I met once call them "ass wipe papers"

They have a well documented history online. You may get the marina to accept if that's your only concern.

Honestly, I can see you've been caught unawares by this situation and do feel for you.
Concur.
I had my first boat insured with them, a mafia, they take your money, give you some papers and pray you don't have to report the boat.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 17:21   #27

Boat: 1976 Alajuela 38 MK I

Check out: https://www.gowrie.com/Marine-Insura...atsYachts.aspx
gallatin1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 07:22   #28

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

State Farm!!!!!!

Geico dropped me after 22 years with no claims because my boat is steel (of course it always has been)

James Wilkins at at State Farm got me covered and for less than I was paying at Geico

Great guy and service

james.wilkins.f769@statefarm.com
321-255-3572
321-254-8406
Old 12-05-2023, 07:56   #29

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Try Netherlands insurance. Based in Grenada, a lot of cruisers recommend them as they’ll insure most boats with global cruising range.

They don’t cover named storms (good luck finding an insurer that does) but they did cover our cold-moulded 1980’s trimaran - just about the perfect storm of uninsurability😂

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:29   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Wild View Post
I have a Formosa 41' Sea Wolf, 1974. I can not seem to find any insurance in the state of Florida. I am told the boat is either too old or too long. Companies are telling me that they are only insuring boats up to 35'. With hurricane season approaching, I am looking for a comprehensive policy so I can put the boat on the hard. The marines are telling me, I need insurance on the boat before they will pull it. Really not sure what to do. Looking for suggestions.
Have you conatacted us? We can usually get quotes on older boats from Concept Special Risks, but they will want a recent survey to bind the coverage. We might be able to get coverage bound with an in-water survey, with the out of water portion to follow once you are hauled. Or perhaps a dive inspection of the underwater running gear. No guarrantees, but that's the approach I'd take. You can fill out the quote request at www.marineinsurance.cc

Tags
insurance