Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 12:27   #106

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: What's Your Dream Boat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWitt View Post
I think you can dream about any boat especially one you have. Some of you in warmer climates might not understand but mine is aground for the winter. I just dream and read sailing sites wishing for spring to come. I found a boat nothing like I was looking for and developed a love for a boat that I originally thought was less than desirable. I dream about it every day.
Nothing like loving your own boat.

Is your Spray GRP, steel or wood?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 16:02   #107

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray 45RC

Steel. check it out at www.sailperseverance.net. I am going to write the story some day.
JimWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 17:56   #108

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Off the shelf Alajeula 33 or Cal 43

1 quarter berth for each of the kids
head by companion for wet gear
good seaberths for me and the Mrs.
wide side decks for moving fore and aft
plenty of sail area for the size of boat (Cal especially)
Galley sink near or on centerline
reputation for durability

If I could customize, I would take a Cal 40, knock out the bulkhead in way of the mast and move the pilot berths and settees forward to next bulkhead. Galley would be expanded with sink near center line and head would move to opposite side of boat near companion. (secondary effect would put the head outflow on opposite side of boat from galley intake.)
This would give me a layout a lot like the Cal 43 but no second head. Boat would be under 12m so slightly fewer legal requirements to meet. Boat would be smaller/lighter which is more to my liking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alajuela_33_drawing.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	33612   Click image for larger version

Name:	cal_43_drawing.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	33613  

Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 19:24   #109

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel

for me it would be a 50-55ft Ex fishing trawler, built like a tank, I would then take it our of the water and dry the hull (wood), I would then add 10mm-15mm of Kevlar around the forward 50% under water and 5mm of Kevlar around the rear 50%. The front would also get some external steel plating of 10mm-15mm. The Cabin would be extended to allow more internal space and it would all be built lower to keep the COG as low as poss. As much of the internal space as possible would be serious insulation fitted. The Prop would come fitted in a nozzle but I would build gaurds in front of it. I would then increase the fuel capacity to 12,000-15,000L so we would have the range needed.

I would then put my wife, food, water and fuel onboard and head for the northwest passage. Once that trip was down it would be off to the straights of Magellan for a few months of looking around.

Damien
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 21:57   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape
with all the boats out there this is your dream boat..do you work for the company?
Not at all. I just really like them. From what I see they are well made, can be sailed by two people and are well appointed. If you name a boat of similar quality I'd probably like it as well.
I work in the coal fields in Aus and one day my wife and I will sell the house and cruise for a while. I have several pics around the house to remind me of what I'm working for.
laidback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 01:11   #111

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I'm setting in my dream boat typing this an 01 Gemini 105Mc with screecher. I've been seeing pic's of the Gemini's for years and after seeing several coming in to anchorages we were already in while wabbling in our 07 Magregor 26M both my wife and I's eyes would light up we knew it was what we really wanted. I grew up sailing on Hobie cats sence 1962 so a cat was always in my mind, although my wife's sailing had been with her family on monohulls sence 1955 ( at 3 months old ) she was really convenced after sailing a steady 10.5 kt's all day. We've owned our boat one year last month. Today I singlehanded it on a 30 mile cruse in 12 to 25 kt breezes and it was great getting speeds up to 10kt's up stream in a 3.5 kt current I had a great day sailing
Old 13-11-2011, 07:27   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback1 View Post
Not at all. I just really like them. From what I see they are well made, can be sailed by two people and are well appointed. If you name a boat of similar quality I'd probably like it as well.
I work in the coal fields in Aus and one day my wife and I will sell the house and cruise for a while. I have several pics around the house to remind me of what I'm working for.
Nothing wrong with that. Some people like their dreams to be realistic.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 18:27   #113

So-hemming way-who moderates your dreams if you are not realistic?

Cheers
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 18:37   #114
TEE

Thumbs up Re: What's your dream boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Pacific Seacraft 40

I will second this one as my dream boat. I once owned a PSC 37 and it was the sweetest boat I ever owned. It was easy to handle, solid as could be, reliable, safe and cozy. Never felt like I was in any danger in it and I did see some rough weather. I owned it for seven years, never had a problem. Sold it when I went to a larger boat and ended up with a case of seller's remorse. My how I miss that boat. I am not unhappy with the boat I have now, but had I originally bought a PSC 40, I would probably still be sailing it.

