Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2022, 02:13   #1
Marine Service Provider

What was the best Westerly ever built?

I'd vote for the Westerly Fulmar. Just back from sailing this one to Dartmouth. We had perfect conditions, offshore wind, and she sailed really well!

Pete
Old 27-04-2022, 04:02   #2

Re: What was the best Westerly ever built?

++1

Absolutely, Pete. I adore Westerly Fulmars! (Spent 5 years sailing the Solent + South Coast in them.)

Just trying getting your hands on one, though. They're like gold.

LittleWing77
Old 27-04-2022, 05:42   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Said to be one of the best three boats Westerly produced along with the Sealord/Oceanlord combo.
The Fulmar is a Sealord that has had the bit aft of the cockpit chopped off or the Sealord is a Fulmar with 7 feet added aft of the cockpit. Not sure which came first.
Old 27-04-2022, 10:33   #4

Meanwhile there is quite a good thread about Fulmars over at YBW. Still going after 19 years
https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thr...fulmars.29615/
Old 27-04-2022, 12:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Said to be one of the best three boats Westerly produced along with the Sealord/Oceanlord combo.

The Fulmar is a Sealord that has had the bit aft of the cockpit chopped off or the Sealord is a Fulmar with 7 feet added aft of the cockpit. Not sure which came first.
So peculiar, Ping,

While I absolutely LOVE the Fulmar, the Sea/Oceanlord I abhor! Looks like a big wedding cake to me - with an aft cabin slapped on the stern. SO much freeboard! Bleuch.

As far as I'm concerned, to me it seems like apples and oranges - as if the two models were made by different companies...

LittleWing77
Old 27-04-2022, 13:29   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

We love sailing into Dartmouth, a really impressive estuary and a super location. Thankfully we have the deluxe model with two keels, so can go all the way up to Totnes and the lovely old boatyard were people still make stuff with wood.

Pete
Old 27-04-2022, 14:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We love sailing into Dartmouth, a really impressive estuary and a super location. Thankfully we have the deluxe model with two keels, so can go all the way up to Totnes and the lovely old boatyard were people still make stuff with wood.

Pete
I don't think the twin keel Fulmar is a 'deluxe' model - its just a Fulmar with twin keels.

I've sailed on both a Fulmar and my Sealord. Internally they are an identical fitout with the Fulmar just having a slightly less beamy 'floor plan'. Oh and a quarter berth instead of walkthrough and aft cabin/head.

And there I was only recently having recovered from the trauma of being told that my boat had a big bum.

I think the Fulmar looks dumpy, so there!

Both are quite high freeboard and both benefit visually from a horizontal 'speed stripe'- as seen on Pete's vid , neither benefits visually from a 'sit up and beg' dodger.
Old 27-04-2022, 15:21   #8

And now that my cage has been well and truly rattled and having just arisen from a less than satisfactory afternoon nap - we are next to the fuel dock and there is lots of surge.

Photo attached of her in the slings this AM.

'Deckhouse', 'Coachroof', 'whatever' is continuous from a few metres aft of the stem to a foot or so short of the transom and rises to a max of 12" inches above the freeboard deck.

In the cockpit area from - in the photo - the aft sling to the frd leg of the travelift the cockpit coaming is 6 inches higher than the deckhouse and a few inches higher again around the 'instrument cowl'.

That is not 'wedding caked' and she has quite nice buttocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luciasplash (1).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	256769  
Old 27-04-2022, 16:32   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
And now that my cage has been well and truly rattled and having just arisen from a less than satisfactory afternoon nap - we are next to the fuel dock and there is lots of surge.

Photo attached of her in the slings this AM.

'Deckhouse', 'Coachroof', 'whatever' is continuous from a few metres aft of the stem to a foot or so short of the transom and rises to a max of 12" inches above the freeboard deck.

In the cockpit area from - in the photo - the aft sling to the frd leg of the travelift the cockpit coaming is 6 inches higher than the deckhouse and a few inches higher again around the 'instrument cowl'.

That is not 'wedding cake' and she has quite nice buttocks.
Oh, Ping! You know how much I adore you too.

I'm SO sorry that the Sealord is just not my cuppa...

A thousand apologies,
LittleWing77
Old 28-04-2022, 01:45   #10

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

I like my Oceanlord. Big, safe and easily sailed singlehanded - the Hydrovane helps and is a uncomplaining crew member on long offshore passages.
The walk-thru double bunk cabin leads to the roomy aft cabin with its own head, two seater sofa, double bed, hanging locker and plenty of stoage. A quiet and comfortable refuge on passage.
It’s my subjective opinion of course…
Old 28-04-2022, 05:10   #11

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Arguably the 26 ft Westerly Centaur was the best ever - a bit like a Ford Model 'T' of the sea - still loads around giving lots of fun. But I'm biased. I like my Conway - still going strong after 41 years & will probably outlast me. Great sea boat. Big enough & small enough at 36 ft overall.
Mine is a Mark 3 from 1981 (officially its a Mk 2 as launched in 1978 but they were revamped in 1981 with a fabulous all teak interior which still looks pretty good now).
The boat is a fin keel, ketch rig, centre cockpit with a 'stoop-through' internal walkway to the aft cabin - bending my head a bit through there keeps the centre cockpit lower. Designed by Jack Laurent Giles in the early 1970s with a wineglass shaped bottom, long fin keel & a double ender on the waterline, later Westerlies have more accommodation but none are more sea-kindly.
Old 28-04-2022, 05:16   #12

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I do agree the Fulmar is a great boat though & extremely capable.
Old 28-04-2022, 07:13   #13

If its wedding cake you are looking for look no further than the Seahawk
Westerly Seahawk 34 - NOT FOR SALE, details for information only
Said to have been designed 'for the ladies who didn't really want to go sailing'.

The Griffon was the third of the 'three best Westerlys'.
https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/i...tle=Sealord_39
https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/i...fon_and_Fulmar