Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2017, 02:38   #1

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
pirate What To Do When There's Only Zephyrs?

Hi, guys, I decided to start this thread because.....

Because, the mount for our alternator broke, thus no charging and no water pump. So, we were presented with a challenge. We had been bound elsewhere, for a little holiday, dinghying up mangrove creeks, walking to minor waterfalls, all very low key.

There was hardly any zephyrs at all, so this was effortful. It took us from 11:19 till around 16:30 to go about 3 n. mi. There was some contrary current. We never saw over 5 k. apparent. We were ghosting through mirror-like glossy bits of water. Was it fun? not too much, but it was satisfying to eventually be able to anchor where we wanted to. We used the dinghy to straighten out the chain. The forecasted westerly to SW change will eventually set the anchor, and we are where there is good holding.

In thinking about this, I thought most people around here would have called for a tow. But, we didn't need a tow, because we had confidence in being able to sail the boat. And, although it was painfully slow, we came in, well before nightfall.

So, I'm asking all you guys out there who always turn on the engine when there is no wind this question: what on earth are you going to do when it's best not to use the engine, and there's only zephyrs?

Ann
Old 06-05-2017, 03:11   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: What To Do When There's Only Zephyrs?

Hi Ann,... The practical animal in me views 'no wind' much the same as 'too much wind' where I would hove to and relax.

If possible, I would anchor where I was and wait for some wind while reading a good book.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:21   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Said scenario is why I always push for having an SADR of 20 or better, calculated when a boat's fully loaded, & by including the extra sail area of a big jib/headsail in the calc's. And on multi's you need a Bruce Number of 1.3 or better.
I've never owned a boat with less sail than this, & they've all sailed well in winds down to 2-3kts.
SA/D Calculator

For example, my Ranger 33' with a 135% (#2) & my personal kit, plus crew onboard, came in at an SADR of about 20. And the only time she'd not do 2kts or better was in 2kts of wind or less.
My 2-tonner had a light air SADR of 25 with her #1, & would do wind speed or better, from 1kt to 6kts.

Adding a big jib, loose luffed, or standard. Even including a drifter to hank onto a Solent Stay, or a true (racing) Code 0, makes a Huge difference. And a short sprit doesn't hurt to assist with handling & flying such sails; fixed, or detachable. Even if it's just an extra long, supported, anchor roller.
Or you can purchase deck mounted sprit kits from most spar makers & chandleries. Some of them on par with the sprits on J boats, albeit they're deck mounted, & removable when you don't want/need them.

Practical Sailor, Sail, etc. have recently done lots of evaluations on these, along with handling systems for big light air sails. Including furlers, & socks. All of which are great options.

The other method to use, especially if there's little wind, but bouncy seas. Is to hoist a #3 or Windseeker jib, along with the main, & sheet them in board flat. This then allows the boat's rocking motion to create enough induced apparent wind to move you along at 1-2kts, even with the seas.

Also, in either circumstance & sail combo, you want to move as much weight as you can as far to leeward as you can. As well as getting as much of the boat's transom (ass) out of the water as is possible, by similar methods. Such trim makes a large difference in how well you'll be able to sail or not in virtually nill breeze.

The other thing is that you'll need to foot a lot more than usual if you're sailing upwind, as otherwise you'll just make loads of leeway, thus killing your VMG overall. And really, really pay attention to the tides & currents. I've made up 1/2 day to faster boats, in 2 hours time, by playing the tides & currents around a a harbor entrance.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:22   #4

Not sure what you mean by 'best not to use the engine' Ann. If the engine is usable and I want to get somewhere (that might mean just the pub), or I get bored, I'll use the engine. If not I'll sail, or bob, or anchor. Can't imagine even contemplating calling for a tow unless drifting into danger.

But while from a less exalted contributor I might detect self righteousness in the question, in this case I think I might be missing something?!
Nooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:28   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooka View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'best not to use the engine' Ann. If the engine is usable and I want to get somewhere (that might mean just the pub), or I get bored, I'll use the engine. If not I'll sail, or bob, or anchor. Can't imagine even contemplating calling for a tow unless drifting into danger.

But while from a less exalted contributor I might detect self righteousness in the question, in this case I think I might be missing something?!
I'm thinking that she was inquiring as to what your plan is for those times when the batteries are too flat to be used to start the engine. Non?

Which, if things are "urgent", aside from sailing as noted above, you can lash the dinghy along side, & use the OB. Though usually not for long distances.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:29   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I truly hope my personality hasn't changed since becoming a mod. I did not know when my Senior Cruiser might be changed.

Best not to run the engine because the belt that drives the alternator is also the belt that drives the water pump for the engine.

Since it has come up here, yes, most of the waters involved were shallow enough to anchor in, if necessary. We also did eventually use the dinghy, to straighten out the chain.

The reason for the thread is mainly for folks to talk about light air sailing exploits, that reinforce for newbies, the concept of using said light airs, rather than motoring. It is just one of the things that has been brought home to me a lot, that sailing the boat beats calling for help-- if you've practiced and feel you can do it.

Ann
Old 06-05-2017, 03:54   #7

I think theirs an assumption built into the question that those who don't hesitate to use the engine are not competent to sail in light air. I believe that to be a false assumption.

Realistically depends on a lot of variables:
- What is the sea state?
- Is there a viable anchorage nearby?
- Is there a reason to make haste?
- Etc...