Shame the original builder went broke. I understand somebody is trying to make them now in NC, but I really no nothing about the new owners, or whether they are still in business. All I can say is Crealock designed a fine boat.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 22:46   #115

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: What's your dream boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE View Post
Shame the original builder went broke. I understand somebody is trying to make them now in NC, but I really no nothing about the new owners, or whether they are still in business. All I can say is Crealock designed a fine boat.
I'm sure Pacific Seacraft is still in business. I saw a Texas broker with some 2012 models listed.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 01:40   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway

Nothing wrong with that. Some people like their dreams to be realistic.
Haha. Ok. It's not that unrealistic.
laidback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 01:46   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback1 View Post
Haha. Ok. It's not that unrealistic.
I think it's very realistic. No reason why you can't achieve it.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 05:21   #118
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I will second this one as my dream boat. I once owned a PSC 37 and it was the sweetest boat I ever owned. It was easy to handle, solid as could be, reliable, safe and cozy.
Looking at that picture I can surely understand how one can long for owning the boat... so let me try to show how I look at it for the other side of this:

First, I'm a sailor so sure I like the photo. Next thing I see is how wet the decks are... this boat is very wet to sail. This gets confirmed by the clothing of the people in the cockpit. In the conditions show, we wouldn't have a drop on deck...

Next thing that catches my eye is the huge, enormous stern wave... omg, wow! Imagine how much energy is needed to create that wave and then that all this energy comes from the boat and the sails and it's all lost as in not transformed to speed. Conclusion: the hull shape is not very efficient.

Check out the clip below, watch the wake while at speed (20-28 knots in this case of Beowulf).

So yes, I like the boat but wouldn't want to crew it on long passages without a lot of extra crew members to share the burden. Great boat for holiday fun!

http://www.youtube.com/user/DashewOf...12/J4zg5vD_jvI

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 05:51   #119
TEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Looking at that picture I can surely understand how one can long for owning the boat... so let me try to show how I look at it for the other side of this:

First, I'm a sailor so sure I like the photo. Next thing I see is how wet the decks are... this boat is very wet to sail. This gets confirmed by the clothing of the people in the cockpit. In the conditions show, we wouldn't have a drop on deck...

Next thing that catches my eye is the huge, enormous stern wave... omg, wow! Imagine how much energy is needed to create that wave and then that all this energy comes from the boat and the sails and it's all lost as in not transformed to speed. Conclusion: the hull shape is not very efficient.

Check out the clip below, watch the wake while at speed (20-28 knots in this case of Beowulf).

So yes, I like the boat but wouldn't want to crew it on long passages without a lot of extra crew members to share the burden. Great boat for holiday fun!

DashewOffshore's Channel - YouTube

cheers,
Nick.
Well, from looking at the photo, you raise some good points, but on my PSC 37 which I owned for 7 years, I don't ever recall being miserable, wet, or beat up by the boat. On the speed point, the boats are pretty much limited by hull speed like most displacement hulls, but in a large following sea, the canoe stern is wonderful in that the boat does not tend to slew or be pushed into a potential broach as easily as the flat transoms of various configurations.

Although it remains my dream boat -- Valient is clearly out of business -- it is not a perfect boat. I didn't intend to mislead everbody, but the biggest drawback I had to deal with is what to do with the dinghy when you have a canoe stern. The PSC line does have a low shear, and limited freeboard. Davits I did not see as an option, so constantly slogging the dinghy on an off the boat for even moderate hops was kind of a pain as I can recall. Also, the canoe stern sacrifices a lot of interior living space -- you basically give up an aft cabin to have that hull shape, so a lot of people wouldn't like the boat for that reason. And, on the PSC 40, they use the same diesel as on the PSC 37, so motoring is not exciting on the heavier boat.

Anyway, that is the good thing about sailors. Two sailors will rarely agree anything is perfect, or a dream boat, or THE BOAT. Everybody has there own opinion, and your opinion seems perfectly logical and thought out. Fact is I own a Shannon now. See you down in the islands.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 06:31   #120

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
I will second this one as my dream boat. I once owned a PSC 37 and it was the sweetest boat I ever owned. It was easy to handle, solid as could be, reliable, safe and cozy. Never felt like I was in any danger in it and I did see some rough weather. I owned it for seven years, never had a problem. Sold it when I went to a larger boat and ended up with a case of seller's remorse. My how I miss that boat. I am not unhappy with the boat I have now, but had I originally bought a PSC 40, I would probably still be sailing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_78 View Post
I'm sure Pacific Seacraft is still in business. I saw a Texas broker with some 2012 models listed.
They have a website up so it looks very much like they are still in business. The copyright on the site is 2008 but this link says they will be posting 2012 events soon. Pacific Seacraft : Events
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote