Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 15:20   #1

What to look for on a Catalina 30

I am looking at a 1988 tall rig MkII Catalina 30 with a wing keel tomorrow. I want to know what I should look for on my visit. The boat is currently in the water so I cannot inspect everything. This boat has a 22hp universal diesel engine. So right now on my list, I have:

- Check for Catalina Smile (cannot do because the boat is in water)
- Check mast step for compression
- Check all bulkheads to see if they are flush
- Inspect rigging
- Inspect lines/sails

What else should I check? Should I be looking for specific issues on the engine?
Do we have any Catalina experts who want to pitch in?
Kfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 16:18   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: What to look for on a Catalina 30

Look for signs of leakage in the hull to deck joint as well as the obvious places like stanchion bases and portlights.

Jim
Old 05-11-2019, 16:20   #3

Boat: Pearson 424

I previously owned hull 5360, same year and model as what you’re looking at, by ‘88 Catalina changed the bilge so the smile should not be an issue.
Check the engine mounts, specifically the lag bolts. The fiberglass stringers they are screwed into are wood inside. Mine were rotting allowing the engine to slide around.
They’re good boats and hold their value. Good luck.
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 17:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Look for signs of leakage in the hull to deck joint as well as the obvious places like stanchion bases and portlights.

Jim
Will things like leaking Stanchion bases cause soft spots?
Kfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 20:40   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfay View Post
Will things like leaking Stanchion bases cause soft spots?
If the fasteners go through a cored area they can indeed lead to rotting balsa and soft spots in the deck. I dunno if Catalina does the proper sort of deck penetrations... overdrilling and backfilling with epoxy bog before drilling the final hole. And they may have avoided the issue by not coring the deck in those areas. I'm sure that the owner's group has these answers on tap for you.

Good luck... the Cat 30 was a terrifically successful design.

jim
Old 06-11-2019, 08:51   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Look at bottom of chain plates inside on main bulkheads for any signs of leaking. The upper deck plates that are little caps with 4 screws that go over the protruding chainplate at deck level should be removed and recaulked every 2 years min. If they have not, water can (not always but can) get in and run down the chainplates and discolor the wood and even worse rot the bulkhead.

Check the catalina built engine muffler for leaks. They still build them and supply them but they are fibreglass and can develop leaks over the years.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:25   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Read this: Critical Catalina Upgrades. Most apply to our C30's as well.

Is there a maintenance log? Receipts?

Check the electrical systems. If it has shore power, check the condition of the cord (both ends) and the inlet. All 110v outlets must be protected by a GFCI. Either a GFCI breaker (unlikely) or a GFCI outlet protecting the downstream outlets will suffice.

If there is a VHF, try a radio check. You should at least be able to receive NOAA weather.

Do any gauges work? Chartplotter/MFD screens work? Data correct?

If the batteries are wet cell, check the water levels. If you have a hydrometer, check the electrolytes. If you can't and there is no proof to the contrary, assume they are near the end of their life.

If possible, check the oil level. How does it look/feel? Check the air cleaner. Is it really dirty? When were they last changed? Is the engine filthy? Check both before and after any sea trial.

While in the bilge, check the wires, including the VHF cable. Check the oil level. Is there a strainer before the engine? Is it clean? Fuel separator? Water in it, and is it clean?

Take a screwdriver or similar and tap the deck in various areas. Listen for any hollow/dead sounds.

Does it have a steaming light? Do the running lights work?

With luck, the current owner has maintained and upgraded her. Remember, if the small stuff has not been maintained, it does not bode well for bigger/hidden issues.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:27   #8
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfay View Post
I am looking at a 1988 tall rig MkII Catalina 30 with a wing keel tomorrow. I want to know what I should look for on my visit. The boat is currently in the water so I cannot inspect everything. This boat has a 22hp universal diesel engine. So right now on my list, I have:

- Check for Catalina Smile (cannot do because the boat is in water)
- Check mast step for compression
- Check all bulkheads to see if they are flush
- Inspect rigging
- Inspect lines/sails

What else should I check? Should I be looking for specific issues on the engine?
Do we have any Catalina experts who want to pitch in?
For this era / size / value the initial inspection (should be about an hour) get a feel for the layout. How well will it serve your needs (if you have any prior experience to know them). Get a feel for the general condition. Is everything clean and orderly, and look well taken care of. Ask if their are complete service records. Ask for complete inventory list. Ask what isn’t included? Check for any signs of visible damage (collision and water ingress).

Thank the owner or broker. Be polite. Remember that this is someone else boat (hopefully pride and joy, meaning likely excellent condition). Ask permission to board. Take your shoes off unless instructed not to. Be careful not to snoop. It’s OK to check lockers for size and accessibility, but don’t rummage through other people’s personal effects.

Take lots of photos and videos.

Leave.

Compare to the at least 10 other boats you have inspected. Does this one seem good value for money? Does it speak to you (buy me you fool!).

If you wish to purchase the boat, submit an offer with refundable deposit, subject to a satisfactory detailed inspection (take along a very knowledgeable friend if you are not familiar with EVERYTHING that can be wrong with a boat, and what it will take to fix it), sea trial (this is where the propulsion system, sails, and general feel underway is assessed, take the a knowledgeable friend), and professional marine survey (in North America - SAMS or NAMS certified only).

All in this order.

If after each step you are still interested in purchasing, proceed to the next step.

If you have to travel some distance, you may need to perform the detailed inspection in the same day. (I recommend leaving to get a coffee, preparing the offer, and returning to perform the detailed inspection, if the owner accepts your conditional offer.)

There is no point performing a detailed inspection, unless you are prepared to pay full asking price, as until your offer is accepted, you have no idea if the owner will accept any price lower than asking. Many will to some extent, some won’t budge at all if they know the boat is priced fairly,

When selling, if a prospect asks what I am willing to take, I advise them I believe the boat is priced fairly, hand them a blank purchase and sale agreement and ask them to fill it out with what they wish to offer. If it is a fair offer, I accept. If it is slightly below fair, I accept on condition that if I get a better offer (within time period) they will have first right of refusal at the new offer price. If the offer is insulting, I politely send them away.

Always be polite. Any degree of rudeness will end a possible deal in a blink.

I’ve told lots of folks within 15 minutes that I don’t believe my boat is right for them, for this very reason.

When one has a good boat, priced right, they can be choosy who they offer it too. It will sell, to anyone truly interested who actually understands boat value.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:31   #9

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30

I highly recommend joining the "Catalina 30 Sailboat Owners Group" on Facebook and ask your questions.
Check the bulkheads that the chain plates are attached to and look very closely for signs of leaks from the deck.
When you start the engine make sure it is cold (feel the block) if it is not cold ask if you can come back and check the starting when it is cold. If it starts good while cold the compression is likely OK. Watch for smoke and good water flow out the exhaust.
I have an 89 tall rig with wing keel #5656, great boat.
After you do your in the water inspection and all is good you really need to do a hull inspection.
For the hull inspection check for play in the rudder shaft and prop shaft. Check for grounding damage on the keel.
Good Luck
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30