As far as options:
- Can I fix the engine? 15min to put on a spare belt and it's a non-issue.
- Can I launch the dingy and hip tow to the destination?
- Is there a better destination for the wind/current conditions that is easier to reach?
- If all else fails...yeah, we slowly work our way to our destination?

Towing would generally be limited to a situation where we or the boat are in danger. Though I could see weekend cruisers late afternoon and hours away calling a tow because they have to be to work the next morning. This doesn't imply they couldn't make it but just that it's a better choice for them to pay a bit to get a good nights sleep so they can be effective the next day while they fund their cruising dreams.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:47   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

This is another reason that's it's good experience to have learned sailing on boats without engines and competed in distance races from 30-100 miles

At some point after having raced in enough of these distance races, the wind will stop completely or almost completely

You need to know that the upper tell tales are the ones to sail by.

You need to try and stay out of adverse current if possible

If near land, which side of the sound, creek, or bay is better as far as wind etc
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:05   #9

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)

Some of my favorite sailing is on glassy water in a force 1 "light air." We have a drifter for those days and it'll take shape of there's any movement to the air at all. Light air sailing skills benefit a lot from practice and keeping close attention to keep way on and not lose any apparent wind. Likewise, currents you might usually ignore can become very important. If land is nearby, reading the water and the land typography can help you plan your route to get considerably more wind and avoid progress killing wind holes.
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:10   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

Had an experience where the retaining bolt unscrewed from the prop shaft allowing the shaft to pull out of the flange. I grabbed the shaft with a vice grip and pulled it forward off the rudder and promptly forgot the problem and went back to sailing.

I recalled the problem when I sailed into Bundaberg Harbour and rather than anchor and fix it decided to attempt to sail up the Burnett River to Bundaberg.

Of course the further I got from the coast the lighter the winds became but I found the challenge so enjoyable continued until I missed a tack when the genoa sheet fouled on the inner forestay and drifted onto a sand bank. I then put the flange back on and motored to the anchorage.

Second occasion was when the gearbox refused to shift into ahead so I sailed my way down through the Great Sandy Straits. Got about half way and when I started the engine in case I wanted to use astern to prevent drifting out of the channel I accidentally pushed the shifter into forward whilst doing a tack and the mongrel thing engaged totally ruining the half completed challenge, very disappointing.

The point, maybe the best thing to do is accept it as a challenge and enjoy it, as you appear to have done, rather than becoming frustrated.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:16   #11

What to do when you have a disabled engine and only zephyrs?

Either sail in the zephyrs or start the other engine!

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:27   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I cant remember the last time I owned or was on a boat with only one means of propulsion.

My Centaur has an outboard bracket on the stern to take the tenders 4 stroke, but can be lowered into the water and used for propulsion.

I could also have used the dinghy and outboard to get where I was going a little faster than using sails alone...

One of my powered craft had a generator shaft to connect to if the engines failed...

I dont think I EVER had to rely on sail alone because the inboard took a dump.

A 46 foot vessel would require at least a 10 horse O/B to move it in calm conditions... but move it will.

I think that is why I like Catamarans and the dual engine setup.... Redundancy...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:36   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

This may be stating the obvious, but there is a difference in skill and experience between light air and heavy air (or even normal) sailing. Different sails, different techniques. And of course, every boat is different, so getting to know how to best keep your boat going in light winds is going to vary for between boats. Practice and experience are important.

On the Great Lakes, and even on the mighty Lake Superior, it is not uncommon to have days or weeks of light or no winds. We’ve sat in anchorages for up to five days waiting for wind, and likewise we’ve happily ghosted along at 0.5 or 1 knot when that’s all the wind would allow. We can do this b/c we rarely have a deadline or a schedule to keep.

Having a set of light-airs sails, being rigged properly, and knowing how to use them, is vital. But I do think one of the biggest challenges I see is not lack of skill, but lack of psychological or emotional ability.

In our never-stop, go fast, strong work ethic, early bird gets the worm... culture many people lack of ability to going slow. It’s simply hard for some folks to sit back, take it easy, and go slow down.

Many of my sailing friends get twitchy when the speedo starts to drop below 3 kn. By 2 knots they’ve exhausted all the sail tweaks they can think of, and they’re reaching for the engine keys. Most sailors I’ve sailed with seem to have this rule about running the engine if speed drops below X knots, regardless of need.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:10   #14

Boat: Outbound 46

We sail on the Lake of Lucerne (Switzerland), and if the sun is shining, the wind is rarely above 5 knots. We have learned to enjoy ghosting along at 1 knot, cheering if we briefly get to 2. Of course the scenery makes up for it.

On the other hand, when cruising in the Caribbean, we have a firm rule of being at anchor in our next destination by 3:00 pm. If that requires turning on the engine, so be it.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:24   #15

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Having a boat design that performs reasonably under a range of conditions is as important as sail inventory and light air experience. Keeping the boat moving under light conditions, while requiring more attention, is always a rewarding challenge. It's my bias that many people new to sailing, tend to be attracted to designs built to provide comfort while sailing in the extreme latitudes and under extreme conditions. They tend to be handsome and salty designs which are comfortable, safe and track well, but most are difficult to coax to make progress under light airs. Under those conditions, the comments shared by Uncivilized would seem to be the best approach; hank on more sail area using the best light air sails in the inventory. Then as Mike OReilly suggests, it comes down to practice and experience. You'll never be good at light air sailing without doing it. It is challenging but rewarding when you learn how to keep your boat moving.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote